• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do you play this...?

qprfan99

Sep 26, 2011
I've never played a game of this kind before. Never really played any kind of computer game before. But I have a great interest in Stalingrad which was what drew me to this.
I've doenloaded it from Steam but there's no manual!! I don't know how to do anything. Oh, except move forwards, left, backwards & right (press W, A, S or D - I think).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I'm getting on a bit could I ask you to type slowly - my eyes aren't what they were!! :)

Kind regards
Larry

Hello

If you play the single player campaign it will give you basic, intermediate and advanced/vehicle instructions as a tutorial. I would recomend doing this before diving into online play so you can get a feel for it and see what each role involves. I hope you enjoy the game and wish you best of luck.

Kind regards,

Nemo.

Upvote 0
Tips for a beginner player:
1. Expect to die. A lot. (in game of course.)
You are new to the game, and unless it is release day, other people aren't. They know more, they've learned tricks, they've studied game play patterns and can start to expect when/where things will happen. You can't. You are at a major disadvantage. Keep playing, observe, and every time you fail/die, remember to not spend the time simply watching the spawn counter, but ask yourself "Why didn't that work?"

2. Become familiar with the controls.
Ideally do this off line. Figure out how things work, how your character moves, and teach yourself to be able to do basic controls without thinkings about them. If you're thinking "Wait, what key makes my character go prone again?", you're likely about to go back to tip number 1 very soon.

3. Set small goals.
Starting off a new game, especially a style of game you've never played before, with the idea that you'll be the best in the server isn't going to work. Set yourself small goals at the start. "I want to get at least one kill every 5 deaths." or something like "I want to be in second to last position on the board, instead of dead last."

Remember the game is team based, and you get more points for aiding your teammates. Hanging back isn't too bad if you're brand new to the game, but keep an eye out, figure out the goals of the different maps, and then start moving toward them. You'll use tip 1 a lot, but eventually you'll figure out the maps and begin to do better. The goal of RO2 is to get your butt in the correct zones, and keep it there, while keeping the opposing team off the zone.

Even if you can't hit anything, you can still help your team win by simply sitting there adding to the cap/defense score.

Also, remember to press ctrl (use) when you come up on a friendly machine gunner. 5 free points, and he keeps shooting. Win Win. Just remember to not run in front of him right after giving him ammo.

Reactions: dibbler67
Upvote 0
Others have done a good job of getting you going in the right direction. My suggestion would be to think about cover and where you could take fire from. When you poke your head (slightly) out from the side of the window, are you exposing yourself to just a small angle, or are you visible from every part of the street and buildings opposite you?

Keeping this in mind will get you killed a lot less.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the advice. I think I needed even more basic advice than that though.
I'll try the training scenario - I did try this before but came up against some barbwire very early on & couldn't get over it!!! Some instructions did come up (very faintly & very small) but they told me to press 3 different buttons (I tried to do that at the same time & separately) & nothing happened.

I lied to you earlier when I said I hadn't played a computer game before - I had one go at Castle Wolfenstein in 1995 I think. And I did have a go at a text game called ADVENTRE (from memory) in about 1984/5. And I definitely know what a computer is!!

My interest was piqued because of the graphics & perceived atmosphere as I have a great interest in Stalingrad. I used to play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) a very complex boardgame but illness has virtually restricted me to my home. This game looked ideal!

Thanks again
Larry

PS If further down the track you see somebody running the wrong way or standing around looking bemused - take pity. Kill me gently - I hate pain!

Upvote 0
Just in case you didn't catch this (it wasn't mentioned), you use your mouse to look around and aim.

The right mouse button (RMB) puts you to your sights to aim, and the left mouse button (LMB) fires your gun.

If you have a middle mouse button, or scroll wheel, push that to strike / stab with your weapon. Rolling the mouse wheel changes which weapon or accessory you currently are holding (rifle, pistol, binoculars, grenade...)

Oh, don't go OVER the barbed wire. You want to crawl under it. Hit your ALT key to hit the dirt. If it's not too low, you can crouch by pressing the C key (press again to stand), and walk under it while crouching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the advice. I think I needed even more basic advice than that though.
I'll try the training scenario - I did try this before but came up against some barbwire very early on & couldn't get over it!!! Some instructions did come up (very faintly & very small) but they told me to press 3 different buttons (I tried to do that at the same time & separately) & nothing happened.

I lied to you earlier when I said I hadn't played a computer game before - I had one go at Castle Wolfenstein in 1995 I think. And I did have a go at a text game called ADVENTRE (from memory) in about 1984/5. And I definitely know what a computer is!!

My interest was piqued because of the graphics & perceived atmosphere as I have a great interest in Stalingrad. I used to play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) a very complex boardgame but illness has virtually restricted me to my home. This game looked ideal!

Thanks again
Larry

PS If further down the track you see somebody running the wrong way or standing around looking bemused - take pity. Kill me gently - I hate pain!

Ex ASL player here too, Larry, and believe me, if you liked that you'll love this. It's the nearest thing you'll get to a first person version of ASL.

Do what everyone else said, take the single player tutorial then when you're ready for multiplayer do what you would have had to do in the real thing, follow your team mates, stick close to them, watch what they do, let them go first.

Pretty soon you'll be running round like a pro, probably shooting me in the head every five minutes. Why not, everyone else does.

Upvote 0
Something else to keep in mind, the prone in this game is a little buggy/annoying. Sadly, rather than modeling the player as a flexible being who can squeeze into a number of places (Very hard to animate/process while interacting with multiple players in a fast pace game) they made your character a plank.

This means that you can "Be too close" to something when you try to prone or move while prone. If you can't go prone some where, move around a little and try to find a long open spot where you can fit into.

Look through the controls, read what they do, and consider changing stuff around to better suit yourself. If you find it is hard to hit a given key to do something, then change things around. Ideally you want to be able to not even think about things, and will just press them automatically as you need to. This comes with practice. Don't worry if you look like an idiot while learning. (I've yet to meet someone who could work a clutch properly their very first time. This is actually far more complex.)

Have fun, play around with the first few levels in single player, and when you feel that you're ready to try it out, hop on to a multiplayer server and see what happens.

Just remember, you will get shot, you will spend time waiting to spawn (Look for servers running TE_ or FF_ maps. These allow you to have multiple lives per round.)

If people annoy you or complain about how badly you play, just go find another server. Eventually you'll get better. Try to find some 'local' servers to you. Sort the servers by Ping, and look for nice low numbers, but anything below 100 is great. Up to 200 is playable, but beyond that it starts to get bad. Hang out in places regularly, and you'll get to know people.

Use the TAB key to view your scores. See which people on your team are getting the highest team score, and then keep an eye out for them when you spawn. Follow them and watch what they do.

Upvote 0
Shift=Sprint or zoom when aimed in.
ALT=Go prone/get up from prone
Ctrl=action key. Pick up weapons/go into cover/use radio
Space=Jump/mantle

Leftmouse=Shoot
Rightmouse=Aim
Middlemouse (click scrollwheel)=Melee

Scrollwheel=set weapon range
1=Mainweapon
2=Pistol (if you have one)
3=Grenade (when holding grenade you either click mouse to throw (hold mouse and release in a few seconds to cook it) or use meleebutton (middlemouse is default) to underhand throw/lob

Hmm... what else is there. If you press forward and sprint while prone you will get up and start running. When you let go you will automatically go back to prone.

Also, I recommend rebinding the melee key to something more easily accessible than middlemouse. If you have thumbbuttons on your mouse these are ideal for it. You can change keybinds under options/controls.

There's more to it than that. Commanding and stuff but you'll be ready for it when you get to those training missions. Before that you will have plenty firefights as a common grunt :)

Hope you enjoy the game. Welcome aboard.

Edited: Forgot ctrl being the multikey :p C is crouch right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the best thing to know is that this game is a very damn hard one. Even the absolute best players who have been playing this game since the very first version still get slaughtered (and accidentally kill their teammates) quite often, even the people who made the game! Patience is the most important thing with this game. I've had a few friends that decided they disliked this game due to their lack of patience. It's just a case of practise, practise, practise, and personal development. You learn to play RO almost as if it were some form of art. :)

Upvote 0
Basic movement:

W : Forwards
A: Strafe left
S: Bacwards
D: Strafe right

Q : Lean left
E : Lean right

Space : Jumps or vaults over obstacles.
C : Toggles crouch stance (makes your avatar crouch).
Alt : Toggles prone stance (makes your avatar lie on the ground).

Ctrl : Multifunction "action" key: used to stick to cover, resupply teammates, pickup weapons, etc.

Left mouse button : Fires your weapon.
Right mouse button : Toggles ironsights (aims your weapon).
Middle mouse button : Hold to charge a melee attack; release to strike.

Scrollwheel : Cycles weapons
1, 2, 3, etc. : cycles weapons

I think those key binds are the default ones. You might feel the need to tweak those key binds in the options menu for a more "personnal" feel; feel free to do so.

Upvote 0