• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

There is probably something simple to this but when I am editing a brush say likeI want to select the vertices and drag them to a bigger shape is there a way to drag but to keep the edges square, instead of like free drag. I always ge off by one grid mark and everything is at an angle.

I think what i need here is the dragface button but does anyone know how to use it tried it and didnt get it to work do you drag faces of redbuilder or of brushes already in game?

Upvote 0
Crushing my brains with the masterobjectivemanager and it really hurts.
The logical seems not to sink in my grey matter.

The map i worked on has been test last week it ran fine but i want to change the last part of the cap sequence.

The map has 5 objectives. The first part runs fine

objective 0 and objective 1 has to be taken by the axis they are not recapable.

Once these 2 are taken it opens up objective 2

Objective 2 is recapable.

Once Axis take objective 2 it will open up objective 3 while Axis still need to defend and hold objective 2 until they have taken objective 3

Here is where the braininjure starts.

When Axis take objective 3 it will open up the final objective 4 but it refuse to close down objective 2

At a certain point i was really close. Objective 2 was closed for the Axis but the Allies still had to attack it. I feel like i'm close to solve it but the trial and error starts to show on my face already.

So this is what i want.

obj 0 obj 1 Axis attack - Allies defend no recap

obj 2 Opens up once obj 0 and obj 1 is taken

Obj 3 Opens up as axis take obj 2 but obj 2 is recapable.

Obj 4 Opens up when Axis take obj 3 this must close down obj 2
but obj 3 is recapable

Any help cause the brain really hurts ?

This is what i have now

mas.jpg

Upvote 0
YAY!!! A real question!

I have an JS2 that I'm trying to make a stationary gun emplacement, read: a broken down russian tank. When I put a blocking volume on it that blocks only IS2s, (yes I have everything set correctly) is there a way to remedy the fact that it spawns and jumps up into the air, causing it to just hover there?

It looks bad, and it wouldn't be to the tone of my map to make it its own little foxhole type deal...

any advice?

Upvote 0
YAY!!! A real question!

I have an JS2 that I'm trying to make a stationary gun emplacement, read: a broken down russian tank. When I put a blocking volume on it that blocks only IS2s, (yes I have everything set correctly) is there a way to remedy the fact that it spawns and jumps up into the air, causing it to just hover there?

It looks bad, and it wouldn't be to the tone of my map to make it its own little foxhole type deal...

any advice?

I could be wrong but isnt there an unmovable setting in the props somewhere.

Upvote 0
Crushing my brains with the masterobjectivemanager and it really hurts.
The logical seems not to sink in my grey matter.

The map i worked on has been test last week it ran fine but i want to change the last part of the cap sequence.

The map has 5 objectives. The first part runs fine

objective 0 and objective 1 has to be taken by the axis they are not recapable.

Once these 2 are taken it opens up objective 2

Objective 2 is recapable.

Once Axis take objective 2 it will open up objective 3 while Axis still need to defend and hold objective 2 until they have taken objective 3

Here is where the braininjure starts.

When Axis take objective 3 it will open up the final objective 4 but it refuse to close down objective 2

At a certain point i was really close. Objective 2 was closed for the Axis but the Allies still had to attack it. I feel like i'm close to solve it but the trial and error starts to show on my face already.

So this is what i want.

obj 0 obj 1 Axis attack - Allies defend no recap

obj 2 Opens up once obj 0 and obj 1 is taken

Obj 3 Opens up as axis take obj 2 but obj 2 is recapable.

Obj 4 Opens up when Axis take obj 3 this must close down obj 2
but obj 3 is recapable

Any help cause the brain really hurts ?

This is what i have now

mas.jpg

Ah, a wonderful old objective manager question. The nostalgia. :)

Ok, I find it best to think in transitions. Your map has the following transitions.

1) When objs 0 and 1 are capped by Germans, activate 2
2) When obj 2 is capped by Germans, activate 3
3) When obj 3 is capped by Germans, deactive 2
4) When obj 3 is capped by Germans, activate 4
5) When obj 2 is capped by Soviets, deactivate 3
6) When obj 3 is capped by the Soviets, deactivate 4
7) When obj 3 is capped by the Soviets, activate 2

So, you need 7 entries in the manager. I find it best to do each transition in a single entry.

From your description, and from the screeny, it looks like you don't have enough. It sounds like you may have forgotten a few of the transitions to turn things back on when the soviets recapture.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I'll poke around... in the blockingovlume settings, I found something about "liquid" so and so, meaning air. I turned that to no, and The tank spawned correctly, yet the blocking volume didn't do any blocking when you drive it... I'll keep looking...

Did you set the tank in the blocking volume or set blocking volumes around the tank? I think you have to do the latter. I know someone was playing around with this 5 or 6 months ago - there may even be some posts in this thread about it.

It would be much more interesting if you could spawn the tank with engine or track damage already sustained.

Upvote 0
Ah, a wonderful old objective manager question. The nostalgia. :)

Ok, I find it best to think in transitions. Your map has the following transitions.

1) When objs 0 and 1 are capped by Germans, activate 2
2) When obj 2 is capped by Germans, activate 3
3) When obj 3 is capped by Germans, deactive 2
4) When obj 3 is capped by Germans, activate 4
5) When obj 2 is capped by Soviets, deactivate 3
6) When obj 3 is capped by the Soviets, deactivate 4
7) When obj 3 is capped by the Soviets, activate 2

So, you need 7 entries in the manager. I find it best to do each transition in a single entry.

From your description, and from the screeny, it looks like you don't have enough. It sounds like you may have forgotten a few of the transitions to turn things back on when the soviets recapture.

Good luck.

Had fixt this already but thanks for the explain.....

Upvote 0
When I paint the sand layer of my terrain map the effect is like masked halftone: jjust dots are appearing. How do I get a smooth painting?

Is it your own sand texture? If not, it may be an alpha texture with a grey alpha channel - check the material properties and open up the category which contains the properties masked, alpha and two-sided.

Also make sure you are using the paint tool, not the noise tool by mistake when you apply the texture. Other things to look out for might be to make sure you haven't acidentally duplicated the terrain info or that the alpha map for the entire layer has somehow got corrupted.

PM me if you are still having probs or get me on MSN - (same address as my email)

Upvote 0
I got a little problem and seems like this is the place to go:
I got three objective in my map, two are active right from the get-go and the axis (attackers) must secure the first two in order to capture the third. Thing is, once they have secured the first two points it doesnt matter if allies retake them, the third objective is still active. I'm betting its a quick fix but its the FINAL DAY OF THE COMPETITION so im a bit stressed out ;)
anyone know?
*Nevermind, think i got it.

*Yup, yup i did. Nevermind me ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got a little problem and seems like this is the place to go:
I got three objective in my map, two are active right from the get-go and the axis (attackers) must secure the first two in order to capture the third. Thing is, once they have secured the first two points it doesnt matter if allies retake them, the third objective is still active. I'm betting its a quick fix but its the FINAL DAY OF THE COMPETITION so im a bit stressed out ;)
anyone know?
*Nevermind, think i got it.

*Yup, yup i did. Nevermind me ;)

Cool!! Proof of; "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

Upvote 0
okay, a [not so] long time ago, in a galaxy [not so] far away, someone reccomended me using the 2d shape editor to help me build a roof for a 640x600 bulding. Anyone feel like elaborating upon that, like actually writing a quick tut on it? I checked the wiki, but there was nothing there on actually using it...

Well i would try here for the TUT http://unreal.gamedesign.net/tutorials/3/wolftut3.html

Then, which i hadnt even thought of this though. So now i am going to figure out the editor for my map. I think that you would just make a triangle 600 units wide at the base and then extrude it to 640 walla , import to your map.

Upvote 0
okay, a [not so] long time ago, in a galaxy [not so] far away, someone reccomended me using the 2d shape editor to help me build a roof for a 640x600 bulding. Anyone feel like elaborating upon that, like actually writing a quick tut on it? I checked the wiki, but there was nothing there on actually using it...

2d shape editor. Ugh.

I think it would actually be faster to show you how to model and texture a roof for your building in a 3d application.

Is this a relatively simple roof? You know, two sides, angled down, that sort of thing? I'd suggest making a mesh for this.

Upvote 0