• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How customizable are the MP AVATARS?

dodger bullet

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Any news on this yet?

Is it resilient enough to have some variety (especially in the Russian side)?

The Soviets, we knew that females fought, various ethnicity fought -- notably those of Asian/Eurasian descent.

Can we manage age as well, I'm sure no hitleryouth yet seeing as it's only in the stalingrad campaign, but at least 17-40?

toggling height discrepancy -- the latter would prove problems I'm sure, but at the same time I'd hate to see everybody of the same height.

oh, and I do hope there are more various death/dying SFX of men's throes. the first one had that one distinct guy screaming for all sides, it became a bit distracting.

aside from that, this game's looking hella good, talking about to my buddies quite a lot and passing the good word.

To be honest I think it would be better to spawn with a random face. I don't want to be fighting and see the guy beside me get his face shot off, then see the exact same guy run past me a few seconds later. And anyway with all this customization business its 1st person shooter so you won't ever get to see your face. That is unless someone adds mirrors so we can all sit around and look at how lovely our characters are.

Reactions: Mosin
Upvote 0
I dont think that this should be included, mainly because I want the russians to look russian and the germans to look germans. Also, when was the last time you looked carefully at another players face, rather than a roundish, flesh colored target with a helmet that is a couple pixels by a couple pixels, staring at you from behind a piece of rubble?

When in game, you almost never look at the face of another player close enough to notice any features other than eyes, nose, and mouth. The only time you would notice is in the back of a troop carrier or in a tank, and then in a tank, you will be too busy shooting stuff to notice. While its a cool idea, and works well for things like arma, where is perfectly viable to spend a half hour advancing on an objective, in RO, the whole round only lasts 15 minutes, and you are lucky if you live for 5 straight.

If you were to include this feature, It would be best to include a large selection of heads and let you pick from presets, but I still think that they should just give us randomized heads.

If anything is customizable about your avatar, I would like to see different heights in the soldiers. That would be something that you would notice, varying heights in a group of enemies or friends running forward. It might even have a gameplay element, if you are taller, you can carry more but are a larger target.

Overall, I think that custom faces are a gimick which isn't needed. Its rarely noticed and not worth the extra resources, both pre-launch and the toll it will take on performance, required for it to work.

Upvote 0
the user has no control over how they look.

Where is this indicated?

And @everyone else; my idea of light customization really just applies to gear, helmet nets/covers, and some subtle differences in uniforms. But of course, that's just what I want. In the end, there's always texturing new varieties of uniforms if something like that doesn't ship vanilla.

Upvote 0
If height was a configurable factor, everyone would choose to be midgets, so they make smaller targets.

But if carrying would be affected it could again be balanced out (midgets with mg would be cool though)
Random 1-5 cm standard deviation would be cool so not everyone is the same height

Only thing I want to see are slight gear changes or an armpatch (or realistic equivalent) as in R6 raven shield. Nice to recognize your mates without a hud.

Upvote 0
the main reason I like customization in fps games is for variation, unlike bc2 and its 8 models/faces/uniforms. From what I'v seen of the gameplay and heard about the hero system. I don't think its really necessary, It looks like there will be plenty of it.

so far I have seen a huge amount of faces and we know that guns and uniforms will change in appearance over time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0