• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How customizable are the MP AVATARS?

I enjoy FPS avatar customization as much as anyone (God knows how much time I've put into Halo: Reach to unlock new armor parts:p)

But RO's style of gameplay doesn't really appeal to a customization feature, in terms of looks. In ROOST, everyone is pretty much a nameless face in the battle, since there are such large teams, and you are going to die, a lot. It pulls you out of the immersion if you see the same, distinct-looking avatars all the time. Small variations in models are nice, but only to illustrate the point that each soldier is a different face, but still looks very similar to his teammates in terms of uniform

Upvote 0
In Mount & Blade the face customization is very useful and noticeable. I use it to identify buddies on the battlefield in Mount & Musket mod. The face customization in M&B is extensive enough to make faces stand out, good for instantly recognizing friends. But HOES probably won't have face customization. Russian people look different from German people and I think that TWI wants to model that. It wouldn't be worth the time needed to implement such a feature either.

But tiny differences in uniform or helmet would be pretty great.

On the subject of recognizing your clan buddies or whatever, I think the nametags of people on your Steam friends list should be in a different colour, making identification easier.

I want a slider to roll up my sleeves to custom lengths.

Suggestion of the month. :IS2:

Reactions: Alvin Fuchs
Upvote 0
If height was a configurable factor, everyone would choose to be midgets, so they make smaller targets.

this. sliders are made to be dragged far to one end or the other. have a look at some of the stuff they came up with in the new eve character creator. heaps of them are either as retarded as they could make them look, or pictures of themselves looking at their own massive tits :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If height was a configurable factor, everyone would choose to be midgets, so they make smaller targets.

Not necessarily, If it meant that you had to choose between a grenade and a stripper clip or two, or a couple inches in height and width added to your frame, then it might make ppl choose a balance.

Regardless, if it is possible I would love to see different heights introduced, although random would probably be better

Upvote 0
Not necessarily, If it meant that you had to choose between a grenade and a stripper clip or two, or a couple inches in height and width added to your frame, then it might make ppl choose a balance.

Regardless, if it is possible I would love to see different heights introduced, although random would probably be better

As interesting as this is is,it seems a little too RPG for ROHOS.

Upvote 0
can we also customize our hair color, hair style, facial accessories (ear rings, eye shadow), and color nail polish?

Seriously, this game uses "reinforcements", it wouldn't be logical if you spawned as the same person every time.

Although I do appreciate customization, as can be seen of my customized avatars in ARMA2 (special gloves on my player with my university logo and my own face) but truth be told, uniqueness is far more important in ARMA than RO since it's far more difficult distinguishing between people and can often be the difference between living and dieing. RO isn't quite that tight nit.

Upvote 0
I think some light customization on uniforms and appearances would be wonderful for the realism community, letting you distinguish people over time by appearance when icons are turned off or too far away for them to work. Gameplay is always #1, but little things like not fighting clones make a huge difference. (IE-just the simply uniform changes in some of the total war games made battles feel much nicer).

Any personal control over your character IMHO is a good thing, makes people feel a bit more invested in a character even if you do lose him repeatedly. :)

Upvote 0
Seriously though, there should be premade characters and slight uniform customizations to choose from.

I know RO isn't barbie, but you should be able to choose the general age/hair color of your character, within the limits of ethnicity of course, and you should be able to make your uniform slightly different unlike Star Wars stormtroopers.

Upvote 0
agree with above poster.

people here seems to be on closeminded rage mode right now.

midgets, nail polish. oh the despair, for asking if it could be possible. calm down grognards.

i understand better use of resource elsewhere in the game, like making more maps, mover vehicles etc. instead of waisting it at this seemingly cosmetic-only value of a proposal.

but i'm sure if the dev do have their hands tied -- customizable avatars as aforementioned could be done by an indie modders.

the application of customizable variety not only lends to cosmetic personal reference, but may very well be ingratiated in some reward system.

based on what i've gathered so far, the reward system on your avatar only spans to 'the more dirty and rip your uniform are -- the hardcorer one is.' based on that, i really don't see myself just jonzing for that nice new ripped up pants when i level up! tis a badge of honor thing, i understad, i love that, and i'm not implying we should get shiny polished boots and medals to wear either -- but rather have more option on how to take our metted out, well used soldiers as he grows from green to vet. how to wear our uniform to stand from the rest of the crowd. i.e. have options to buttoned down collar, sleeves, wearing certain wehrmacht armband in a different way, scars, camo.

nothing that would make the game outlandish and disproportionate as COD WAW where the germans would be using BARS, AMERICANS with panzerfausts etc.

no i'm not saying we can have 'dark skinned' tone in the avatar, barbie doll units in ivan's side. i'm not being racist nor politically correct, just being authentic. just have the option to pick and customize -- that is relevant to the scale of the operation.

as for height. why not limit it to 5'5 to 6'3. whatever, it's just a theory and a proposal, tripwire are smart, i'm sure they'll find a way to balance it out.

as somebody proposed -- the smaller, nimbler, the more agile. yet on the other hand, more prone to death/not able to carry as much.

but i'm sure the game is already far ahead of development that such factors as weight-height attributes could be beyond this game's timeline, and is best be considered for the next installment/mod, seeing as they may take more time to implement.

regardless, the reward system for having more customizable avatar, clan badges, etc. wouldn't hold the game down, nor put it in some RPG-ISH shooter, although we are getting some sort of an XP system seeing as there is a reward system.

be that as it may, the way for Tripwire's incentive to get the COD crowd in, without mismanaging and alienating the simulation-RO vets, like I, out there -- a customizable avatar is going to be present. whether they maybe as intensive as this thread proposed, or light, it's there. so why not make it better.

is all, just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
Very few people are going to choose a 6'3" because he can carry more.

Being 5'5" far outweighs any benefits of being tall.

and height is pointless anyway, customizable faces and clothing are more appropriate and sensible.

However as I stated before, having the same 20 guys spawn on one side sort of kills the whole illusion of "reinforcements" even though the current characters that spawn really aren't much different from each other in the first place.

btw, I don't see anyone in "rage mode" or being "gongrats"...not sure where you acquired your vocab, but it stinks of high school.

Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
agree with above poster.

people here seems to be on closeminded rage mode right now.

midgets, nail polish. oh the despair, for asking if it could be possible. calm down grognards.

i understand better use of resource elsewhere in the game, like making more maps, mover vehicles etc. instead of waisting it at this seemingly cosmetic-only value of a proposal.

but i'm sure if the dev do have their hands tied -- customizable avatars as aforementioned could be done by an indie modders.

the application of customizable variety not only lends to cosmetic personal reference, but may very well be ingratiated in some reward system.

based on what i've gathered so far, the reward system on your avatar only spans to 'the more dirty and rip your uniform are -- the hardcorer one is.' based on that, i really don't see myself just jonzing for that nice new ripped up pants when i level up! tis a badge of honor thing, i understad, i love that, and i'm not implying we should get shiny polished boots and medals to wear either -- but rather have more option on how to take our metted out, well used soldiers as he grows from green to vet. how to wear our uniform to stand from the rest of the crowd. i.e. have options to buttoned down collar, sleeves, wearing certain wehrmacht armband in a different way, scars, camo.

nothing that would make the game outlandish and disproportionate as COD WAW where the germans would be using BARS, AMERICANS with panzerfausts etc.

no i'm not saying we can have 'dark skinned' tone in the avatar, barbie doll units in ivan's side. i'm not being racist nor politically correct, just being authentic. just have the option to pick and customize -- that is relevant to the scale of the operation.

as for height. why not limit it to 5'5 to 6'3. whatever, it's just a theory and a proposal, tripwire are smart, i'm sure they'll find a way to balance it out.

as somebody proposed -- the smaller, nimbler, the more agile. yet on the other hand, more prone to death/not able to carry as much.

but i'm sure the game is already far ahead of development that such factors as weight-height attributes could be beyond this game's timeline, and is best be considered for the next installment/mod, seeing as they may take more time to implement.

regardless, the reward system for having more customizable avatar, clan badges, etc. wouldn't hold the game down, nor put it in some RPG-ISH shooter, although we are getting some sort of an XP system seeing as there is a reward system.

be that as it may, the way for Tripwire's incentive to get the COD crowd in, without mismanaging and alienating the simulation-RO vets, like I, out there -- a customizable avatar is going to be present. whether they maybe as intensive as this thread proposed, or light, it's there. so why not make it better.

is all, just a suggestion.

My thing with the whole leveling system is that, it makes no sense making more experienced soldiers have ripped and tattered clothes, it should depend on the time and place.

Why should you have torn apart clothes at the begining of Stalingrad, or how could there be a fresh German recruit after december 42?

I also don't think more experienced soldiers should necessarily be older, the war only lasted a few years, there were young guys with plenty of experience, and older ones who never picked up a rifle.

Very few people are going to choose a 6'3" because he can carry more.

Being 5'5" far outweighs any benefits of being tall.

and height is pointless anyway, customizable faces and clothing are more appropriate and sensible.

However as I stated before, having the same 20 guys spawn on one side sort of kills the whole illusion of "reinforcements" even though the current characters that spawn really aren't much different from each other in the first place.

btw, I don't see anyone in "rage mode" or being "gongrats"...not sure where you acquired your vocab, but it stinks of high school.

Height would actually be cool, not have midgets or giants, maybe there could be a limit between 5"5 and 6"3 that you could choose, being shorter would make you less of a target but being taller would make you faster and carry more.

Upvote 0
Would you actually notice?

The thing with custom faces and gear is that you would better recognize clanmates and pubbers. You really won't notice any difference to yourself.

I always try to look for specific people in combat by going up to them and seeing their names, it would be easier to be like "those are some clan members because of their patches" or "theres my friends with that cover on his helmet".

Upvote 0
I always try to look for specific people in combat by going up to them and seeing their names, it would be easier to be like "those are some clan members because of their patches" or "theres my friends with that cover on his helmet".

That's all you really need.

I remember Rainbow 6 supported squad patches, but those were typically very small arm patches that were unnoticeable at all but short range.

OFP and ARMA allow for badges as well, even on vehicles (larger badges) which are actually useful with the vehicles.

But most of these options are not very practical in regards to spotting friends. Even if you had a face editor (most people end up with similar faces due to limitations) you still wouldn't know how that was 20 yards from you, as it should be.

I think 3d voice could help in these situations.

Upvote 0

so we can recognise zetsumei in-game because he'll have an image of stalin holding a crayon on the back of his helmet?

Upvote 0