• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation How can I share my prefabs for others to use?

Firstly, I realize I might be going about this all wrong from the start...so I'll start at the beginning. Also, keep in mind that I'm completely inexperienced with the SDK/UDK or any other dev tools... all I know are Maya, a little Mudbox, and Adobe programs...

I have a custom mesh, actually a group of separate mesh objects, and set of texture maps to go along with them put together in Maya 2011, exported as FBX.

When I import the FBX into the SDK, each mesh object is its own separate entity in the Content Browser, so when I try to put those objects into the world I have to do so one by one and realign each of them to their proper positions. That's inconvenient enough on my own, but exponentially so if I'm trying to share my custom objects with another person or two with whom I'm working.

So, what are my options, and what are the proper ways of doing so, for sharing custom work?

I've tried just giving them the FBX, but they run into 2 problems. 1) they, as mentioned, get a bunch of unorganized meshes. 2) they use the import setting to combine the meshes together and everything comes in as a single mesh, but being that they some meshes have a different set of texture maps, that just screws the looks of everything up.

I've tried importing the FBX into the SDK myself, then making the group a prefab, and I try to "export to file..." but that only gives me the option of a T3D file and that becomes a less than 10kb file... obviously not what I'm looking for.

I've tried (with the prefab) exporting the Package as a T3DPKG file, but when my project partner receives the file apparently there's no prefab, instead it's just back to being a disorganized set of meshes again. (maybe he's mistaken? not seeing the prefab amongst the meshes? don't know for sure)

So where am I going wrong? I can't seem to find any specific resources on this subject elsewhere, at least not when it comes to sharing prefabs and such.

I know I could rework my custom mesh in Maya and redo the texture maps to make the entire thing as one single complex mesh all using the same textures, but even if I did that for this object, I can still see this being an issue for future endeavors.

The terminology might be different but I'm pretty sure I can do what was explained in the tutorial you posted in Maya. If not, I can probably just throw my model into Max and follow the tutorial step by step.

I didn't list Max among my skills earlier because it's literally been over a decade since I last used it.

Thanks, c200K, I'll reply again after I give this a try!

Upvote 0
Ended up going a little different route with the model I was working on, so for that one at least this isn't an issue anymore.

However I'm still looking for a way to share prefabs. If I were to put together a prefab object then save the map (let's just assume the only thing placed in the map is the prefab) could I then just give my buddies the ROE file I just saved and have them open it up to find that prefab?

Upvote 0