• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How can I include an asset in a mutator?

Ducky

Super Moderator
May 22, 2011
Netherlands
I'm looking for a way on inserting .upk files into a .u file. This is what I have:

• Some .uc files
  • Some .upk files (sound cue's)
And after a build I want to have:

• 1 .u file that contains the compiled .uc's and all the .upk's as they are
In UE2 this could be done with a compiler directive in the .uc file. Something like:
#exec OBJ LOAD FILE="BlaBla\Whoopi.upk"

UE3 doesn't support this #exec directive anymore. Does anyone have a clue on how to do a thing like this in UE3?

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply.

Did try that already, but that still leaves me with more than one file. My goal is to have 1 file that contains the mutator and the assets. The reason is that a mutator that uses assets is not downloaded correctly to the clients over the redirect. If a client connects to the server, then the mutator (the .u file) is uploaded to the client, but the asset files aren't (the .upk files). Next the client will get auto kicked because of a missing asset file. If he now connects again, then all the asset files referenced by the mutator will be uploaded to the clients. From that point on all is good. But a don't want a two stage rocket. Most players will leave that server after a failed connect.

This is why I only want to have 1 file.

Upvote 0
For CTF, a map uses the code package, which in turn references the assets package. Of course it's not a mutator and cannot be directly compared, but maybe you could try to add a fake placeable actor to your mutator, and cook a fake map that uses it. Maybe the mutator will be cooked differently :/

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

Did try that already, but that still leaves me with more than one file. My goal is to have 1 file that contains the mutator and the assets. The reason is that a mutator that uses assets is not downloaded correctly to the clients over the redirect. If a client connects to the server, then the mutator (the .u file) is uploaded to the client, but the asset files aren't (the .upk files). Next the client will get auto kicked because of a missing asset file. If he now connects again, then all the asset files referenced by the mutator will be uploaded to the clients. From that point on all is good. But a don't want a two stage rocket. Most players will leave that server after a failed connect.

This is why I only want to have 1 file.

upk files traditionally do not transmit over the redirect, this was already the case in RO1. If you use multiple .u files all of them should actually download.

Upvote 0