• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server "Hosting made easy, they said, few clicks, they said"

...Seriously, Tripwire? You must've been out of your minds leaving listen-servers in the office. Utter **** of a process, long way past easy like wiki page says.

I decided to open a private server for myself, test WebAdmin things out. Until errors started appearing like flies on ****.

In to say first some 0x202 error came up, noticed it is about lack of free space on my Windows drive; sadly I can't format it right now due to lots reasons, have not done it for years, I seen space growing significantly due to software updates as of late, half of that reserved for my anti-virus.... Nooope, I don't install anything in my C:\ drive besides basic security layer tools (AV/firewall) and such requiring to be installed there. Anything else goes to a secondary drive.

Mm, fine. Moved the SteamCMD (in its own folder) over to my 3rd drive having almost 500 gigs of unused space, did the simple steps. All good, set up directory for server files to be downloaded. All set. When I browse to the server dir... empty. Nothing in there. Okay I know its asking for administrator privileges, run it again through the command prompt, nothing in the folder even though SteamCMD says its complete downloading.

What should I think? Half an hour gone into setting up the server workplace. Christ... To that, you decided to not allow us host listen-serves, lazy one excuse, gents, lazy one.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe I am doing anything wrong, provided SteamCMD appears to "have finished downloading, type quit to exit"; bothers me I can't download server files on a drive other than C:, regardless I can't afford too to have like 40gbs free for just server files when I have my C: partition split to 40gb only, 18 of that used by Windows, did not foresee I will need more at the time I did it like that.

I don't have a single TB hard drive yet nor I will reformat 2x 500GB HDDs full of data and rare STALKER/other games material I store on these.

Seen around Steam discussions server files require as much 18 gbs of free space, I mean considering its true, very convenient yeah. At a point I gave up already, thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
I swear if you're doing it properly you can use SteamCMD from where you want and install the game server where you want too. You just need to have a proper command. That being said you probably have another install somewhere else as you seem to have finished an install somewhere, have a look in SteamCMD folder maybe it created a sub folder here..

Upvote 0