• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

horus the egyptian god

illinifan

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
well i just saw religulous, that new movie with bill maher and directed by the director of borat.

to me the most interesting part of the movie(im athiest btw) is when maher talks about horus the egyptian god, and krishna the hindu god. both of them predate jesus by around 1000 years, but have a ton of similarites with jesus, especially horus. some persian god was also pretty similiar to jesus. by similiar i mean the whole virgin mom, resurection, december 25 stuff.

this got me to believe that the christians "stole"the story of jesus from these cultures, like how the jews "stole" the story of the 40 days flood thing from the mesopotamians. i guess a better word would be borrowed. just goes to show about what religion really is

oh ow, hopefully we don't have religious fanatics in here so we can speak freely.

i saw zeitgeist long time ago, it's totally insane, but somehow it's 1000 times more credible then the sh** they make us swallow everyday on tv, church, politics,...

My GF does study history and is a egyptian history fanatic, and she did point out that some of the facts used in that movie are not totally accurate. she can't read english, so i translated the whole movie for her lol, she didn't believe it all at first, but after seeing it she was forced to admit it is for the least confusing

Upvote 0
While I dont like at all the way Zeitgeist slams you continuously over the head with supposed 'facts' and conspiracy theories that are hard to verifiy elsewhere, and goes *totally* off the deep end, when it comes to the 9/11 and London bombings, its worth watching just for the spectacle and the insane theories, its well made.

However, theres no doubt the modern religions have always 'borrowed' from the earlier pagan myths. It's a continous process, so I wouldn't call it stealing, it's not like some guys 2000 or 10000 years ago sat down and said 'hey lets make a new religion, and steal this Jesus character from the Egyptians and the holy virgin from the Indians' and so on :)

It's more like humans have moved and made their civilizations elsewhere, and taken what they consider worthwhile from their old religion, discarding the rest that they don't need. You could say religion has 'evolved' :D

Upvote 0
sorry guys, but the zeitgeist movie is in many parts crap. in the first 10 minutes. the part about religion is full of false information.

MAKE SOME RESEARCH BY YOURSELF BEFORE YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING!

the things about horus in the movie is not so true. just read more real books and dont watch so much internet movies. or are internet movies your new religion????

Last edited:
Upvote 0
even if the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, just because something is written in a book doesn't mean it's true.
i have a dictionary that says with great confindence "there has never been any form of water on the moon". now we know that was a false belief. even though 20 years ago every dictionary would say the same.
so if there is 1 thing i am certain of, it is that nothing is ever certain. and especially when talking about religions

i think people in the future will look back on us and go "what a bunch of fu***g retards"

Upvote 0
exactly, and the egyptian son of god born from a virgin, who's birth was announced, who was followed by desciples and born and resurrected was called Horus
while the christian son of god born from a virgin, who's birth was announced, who was followed by desciples and born and resurrected was called jesus

thats like comparing apples with lemons :D

if i copy someone's book, and just change the names, a few numbers and dates. and bring out the book... you will see if the court thinks i plagiarised the book or not.
thats why since we invented copyright, that those who want to invent their own religion these days can't just copy from the others but have to make up their own wacky story only tom cruise you think would believe lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
However, theres no doubt the modern religions have always 'borrowed' from the earlier pagan myths. It's a continous process, so I wouldn't call it stealing, it's not like some guys 2000 or 10000 years ago sat down and said 'hey lets make a new religion, and steal this Jesus character from the Egyptians and the holy virgin from the Indians' and so on :)

It's more like humans have moved and made their civilizations elsewhere, and taken what they consider worthwhile from their old religion, discarding the rest that they don't need. You could say religion has 'evolved' :D

+1

This example of Horus+Jesus is but one instance of "cultural borrowing" which is an on-going fact of history and includes all cultural artifacts: languages, myths, religious practices, technology, political ideologies, economic practices. This is inevitable as migration communication and trade takes place across the world. The ruling ideas also often become such through conquest.

Upvote 0
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/HORUS.htm#SUMMARY
http://www.zeitgeistresponse.info/

Obviously biased, but the arguments are actually backed with facts and sources (more than can be said for Zeitgeist)...

The fact is a huge portion of Zeitgeist is pure speculation and very, very broad interpretation of "historical facts" though it's presented as if it were true. It's propaganda pure and simple.

I find hilariously ironic how everyone is so quick to jump on the bandwagon and say, "See, I knew Christianity was bull**** all along", relying on a viral video that has been systematically debunked by many, many scholars (and not just Christian apologists either!) with blind faith all while criticizing Christians for having faith in something that at least has some serious intellectual backing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
there is something about that "movie" on this page:

http://www.conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/

the author made the effort to check the told "facts" of the movies.

his conclusion:

"So, the conclusion is, the film is 100% a complete lie, complete farce, made up garbage."

and he gives the sources.

especialy part one and part 3 are full of nonsense. the whole gods part is invented by the author of the movie. except the names of the god.

Upvote 0
Just watched that, the first part about the banking system was quite boring, but the rest was very interesting and it really made me open my eyes. At least this time they explained how to change the world without bashing the "elite" all the time.

Actually the part about the banking system was the most interesting if you are an American. What he is talking about in the movie is directly related to the Collapse of our economy right now. This movie is years old too.

If you want to know how it effects countries other than The USA, look at the troubles Iceland is in right now... the whole Country is going bankrupt in part because the manipulation of The US Economy.

Upvote 0
well i just started zeitgeist, and the explanation for all of the similarities(december 25, virgin, 12 diciples, resurection etc) that reoccur in almots every culture is actually very interesting and makes almost perfect sense to me.

beside the fact that those similarities are nearly COMPLETLY INVENTED BY THIS FILM!

HORUS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JESUS.

his story is completely different. also the story of all the other gods mentioned in that crap film

Upvote 0