• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Homeworld.

The song is Agnus Dei by Samuel Barber, and is one of my favourite pieces of music ever. It was homeworld where I first encountered it, too :)

For some context; your civilization has discovered an ancient starship crashed in the great central desert of the world. On board is an FTL drive and a stone of unique chemical composition inscribed with a galactic map to a planet marked Hiigara - Our Home.

The video takes place after a test of the Hyperdrive module was interrupted by unidentified alien attack craft. Your big ship hyperdrives back to your current homeworld and discovers that it has been rendered unsuitable to sustain life. The only remnants of your people are the crew of the Mothership and six hundred thousand volunteers in cryogenic suspension in orbit around the planet.

If you haven't played the game yet, I do recommend picking it up; it can be found for 10$ as a re-released classic version. Well worth it, IMO :)

Upvote 0
The song is Agnus Dei by Samuel Barber, and is one of my favourite pieces of music ever. It was homeworld where I first encountered it, too :)

For some context; your civilization has discovered an ancient starship crashed in the great central desert of the world. On board is an FTL drive and a stone of unique chemical composition inscribed with a galactic map to a planet marked Hiigara - Our Home.

The video takes place after a test of the Hyperdrive module was interrupted by unidentified alien attack craft. Your big ship hyperdrives back to your current homeworld and discovers that it has been rendered unsuitable to sustain life. The only remnants of your people are the crew of the Mothership and six hundred thousand volunteers in cryogenic suspension in orbit around the planet.

I cant' watch the vid right now but I assume it's the one with Kharrak burning? People who haven't played the game: Basically the storyline mostly thus far has been pretty joyous, with your mothership being the pinnacle of civilization as you know it. On the first test, you get ambushed and go home to refit the ship and actually equip it with some weapons. You come home to find the rest of your race completely obliterated.

That really hit me in the gut, not only because of the genocide but because I felt like I was going to be totally outgunned, with the mothership being basically defenseless. And it really made me loathe the Taiidan. This ranks right up there with one of the best moments in classic gaming, along with finally meeting up with Dr. Polito in SS2.

The rest of the cutscenes/storyline in game is also very well done. But I never got past that stupid mission where you go up against that massive swarm of Ion Frigates surrounding a research station or something. I just got frustrated and basically said "screw this". That scenerio was just totally ridiculous and unrealistic, and as such made me lose all interest after the first couple go-arounds.

Upvote 0
Homeworld is filled with win. As is this particular cutscene. When it came on I went and got everyone from my house to show them all how awesome it was.
When the Starship comes online at the very start you get an awesome feeling of a race that actually has accomplished something. And after that mission, you get back, and everything is destroyed.

Upvote 0
CURSE YOU COMPUTER, WHY WONT HOMEWORLD WORK GOD DAMMIT?

Man, I want to swarm the Taiidan with my Salvage corvettes :p

But I never got past that stupid mission where you go up against that massive swarm of Ion Frigates surrounding a research station or something. I just got frustrated and basically said "screw this". That scenerio was just totally ridiculous and unrealistic, and as such made me lose all interest after the first couple go-arounds.

SALVAGE CORVETTES.

USE THEM IN NUMBERS!

Upvote 0