• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

hoes is MORE REALISTIC than ostfront

illinifan

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
ostfront was unrealistically difficult, and I will admit, that was a huge reason i liked the game. I play games for fun, and not realism. to me, ostfront was fun because of the unrealistic challenge it gave players (smgs are useless past 10 meters, bolts suck unless you have weapon rest, semi autos aren't that accurate past 50 or so meters, etc.). hoes is also extremely fun, and it just so happens that it is more realistic

smgs are designed to shoot up to 100 meters accurately, and that is exactly what they do in this game. bolts are supposed to be better than smgs only past 100 meters, as they are in this game(for the most part, unless you are a very skilled bolter). and semi autos are actually supposed to be just as accurate as bolts, and they are in this game. most of stalingrad was cqb like the maps are here for the most part

if you feel its too run and gun, twi is releasing mod tools, so you will have maps like berezina popping up within a year. on the other hand, for a game like bf3, if you dont like the maps all you do is wait a few months and shell out $15 for official maps every few months. for me, some of the best maps on ostfront were the custom ones-leningrad, kreigstadt, berezina and redgodofwar among others

performance wise, i cant speak for others, but the game is running just fine for me. I have had very few crashes and no bugs since the latest build. All i ask is for them to fix the map voting, show weapon class and fix the ping on the scoreboard, and let us sort the server browser by players, maps, and server name.

:IS2:

You're right about the SMGs. I found that after some experience, while kills slightly over 100m are POSSIBLY with the MP40 and PPSh, making the kill is vastly easier with a Rifle or LMG.

So basically if you open fire with an SMG on an opponent Rifleman who is in cover at those ranges it's suicide, and if he's in the open it's a real gamble. Any distance beyond those ranges (like, let's say 150-200m) and your ability to kill them with SMGs is based on their lack of reaction.

The game's guns work the way they do in Real Life. If you think SMGs are overpowered, well, you're not fighting at the right distances, because in real life they have the advantage at the ranges represented.

And the running and gunning? People only do that at under 10m ranges in the game, at which, it's NOT difficult to do that in real life, and if you're a Soldier you may well be presented with situations in which the most appropriate course of action is to fire from the hip instead of the sight position. You can't say that people in Assault actions don't charge the enemy at very short ranges and "spray." They do, but it depends on both the situation, the Soldier, and the range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes sure the weapons shoot accurately like their counterparts now.
This is great.
But actually i have sometimes more frustration than fun with HOS.
You see, thing like fighting hordes of 20 smg per team with your bolt action rifle...
When you just want to drop your LMG in a garbage bin and take a another weapon.
When people who run like rabbits with rifle shot in each legs...

It's a nice game indeed. Hope tripwire will correct things for the realise/future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with you about HoS being more realistic, but that is why I dont use the realism arguement. I love ROOST because it was unforgivingly difficult, and was so because of the more unrealistic aspects. The old mechanics made the game much more tense and emotional, anyone who has played a 90 minute non-stop battle in DH Berlin knows how exhausting that experience is. HoS is a much better game as far as the mechanics are concerned, but I have yet to get that same emotional repsonse that ROOST gave me. HoS feels more like other FPSs than RO. The fear and excitement of combat (for me anyways) feels more clinical and emotionless.

Reactions: Blubar and Tweek
Upvote 0
I agree with you about HoS being more realistic, but that is why I dont use the realism arguement. I love ROOST because it was unforgivingly difficult, and was so because of the more unrealistic aspects. The old mechanics made the game much more tense and emotional, anyone who has played a 90 minute non-stop battle in DH Berlin knows how exhausting that experience is. HoS is a much better game as far as the mechanics are concerned, but I have yet to get that same emotional repsonse that ROOST gave me. HoS feels more like other FPSs than RO. The fear and excitement of combat (for me anyways) feels more clinical and emotionless.

I somewhat agree with you about that. I miss the EPICness that many RO : OST maps had. You worded it right "clinical and emotionless". Sadly tho..its just like that.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. It is indeed more realistic.
Didn't really liked it in Ostfront to use the SMG's. It was... kind of frustrating.

But, just a sidenote (Please don't hate me now for saying something "good" about BF^^): Don't confuse CoD with Battlefield ;) BF never sold 15$ mappacks (at least not on PC). And, BC2:V actually was a good deal (12$ for a little addon with 5 new maps, new weapons, new vehicles, music etc...). And the SP maps & BC1 maps were also free ;)
But, thats a different topic :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You say that RO:OST gave you a better experience, and then you use DH (a mod of RO:OST) to prove your point? Wait for DH2.

Upvote 0
Said it before..RO1 was more inline with realism than RO2....shooting people is difficult....it's hard enough shooting a target on a range let alone a moving person, even if only slightly moving and in a combat situation.

You will be superised what was considered a seriously high rate of casualties in say a coy attack lasting a whole day...Barrikady factory...pioneer combat in some of the worse close combat fighting of the battle...if a coy lost 5 killed and 15 wounded in a whole day of fighting it was considered severe....

So RO1 wasn't unrealistically difficult at all...infact it was to easy to kill and wound.

Smg's now are to accurate, way to accurate...their being used like modern assault rifles...erm no...house clearing and trench clearing superb, 140 metre kills, I dont think so....OK we know what the real life range where of these weapons...but that doesn't equate to there range in a combat situation.

Finally we have fear of death....in a real war you wouldn't run around gung ho....alot of blind firing would be going on etc etc....maybe to simulate this we need something in game, how about TW make a new mouse...every time your shot the mouse tazers you...sounds good eh!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of people are getting frustrated with Heroes because their traditional ROOST tactics, CoD tactics, etc. aren't working. They're counting on bullet spread and weapon sway to keep them safe, when in reality they would be dead before they even popped out of cover.

It's your tactics that are wrong, not the game. Do a little homework on real life infantry tactics and try applying them in game.

Even with a few changes to my metagame, I've managed to greatly increase my K:D ratio. It works!

Upvote 0
A lot of people are getting frustrated with Heroes because their traditional ROOST tactics, CoD tactics, etc. aren't working. They're counting on bullet spread and weapon sway to keep them safe, when in reality they would be dead before they even popped out of cover.

I don't think that's what it is.

I think it's the fact that the gameplay makes ROOSTtactics, CoD tactics, etc impossible.

Upvote 0