• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HoE solo review by Agent_Vealckowsky

vealck

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
Ok, so I finally decided to give a solo Hell on Earth a try. Here's my thoughts about the new difficulty setting and balance changes in general.

Firstly, transition from old suicidal was barely noticeable in gameplay. My old strategy was just fine. Start as a demo to get GL and pipes, on wave 2 switch to berserker to buy a katana, then stick to medic for the rest of the game. Medic gun for crawlers and sometimes sirens in close quarters, later to be replaced by SCAR (after wave 5).

I thought that katana nerf will be something hard to deal with - but no. Gorefasts still appear quite stunned when you chop off their heads, and you can still one-hit kill anything else from the trash tier (at least if you have a good 90%+ headshots ratio). In the early stages, the only noticeable difference is Husk close combat - as the power strike won't break his attacks anymore. Sure, I miss chopping helpless Scrakes, but that's nothing that a SCAR mag to the face won't fix.

The most noticeable change is the money. They are tight at all times, so I had to forget filling up my ammo. Luckily, I rarely use more than 12 grenades and 5 SCAR mags per wave. Which brings me to another matter:

Fleshpounds. My patented strategy is to lay a pipe bomb 4-5 meters in front of it, and quickly backpedal and enrage him when he's directly standing on it (giving the pipe needed time to arm) with SCAR mag to the chest. Given the current pipebomb price for non-demos, this proves to be quite expensive tactic, as you will have to deal with 5 FP's during a long solo game. I almost thought that I'll lose the game when I accidentally wasted one pipe on some bloat, but in the end, I managed to get the needed amount of dosh every wave.

The unbreakable clot grab is quite brutal on the other hand - one mistake at swinging katana and you're grabbed, and presumably, 50% of your armor is gone before you'll break out from the fray.

On a side note, this may be a coincidence, but I noticed more Husks spawn throughout the game.

The Patriarch was a pure formality. I went demo, laid one pile of 10 pipes (a good side of limited funds :) ), then put three rockets in his arse when he was running away. Flawless victory, not even a scratch taken.

So, for the tl;dr's: I expected it to be more brutal, but in truth, solo HoE is not very different from the old, good suicidal.

I notice how you carefully skipped naming the map you kited around for 2 hours while you very slowly killed everything?

Total time was 38:46, which includes 10 minutes of trader time, as you surely know. That gives mean of about 2 and a half minutes per wave. And my testing ground was quite obviously, westlondon.

The keyword is solo. Try it with 6 players and report back.

Already did. But with 5 random people you can hardly differentiate what's the main difficulty factor - new difficulty setting, sharpshooter nerf, or skills of the team. Now, after doing solo, I'd say that the SS nerf is.

Upvote 0
Oh my. Everyone assumes that my topic is all about me bragging about my skills. Believe it or not, that was not the intent.

I didn't participate in beta testings. I tested HoE on solo so I can get to know what's so special about new difficulty setting. It turns out that it's almost nothing. There are huge gaps between other settings - beginner to normal, normal to hard and hard to suicidal (and frankly, the last one is too great for lots of players to cross). There is hardly any difference between suicidal and hell on earth.

Which brings me to my conclusion: current matches feel more difficult only because sharpshooter/xbow balance adjustments (and I'm thankful for that).

Tell me, would you even notice the game is harder on HoE, if sharpies would still have the ability to slaughter all biggies from half a map away? I'd say no.

HoE is not a new difficulty mode. It's basically suicidal with "let's nerf SS headshots even more!" mode.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
Oh my. Everyone assumes that my topic is all about me bragging about my skills. Believe it or not, that was not the intent.

I didn't participate in beta testings. I tested HoE on solo so I can get to know what's so special about new difficulty setting. It turns out that it's almost nothing. There are huge gaps between other settings - beginner to normal, normal to hard and hard to suicidal (and frankly, the last one is too great for lots of players to cross). There is hardly any difference between suicidal and hell on earth.

Which brings me to my conclusion: current matches feel more difficult only because sharpshooter/xbow balance adjustments (and I'm thankful for that).

Tell me, would you even notice the game is harder on HoE, if sharpies would still have the ability to slaughter all biggies from half a map away? I'd say no.

HoE is not a new difficulty mode. It's basically suicidal with "let's nerf SS headshots even more!" mode.
True, HoE is the old suicidal with alot of fuss around it.

Meanwhile, people are massively using exploits on HoE with the new theme-map. Is that skill? No. HoE is a joke, as is the update imho because of the bad playtesting.

Upvote 0