• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics [HOE] - Evacuation Point

infntnub

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
My group of friends and I have been consistently wiping around wave 7/8 on Evac.

We tend to favor holding up in the back end of the boat (in front of the opening you can drop down from).

Other than zerk walling the crap out of it, any general mix of perks and/or alternative suggested hold out spots? The boat seems to be the best bet as far as we can tell.

Usually we run a mix that includes multiple supports, 1 medic, and at least 1 demo and firebug.

Any suggestions beyond "git gud" are appreciated. :)

Last edited:
I think that trying to hold is your problem. From what I've found, that is definitely the spot to start, and the spot to try to get back to, but it is difficult to hold for an extended period of time. Instead what we do is we hold it until it is becoming unsafe, then we jump out of the back of the boat onto the bus. We run from there to the spawn point (let's call this run Stretch 1), along the big open area and go up the stairs to the right of the overturned car (Stretch 2). Then we go straight from there into that tunnel that loops around in the shape of a U(Stretch 3), and in the tunnel we'll call Stretch 4. From there you run back to the hold (Stretch 5) and hold until it gets unsafe again. The good thing about this kite is that you have somewhere to hold for a short while to clear a large amount of zeds, unlike some other kite paths on other maps where it will take longer because you don't get a rest. If you need some screenshots, let me know.

It doesn't matter too much along Stretch 1 if you get split up a bit, as long as you don't get blocked when trying to get to the spawn point. From there, along Stretch 2, again getting split up doesn't matter too much as the spawn points for the zeds are at a distance. However, when going up those stairs and into the tunnel (Stretch 3), you want to all be very quick and close together, because zeds can easily get between you on the left at the beginning of the tunnel. Through the tunnel (Stretch 4) you'll want at least one person, probably the leading zerk/firebug to sprint to the end as fast as possible to stumble/panic any big zeds that might be trying to block you off. From there, getting back to the hold is often not too troublesome, as you can usually run around any blockages due to there being two lanes. However, zeds can become a very big problem if you're slow along Stretch 5 as there a multiple entry points along the sides and in front. Stretch 2 is a place where the zerk can engage a raged big zed for a short time to give the others a bit of breathing room, and maybe the others can help to finish it off. As long as you don't take too long with it, otherwise Stretch 3 & 4 will become blocked. That's the general rundown of the path with problem points noted. Now for the team composition.

If you can field a full 6 players for your team, then you'd probably want a zerk, firebug, medic, commando, demo, and then maybe a support or sharpshooter. It really depends how much you're struggling along the kite path. If you're struggling a lot, a sharpshooter won't be overly useful. A support is alright at everything and has the advantage of being able to function as a backup medic (with more than just a med pistol). The zerk and firebug would be there to clear a path in front and make sure to prevent big zeds from hitting your teammates. The commando can clear trash (particularly crawlers and stalkers), can carry a med pistol unless it's a strange loadout, and is really great for extending zed times, where medics can sedate, zerks can clear a huge amount of trash, and demo can nuke. A support with supplier would also be handy for the firebug, as they get a full magazine back for the mwg. The demo would be the primary big zed killer, and could also clear clumps of zeds with an m79. I noticed that I haven't included gunslinger at all, and I guess that that's because there are several points along this kite path where a gunslinger would be pretty useless, and the other points could be better handled with a demo or sharpshooter.

I don't think running multiple supports is overly beneficial. They can't quickly kill big zeds unless very skilled, and only if there isn't trash crowding around. They're also not great at clearing trash in some circumstances, such as a carpet of crawlers around the feet. They also can't pick off medium zeds at a distance without off-perk weapons, where you might be better off going as that perk instead. I'm not saying support is bad, not at all, but I don't think having more than one is usually required or a good idea. Also, I would've thought that the entry points to that spot are a bit too open for supports.

I'm not sure if you're happy to kite or not. I know there's plenty of people who don't like it, but it is really fun on this map.

Reactions: Tagasaki
Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

We really were convinced we should be able to hold that boat for the entire map, lol.

The group I play with isn't opposed to kiting, at all. Based on your suggestions though it seems like we were going about beating the map the completely opposite way from what you mapped out.

I'll discuss with them and go from there. :)

Upvote 0
wow.. amazing.. very nice..
o.png

Upvote 0
infntnub;n2263697 said:
Usually we run a mix that includes multiple supports, 1 medic, and at least 1 demo and firebug.

Your team setup is all about messy area of effect weapons and AA12 spam.

Try instead slinger/sharps + mando. Clean takedowns without burning/dancing zeds and constant explosions.

I like holding around the trader near the spawn. From the upstairs side are no zeds coming. For the downstairs side is one or two players usually enough. The rest can stay near the trader and face the direction opposite of the upstairs side. There is enough space to seperate SC/FP from trash for non messy takedowns.

Upvote 0
I've never tried holding that spot. I'll make sure to try it out some time. I'm surprised that no zeds come from the upstairs area... Do you have to maintain a certain distance from that area for them not to come from there?

The main issue I would have with that spot is that although the stairs from the spawn area is a great zed funnel, stairs can make it very difficult for precision classes to take out the big zeds effectively. I'm guessing you'd try to take them out before they reach the stairs, or do they not really come from that side? What sort of perks do you usually run there? And what perks do you run for the other end? Finally, is the hold viable with less than 6 players?

So you don't like having demos for killing big zeds? I find demo much more effective at taking out scrakes than fleshpounds, even though they're meant to be fleshpound killers. So I can see why you might not like a demo for fleshpounds all the time, but if you have a team that consists of some DPS perks that go for body damage (particularly zerks with pulv that like to tackle fleshpounds), then having a demo that can help with that is very useful. And they can almost one-shot scrakes, so even a tiny bit of help from a commando or gunslinger makes them trivial.

Another spot that I've tried holding a number of times is the upstairs (up-escalators) area in the building to the left of the spawn point. It generally goes pretty badly because people don't kite early enough when we get overrun. It would be a reasonable spot for a temporary hold, just like the boat, in my opinion.

We haven't needed microphones to do the kite effectively; quite often only one or two (if any) of us would have a microphone. I guess I find that there's not much that needs to be said if the team is well-coordinated and knows the troublesome parts of the kite path. It's good to hear that you're trying it out. Let me know if there are any stretches that you feel are troublesome in particular and I'll see if there's something my teams usually do differently along the stretch and leading up to it.

Upvote 0
I don't know exactly at what position backspawn from the upstairs side get triggered but it must be somewhere so far in the back that it is no issue, even when the team gets pushed back into the stairs.

I dislike doorzerking so when I'm holding the downstairs side I stay with the stairs behind me. Zeds will mostly approach out of that breached building on the other side of the street. In other words, the holding spot is the initial spawn, just before the stairs that lead to the trader.

I'm not a fan of the demo in KF2 so far, because of its tendency to make a mess. Usually demos stay somewhere in the back of the team formation and they need distance and time to deal enough damage to FP. So they tend to use other players as meatshields. When a demo wants to take a SC/FP I'm fine with that but then he should stand in front of the SC/FP himself and not rage it on others.

Upvote 0
I agree that a lot of demos are not very considerate of their teammates when tackling big zeds. Personally I like to get up close to scrakes so I can quickly and cleanly decap them, but I do like to keep my distance from fleshpounds. I would only rage it if it was about to hit someone anyway or if a zerk has the aggro and is prepared for it, or if I know that the fleshpound is on low health. Now that demos can make big zeds fly, you can get 2 RPGs in before the fleshpound can close the distance, so you can take it out soon after it derages. It really depends on the situation, team and hold though; sometimes I'll leave fleshpounds alone because I know it would only make things worse.

I was really hoping that the spot could be done without doorzerking. It sounds like quite an interesting hold, so I'll definitely give it a go when I get the chance. It might even work really well for a secondary hold, where you start up in the boat, then jump down and hold down there, and then try to return to the boat along the kite path if you get overrun. I think that would be quite interesting.

Upvote 0