• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server HLDS Update Tool Shortcut Info

This will probably be asked a lot, so for linux:

Download the linux version of hlupdatetool and place it into the directory you want to install the server to. Then do:

chmod +x hldsupdatetool.bin

./hldsupdatetool.bin

If you get an "uncompress not found" error do:

su
<type in root password>

then do:

cd /bin; ln -s gunzip uncompress

now exit the root shell and again do:

./hldsupdatetool.bin

After you accept the license agreement do:

./steam -command update -game redorchestra -dir .

If should update the steam binary; when it's done run the above command again.

Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy :)

Upvote 0
y2kill said:
. . . .

./steam -command update -game redorchestra -dir .

If should update the steam binary; when it's done run the above command again.

Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy :)

This is actually the full command line if you used the instructions from the draft manual. If you don't specify the right subdirectory after -dir or put the period at the end of the line, you will install a second server on the box. That can be a problem if you use a script to start your server, because you will just run the old version rather than the patched-up version.

./steam -command update -game redorchestra -dir ~/hlds/ROOST

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The way I do it with rdp to my WinServer2003 server:

Download the hlds update tool.

Open notepad.

Add lines similar to the following:
Code:
cd C:\program files\valve\hlserver

hldsupdatetool -command update -game "redorchestra" -dir "c:\program files\ROOST"

pause

Change the first line so that the batch file changes to the directory where you installed the hldsupdatetool.

Change the text within the quotations after -dir to point to the parent location of your Red Orchestra files.

Save the file as (for example) ROupdate. bat to your desktop. (Be sure that notepad does not save it as ROupdate.bat.txt)

Close notepad.

Double click the icon and it should update the server files.

Be warned, just like the client patch, it takes a while.

Floyd

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am confused on what the second line in this should look like:

cd C:\program files\valve\hlserver

hldsupdatetool -command update -game "redorchestra" -dir "c:\program files\ROOST"

pause

- what goes into the first quotations instead of "redorchestra" ?
- my RO is located in c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra, but when the .bat loaded it up, it said it didn't recognize it.

I am very confused with this text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just redorchestra should work.

All one word, no quotes. I know it works because i just started up a dos prompt and am updating my server right now.

A side question from me, when updating/installing the ROOST server, does it automatically go straight to your base directory (like C:\ or F:\, no Program Files, etc)? For some reason I told it to install in the Valve folder, but it went to the base folder automatically instead. It's okay since i can just move the files around anyway, just wanted to know.

Upvote 0