• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit Detection Still Off

Stahlhelmii

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
I've played (without messing with ANY settings since the new patch) one game (Pavlov's House) in the new version.

At the first opportunity of catching an enemy asleep at 5 feet away, I raised my semi-auto rifle, aimed right at the center of his chest, and pumped 4 rounds into him. Not a single one of them registered. He finally woke up and MP40'd me.

This has happened to me repeatedly in all versions of the beta, and it only seems to happen with rifles. PLEASE fix this. It is frustrating to the point that I don't want to play unless I feel like camping in windows easily picking off enemies from 120m.

This wrote The Monk,

While I have experienced what is being described in this thread I do not believe the problem to be hit-detection OR network latency.

After reading the following thread: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...light=tickrate[/URL]

I can see the argument that sometimes it might be "cover" getting in the way somehow, but mostly I now mostly believe the problem has to do with the default server's MAXIMUM tickrate setting (server ROEngine.INI), the player's configured internet speed setting (player ROEngine.INI) and total player-count on the servers.

For instance.

We have tested the following on our server:

sf. Shoot First [Tactical] - TE & CD

SERVER HARDWARE:
Core 2 E8500 3.16Ghz, 8GB RAM, 3MBps upload bandwidth

SERVER CONFIG:
- Changed the default MAXIMUM (20) tickrated on the server to (40). Warning! This DOUBLES the CPU usage on the server.

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
MaxInternetClientRate=20000 (Default = 10000)
NetServerMaxTickRate=40 (Default = 20)

- Changed the player count from 32 to 24 players just to be safe for testing.

CLIENT CONFIG:
- Changed our client "configured internet speed" settings in the local player ROEngine.INI's

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000 (Default = 10000)

After almost a week of testing we believe that making these changes has made a significant difference in what can be described as "bullet travel time", "hit markings/effects" and in general what has been described in this thread as "hit detection loss".

Feel free to join our server anytime to test this theory for yourselves. Also, while those of us members located in the same province in the server noticed no change until the server filled up some the members located in California (with a usual 110 ping to the server) noticed an immediate improvement.

Like? |
post_old.gif
Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Nebelkind
user_offline.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif

I'm inclined towards the Ping theory, which explains why none of the TWI guys can reproduce it.

I have repeatedly shot someone who was prone or crouched and holding still, <100m away, and had a VERY noticeable delay between "Bang" and "Wet meat smacking sound". Like up to 1/3-1/2 second, which is of course an absurd time to target for any round @ that range, let alone a smokeless ~.30 rifle bullet.

That being said, why the hell are nearly all of the populated servers so damn laggy?

Upvote 0
I just posted a thread explaining why I think this is, but I'll also suggest it here:

I've noticed if you set iron sight range on rifles to 200 meters, those close range shots WILL be detected. 100m never works for me, but 200m seems to be stable. You can change your range by looking down the iron-sights and scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Give it a try. I would appreciate it if you let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
I just posted a thread explaining why I think this is, but I'll also suggest it here:

I've noticed if you set iron sight range on rifles to 200 meters, those close range shots WILL be detected. 100m never works for me, but 200m seems to be stable. You can change your range by looking down the iron-sights and scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Give it a try. I would appreciate it if you let me know if it works.

Even if it worked, then your 30-80m shots would miss. That's really not much of a solution.

Upvote 0
Here we are, six months after DDE beta release, and this problem STILL isn't fixed. I think half a year is MORE than "reasonable" to expect to reliably hit a stationary target from a few feet away. I haven't played in months and honestly feel a bit ripped off by this, because in my mind it's really the only real game killing bug, but it just ain't no fun getting repeatedly killed by players you've killed 3 times over from a few feet away.

Some time before 2013, maybe?

Upvote 0
Here we are, six months after DDE beta release, and this problem STILL isn't fixed. I think half a year is MORE than "reasonable" to expect to reliably hit a stationary target from a few feet away. I haven't played in months and honestly feel a bit ripped off by this, because in my mind it's really the only real game killing bug, but it just ain't no fun getting repeatedly killed by players you've killed 3 times over from a few feet away.

Some time before 2013, maybe?
I'm really disappointed in this game too.

It's almost march now, Ro2 came out in september and the game still doesn't have a correct hit registration. It seems to me the developers care about other stuff more than they care about something fundamental in any FPS.

Such a shame, it seems the only thing left to do is quit playing this game like everyone seems to be doing. Such a shame, this game had such potential :(

Upvote 0
I'm really disappointed in this game too.

It's almost march now, Ro2 came out in september and the game still doesn't have a correct hit registration. It seems to me the developers care about other stuff more than they care about something fundamental in any FPS.

Such a shame, it seems the only thing left to do is quit playing this game like everyone seems to be doing. Such a shame, this game had such potential :(
why don't you go play the beta and help with the stuff they are working on, instead of pulling an old thread, to complain the the new patch isn't out yet? the more people test the patch on the beta, the faster it gets into the game.

Upvote 0
why don't you go play the beta and help with the stuff they are working on, instead of pulling an old thread, to complain the the new patch isn't out yet? the more people test the patch on the beta, the faster it gets into the game.
This thread is so old because this problem has been around for so long now it's almost unbelievable. I have made my own thread months ago, of course they are old :confused:

Do you act like a smartass against everyone who complains about this game ? Like for example in the 'RO is dead' thread ?

If I would know how to join the beta and help this be a better game I would.

It seems to me everyone can complain about this game, but if I do it... you always make a problem out of it.

Yeah bumping an old thread about a problem that has been in the game since day 1 isn't tolerated, but creating a thread about your 20.000 kill is a-okay *sigh*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Go To Steam>Library> Games> All and click on install: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Beta.

Go here :[URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122[/URL][/URL][/URL]

To get information about what is happening in the Beta and to provide feedback. The more people participating, the quicker we can get changes and fixes implemented.:)

Upvote 0
Go To Steam>Library> Games> All and click on install: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad Beta.

Go here :[URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122[/URL][/URL][/URL]

To get information about what is happening in the Beta and to provide feedback. The more people participating, the quicker we can get changes and fixes implemented.:)
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Upvote 0
This thread is so old because this problem has been around for so long now it's almost unbelievable. I have made my own thread months ago, of course they are old :confused:

Do you act like a smartass against everyone who complains about this game ? Like for example in the 'RO is dead' thread ?

It seems to me everyone can complain about this game, but if I do it... you always make a problem out of it.

Yeah bumping an old thread about a problem that has been in the game since day 1 isn't tolerated, but creating a thread about your 20.000 kill is a-okay *sigh*
that's not what i meant by my post. mike's comment didn't help any though.
i suggested you go on the beta and help get the game fixed. if you really do not know how to do that, it's easier than you think. simply download it and jump on a server. then go to the beta test forum and let them know how it's working. if you still have hit detection problems in the beta. tell them. i'm not noticing any hit detection problems in the beta. do they have the mutator on? i do not know. i do know, that the more people that get in the beta and test it, the faster we get the game fixed. right now there's hardly anyone testing, but there's still a lot of people with problems. what makes more sense to you? bringing back a post that's been ignored? or jumping in the beta and helping out?
i didn't mean to offend you with my post. i'm sorry.:(

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, I have tried the beta and the new map and it seems 'easier' to hit other players even when I'm on the EU server from here in the USA. I don't know if its the map or optimizations, but I even began to wonder if the antilag mutator was running on the server.

I will also mention though, that I don't have those horrible lag/hit detection problems that some players experience. I just chimed in because of the above.

Upvote 0
i suggested you go on the beta and help get the game fixed. if you really do not know how to do that, it's easier than you think. simply download it and jump on a server. then go to the beta test forum and let them know how it's working. if you still have hit detection problems in the beta. tell them. i'm not noticing any hit detection problems in the beta. do they have the mutator on? i do not know. i do know, that the more people that get in the beta and test it, the faster we get the game fixed. right now there's hardly anyone testing, but there's still a lot of people with problems. what makes more sense to you? bringing back a post that's been ignored? or jumping in the beta and helping out?

No need for an apology :)

It's great to hear that in the beta there are less hit detection problems. And you are right: testing the beta is a quicker way of getting to a solution than complaining.

Now that I know where I can find the beta (in my steam list lol) I'll definitely try it out.

Upvote 0

All that was alluded to was the "in general" griping. Also, there is a section devoted to the new beta now.... ;)

Helping in the beta is a far better thing!!

Cheers! :D

Upvote 0
i knew we were both on the same page about him being better off in the beta to speed things along. it's just the way we worded it, made him think we were jumping on him for filing a complaint.
i wish more people were aware how easy the beta is to get into and how badly we need them in it, to speed things along.:(

... and sometimes its just having more people in the servers because lets face it, some or most aren't going to bother reporting everything they find that needs fixing. At least the extra players can help stress the performance.

Upvote 0
i knew we were both on the same page about him being better off in the beta to speed things along. it's just the way we worded it, made him think we were jumping on him for filing a complaint.
i wish more people were aware how easy the beta is to get into and how badly we need them in it, to speed things along.:(

LOL, I actually preordered and PAID to be a DDE "beta" tester on DDE beta release back in, what, AUGUST??? It's just beyond belief that this game killing problem still exists, and only goes to PROVE what many of us were surmising back in the fall -- that this game was released a full year too early. I really had to rub my eyes and blink a few times after reading the latest PCG and finding RO2 had won Multiplayer FPS of the Year for 2012, considering you can't even reliably hit a stationary target with a perfectly centered chest shot from 10 feet away.

The point being, I already paid THEM to be a tester. Fair is fair; they want me to test again, this time they pay ME. If I still give a rat's patooty if and when this is finally, verifiably and undoubtedly FIXED, I'll go back to it then.

Upvote 0