• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection and bullet lag

cjvanderwal

Aug 27, 2011
Let me start off by saying I really like this game, it shines in many places and is overall very solid. However, after playing 6-7 hours over the last two days I can confidently say that both the bullet lag and hit detection are terrible.

I know I'm not shooting lasers, but I am also not shooting a water gun. I shouldn't have to aim a foot in front of my enemy when he is right next to me in a 50 m/s lobby. Hitting a side-moving target with a kar98 in the distance is beyond impossible. I tested it out by shooting a wall in front of me when I spawn, takes about 1/3 to 1/2 of a second to get there, bullet lag, but no server lag

Hit detection. Sometimes I can't even hit a guy standing still, when I'm proned and looking straight at him. I understand this is a known bug, but still noteworthy.

I don't know if any of you have had similar experiences, but the people I've played with on multiple servers have, and it's really hurting the game. This has been one of my longest forums posts related to anything in probably 2 years. Go me!

I have the exact same thing. Like a Russian is standing right in front of me, 10 meters away, aiming at me and I'm aiming at him. I fire - bullet doesn't hit, then he kills me. I saw no blood, no impact - nothing, even though I was aiming at his chest in the right lung. Yet he managed to stay healthy.

This has happened a lot of times for me. Also, it feels like the bullet is too slow. It's nearly impossible to hit anyone running to side, even in short range with a kar98. Hell, I can't even kill a Russian with an MG34 at 2 meters by aiming directly at him. It seems like the bullet is lagging behind and hits the wall behind him.

This makes me rage and quit the game.

Please, TWI, do something. :(

P.S. This thread is probably in the wrong section, but I didn't want to make a new one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don;t have problems over long ranges. Missing moving targets is mostly a result of my bad aim.

There does seem to be a definite problem with very short range hit detection. Often I go around a corner and run into someone, I fire my bolt action at close (almost 0) range, and it goes straight through them. And I;m absolutely sure there was NO way I could have missed. In any case not the dozens of times this happened to me.

Upvote 0
shooting a moving target is nearly impossible.
but in my opinion thats not bad. on fallenfighters you wouldnt even be able to reach the middle without getting shot

That's because there are a lot of campers just waiting for you to run like a madman.

Shooting at 0 range and not hitting someone is total absurd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are getting lag when you shoot, odds are you have security software that is throttling your packets from getting to the server.

As to hit detection problems, we have had a few reports of it, but nobody has been able to get us a 100% reproduction that we can recreate here at the office. We NEED that reproduction.

Upvote 0
The only problem I have hitting horizontally moving targets at long range is being able to dial the shot in before they find cover :V

Check your ping and your Anti-Virus. I'm using MSE with the entirety of the Steam folder excluded from real-time checking as an example.

Upvote 0
If you are getting lag when you shoot, odds are you have security software that is throttling your packets from getting to the server.

As to hit detection problems, we have had a few reports of it, but nobody has been able to get us a 100% reproduction that we can recreate here at the office. We NEED that reproduction.

Try this. I found an apparent HIT DETECTION anomaly when I was shooting a German from above.

Map. Danzig/Apartment.

My weapon, PPSH.

A side cap, he was stalking below the stairs, on the foothill of the building. I was right above him, I was hailing lead, with controlled burst, at this perp.

Bullets seems to have gone through him, as he was crouch-walking backwards. He didn't die. I was all troubled.

Upvote 0

there's just one thing to do, enter an empty server with a frind on ts and make lots of tests.......I'll do!!!

Upvote 0
a lot of bad hit detection also lies on the quality of the server you are on. Remember that.

Indeed, one 64-player server I could empty half a mag in the back of an enemy (standing still) and either he didnt die or fell a few seconds later. My computer is good, PING is low...

But on other 32 or 64-player servers everything works fine.

I suspect some admins just crank up the playerlimit without thinking about it.

Reactions: jay35
Upvote 0
Was on a server this evening where my ping registered as 120 in game.

Had the 'spawn firing uncontrollably' bug several times, but I also found that often when I pressed the left mouse button it was rather unresponsive. Haven't had that noticably on any other servers, and this server seemed lag-free in terms of player-movement. Hit reg was a little flaky on it, whereas I usually find it okay on 120 ping servers.

Upvote 0