• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection and bullet lag

If you are getting lag when you shoot, odds are you have security software that is throttling your packets from getting to the server.

As to hit detection problems, we have had a few reports of it, but nobody has been able to get us a 100% reproduction that we can recreate here at the office. We NEED that reproduction.

i will get that for you.

Upvote 0
If you are getting lag when you shoot, odds are you have security software that is throttling your packets from getting to the server.

As to hit detection problems, we have had a few reports of it, but nobody has been able to get us a 100% reproduction that we can recreate here at the office. We NEED that reproduction.

I took your advice and made RO2 a "trusted" program in Norton. It actually does help quite significantly. The lead seems a lot more realistic than before. As to the hit detection problems, they are still occasional, but are completely random (at least for me), so I wish you the best of luck.

For anyone else who was having bullet lag problems as I was, I suggest opening ports/"trusting" RO2 in your security software, whatever you have. Personally, with Norton Internet Security all you do lower it's threat to "trusted". Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
All the hit detection stuff has probably been all my "aiming skills" except for 2 occurences.

1.)

I was on apartments with a sniper near the bridge. I was aiming at a filthy russian dialled to 100m. I tried firing several times but all shots missed. We was both standing still about 30m away. I tried aiming below, above, at the head and the centre of mass. I am 100% there was no way that could have missed. This wasnt down to lag as we wasnt moving and I didnt "miss" i took several shots and none hit.

2.) I was on fallen fathers as a :IS2: commander and was gunning. But I noticed when I fred the shot wasnt appearing. After a while I realised that the shot was hitting the very left of my 4:3 ratio screen, just where the black bit is.

Hope you can fix this sometime tripwire its a great game your making :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find there is more bullet lag on FallenHeroes map than in Apartments.
Even if the server's ping is 50 or less, it seems to get worse or better, depending on the map.

its really frustrating.

1 minuite you can shoot someone as soon as u press the mouse button like you would expect, then the next minuite your have to wait almost a full second in worst cases for bullets to land.

I always test out the lag by shooting a wall in spawn.

It doesnt make any sense.
The server pings that i usually play on are generally below 70, which is good,
however this is the only game where bullet lag is so aparent

Upvote 0
Had a problem a few minutes ago. In apartments I shot a german who was looking to the other side of the building, I was in the same room and I emptied half magazine. He just turned around and killed me. I was pretty confused :confused:

Minutes later, in Fallen Fighters I found a german proned, hiding near our spawn zone. Walked carefully and when I was at about 2 meters, I aimed at his head and shot. Nothing happened, had to aim at his torso before he noticed
These are similar to my experience at times. Up close, using SMG, blast the hell out of an enemy coming at you at an angle, none of your shots are detected as hits. Second burst generally gets them, though. I wonder if it's server dependent. Also, if there are specific ports to check are forwarded, someone please list them. Lots of talk about ports, no port numbers listed. Then again, with a router generally if you can connect and play the game, the necessary ports are forwarding to your machine just fine. I do have RO2.exe added to the Win7 firewall as Allowed, for whatever that's worth.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are noticing "bullet" lag between when you shoot and when you hit, the most likely culprit is security software delaying and sniffing the packets for the game.

If you can find us a case where hit detection is broken with reproduction steps, it will jump to the top of our fix list. At the moment we are only aware of two cases and hope to have them fixed soon.

Upvote 0
If you are noticing "bullet" lag between when you shoot and when you hit, the most likely culprit is security software delaying and sniffing the packets for the game.

If you can find us a case where hit detection is broken with reproduction steps, it will jump to the top of our fix list. At the moment we are only aware of two cases and hope to have them fixed soon.

True, hit detection is most likely the issue, and perhaps it feels like latency to some folks in some cases. But what is experienced could well be server-related (factors like the number of players loading a server - too many for the hardware or server's connection bandwidth, user ping, etc) more than anything else.

Given most of us play other FPS games and do not have the same issues, it does not seem very likely that there's a software packet issue in play on the user's end, certainly not for the majority of us, unless it exists in RO2's netcode or lag compensation code. Particularly when we've set up port forwarding and firewalls to allow this game through just like everything else we play.

Does your test environment setup allow for adding artificial latency or can you test by playing on public beta servers with at least 50-75ms of latency and 32+ players?

edit: Nenjin's post below describes the experience well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I can say is you guys need to investigate hit detection at close ranges. Like, less than 10 feet. I primarily use the SVT-40 and in close combat, I'll easily get 2 to 3 shots off squarely in someone's chest before they fire, and yet I'm the one dead and they run off without even needing to bandage.

At that range, no amount of sway or muzzle lifting is going to make me miss that shot. The fact that 80% of wounds in RO2 are fatal without bandaging, and these guys walk off without a scratch, makes me think there's something up. I've had SMGs at close range spray me with bullets too and I expect to die...but in turns out I'm just really suppressed. (God I'm so suppressed...) I've watched SMGs in spectator mode square off in small rooms and literally empty their clips trying to hit each other, to the point where they end it with melee instead of their pistols. At 5 to 10 feet, neither of them should be missing. It was kind of absurd to watch actually.

If you want to reproduce put two guys in opposite rooms with a doorway between them, and have them step out into the doorway to start shooting at each other. It's at those engagement ranges that things feel off.

Last edited:
Reactions: jay35
Upvote 0
I agree

I agree

I have the exact same thing. Like a Russian is standing right in front of me, 10 meters away, aiming at me and I'm aiming at him. I fire - bullet doesn't hit, then he kills me. I saw no blood, no impact - nothing, even though I was aiming at his chest in the right lung. Yet he managed to stay healthy.

This has happened a lot of times for me. Also, it feels like the bullet is too slow. It's nearly impossible to hit anyone running to side, even in short range with a kar98. Hell, I can't even kill a Russian with an MG34 at 2 meters by aiming directly at him. It seems like the bullet is lagging behind and hits the wall behind him.

This makes me rage and quit the game.

Please, TWI, do something. :(

P.S. This thread is probably in the wrong section, but I didn't want to make a new one.

to be candid, I prefer RO!

Upvote 0
There's a very simple way to figure out wether there's bullet lag or not.

1.) Make sure no internet browser is running
2.) Turn off your Anti Virus program
3.) Start up RO2 and join the server with the lowest ping possible

Now start noting the amount of lead you need to acquire to hit an enemy sprinting past your line of sight at various distances.

Fact: If an enemy is running directly perpendicular to your line of sight from 50m away, sprinting at say 25 km/h, then with the average rifle you shouldn't need to acquire a lead of more than 50 cm.

Here's something to guage your results with, showing the lead required for the average rifle against a target sprinting perpendicular to your aim at 25 km/h:

Lead required:
25 m = 21.8 cm
50 m = 44.0 cm
75 m = 66.8 cm
100 m = 90.1 cm
125 m = 113.9 cm
150 m = 138.3 cm
175 m = 163.3 cm
200 m = 188.9 cm

Bullet: .308 147 gr NATO. MV: 805 m/s. BC: .421 G1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoiler!

I have seen it today alot times by myself,four shots in his back,he turns around and dead,me of course.Not one time only but a few.

Looks like the hitbox thing in bad company 2.TWI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bad Company 2's hit detection was actually a latency normalization thing. In order to make the netcode cherry for consoles, they basically had the game register what the person with the slowest latency saw. So that's why you'd run around corners and then die, because to the guy shooting you, you were hit out of cover.

In this.....I don't know. I've shot people at about 40 meters with a clean, steady shot and seen dust appear on the wall behind them, perfectly outlining their torso. If the bullet landed in the center of that puff.....it would have gone straight through their breast bone.

IMO it's probably server lag more than anything. I know I don't see any servers at less than 75 ping now, and even NA servers with 50+ people on them I'm pining at 200+. I'm not sure why I'm getting such terrible pings, other people have said they're seeing much better ones reported by the server browser.

I have seen it today alot times by myself,four shots in his back,he turns around and dead,me of course.Not one time only but a few.
Just last night I was looking out a door way in grain elevator and bullets start whizzing by me from behind. I turn around and it's a German probably 15 feet away in a doorway with a pistol, clearly in the aiming stance. He's firing slowly and methodically at me. There's no way he should have missed me. And then I snapped up and put two quick ones in him and he was dead. It definitely felt wrong. You start to kind of know just by looking when someone has you dead to rights, and this guy did. Unless he was trying for a headshot and was just terrible.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0