• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Hints&Tips for transitioning players

ynnub

Mar 13, 2006
HI! first of all, welcome to this fantastic game. since there is such a huge influx of new players here, most of whom play other games or have moved here from other games. when i started playing i had my share of issues and bad habits picked up from games i was playing prior to RO. games such as DOD, COD and the Battlefield franchise. so i thought i would write up a lil piece to hopefully help ease the transition to RO.

(sorry if something like this has been posted. i couldnt find anything ;))

-runspeed:

wtf!? ya you move very slowly. a lot slower than youre used to. are you really running slow though? or are you simply just moving way too fast in other games? at any rate the pace in RO is slower than most. this is where your transition begins. get used to it, load a map by yourself and cruise around, this is your new pace. try to match your actions with it.

-game pace:

again RO plays slower. everything from your actions, to respawn timers, capturing objectives. i was so used to the 100 mile an hour, no recoil, uber thompson spraying in cod that when i came to RO i just couldnt get around this. everything is slowed down to simulate realism. you cannot insta prone->scope->aim->headshot->bolt->re-aim. your actions in RO must be more planned and deliberate to be successful. there is no more instant transition between postures, scoping, bolting, reloading. all these things take time in real life, so they do in RO aswell.

the real trick to overcoming this one though is just slowing down in your mind too. just relax, find cover, line up your shots and plan ahead for the transitions. again, play alone to practice and 'learn' the timing between posture changes, rifle bolting, leaning etc.

-gameflow:

the object of RO is to capture and/or defend control points around the map. its not a deathmatch or ctf or anything else. your team must assault or defend an area in a certain amount of time to win. press O by default, to bring up your ingame map. shows you who controls what, where you are, and on the right, your objectives.

this is pretty familiar to BF and DOD players. same concept, you enter a radius, the capture bar shows up on your screen. you wait for the timer to go down to capture. if enemies are in the radius it will slow down or stop. best thing to learn here is the capture radius of all the points on each map. as some players (including yourself) can hide in certain areas.

-ironsights? no crosshair wtf!?:

yep. theres no 2D picture in the center of your screen. you have to use the guns' 3D ironsights to aim. all weapons have 3D iron sights in RO. meaning you look down the barrel of your weapon and use the model's geometry to line up your shots. and dont even think of 'marking' your monitor with tape or marker etc. RO has a freeaim system to combat this. your weapon will sway away from the center of the screen as you look in each direction.

not to say you cant ever 'fire from the hip'. it works just like it does in other games, but its done this way to simulate realism and to discourage the run and gun tactics that are far too successful in those games. with time you will 'learn' to hipshoot with each weapon. RO is kinda funny like that. run and gun is an entry level tactic in other games where as its sort of an advanced tactic in RO ;).

-accuracy:

wondering where your bullets are going? considering calling in a crime scene investigation unit to explain where the $*&% your bullet went, if not into the skull of the guy you were aiming at? dont bother. weapons in RO arent exactly instagib railguns you are used to in other games. you need to aim!! also you need to consider your posture, your cover, your range, your weapon and your targets actions. 9/10 times in a 1v1 medium ranged encounter, the guy who takes the time to get into the right posture, rest his weapon on the ground/object around him, wait for the sway and line it up wins. again with the slower pace, take your time :D. be conscious of your stamina levels too, as it also has an effect on your accuracy until it subsides.

there may be other factors im not familiar with or know how to explain, such as bullet drop etc.

-accuracy2 (weapon resting):

VERY IMPORTANT!
this is by far the most exciting new feature in RO IMHO and most important (not sure if this was in the mod, dun think so). you can 'interact' with all geometry in the game (except other players). when ever youre in ironsight mode with any weapon. simply move the barrel of your gun against door ways, rocks, walls, the ground, the floor, window sils, tables, chairs, ledges, sandbags, trees. ANYTHING!!! move your gun around until you see the little icon of MG bipods on a sandbag on the right of your hud just above the compass. when that icon pops up and goes and stays white, you have nearly 100% accuracy (notice your weapon stops swaying ;) ) this can be done in all postures and while leaning. you will know you hit the 'sweet spot' when moving your aim around feels sticky.

-how do i change class!?:

you hit escape! but, RO has class limits in place to insure a sense of realism. the class limits or cap, also help balance the weapons and determine how a map is played out. cant have an entire army with scoped svt40's! so in other words, if its greyed out you cant choose it. its full with other players.

not to say the class selection system couldnt be improved. its a fantastic system for the reasons mentioned above, but could use some tweaking to be more fair to everyone playing not just those who load the map first.

**perhaps the first round of every map, kits are distributed randomly and then 1st choice is awarded to the player with the highest score (and so on) for every subsequent round. could also add a swap class button much like americas army**

-friendly fire:

ya its hard to tell sometimes. the maps arent exactly linear like DOD nor do you have a magical radar in the 1940's that shows you where your squad is. you will get spread out, the front lines will become more dynamic as the match pushes on. the uniforms are very similar sometimes at certain ranges too. if youre not sure, dont shoot! use chat, use your mic. advance with your squad mates instead of camping out.:cool:

Last edited: