• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

High Ping

Nebfer

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006
for the past few months Most of the games I play have been geting me horible ping rates (as high as 1,000). I have no Idea why it dose this. I have DSL, my computer is more than capable of running the programs (5200 AMD duel core, 2656MB radeon 3850 and 2 gig PC 6400 ram).

Most of the time when I play It starts up fine at around 80 or 180 (depending on the server and location) then after a little whill it starts climbing to around 400 or more and stays there for quite a while. (it dose go down but it soon climbs back up again.)

I have recently formated windows (but not the drive that has all the games and what not).

The odd thing is that most of the other computers do not have this problem (or not to the same extent as this one dose).

Is there any thing I can do to fix this issue?

I think the Ping number is based, at least partially, to your geographical location in relation to the server.

So apart from moving closer to whatever server you're playing on, I don't think there is anything you can do.

I'm not 100% certain about that, but that is what I've heard in the course of playing games like FH1 and RO.

Upvote 0
for the past few months Most of the games I play have been geting me horible ping rates (as high as 1,000). I have no Idea why it dose this. I have DSL, my computer is more than capable of running the programs (5200 AMD duel core, 2656MB radeon 3850 and 2 gig PC 6400 ram).

Most of the time when I play It starts up fine at around 80 or 180 (depending on the server and location) then after a little whill it starts climbing to around 400 or more and stays there for quite a while. (it dose go down but it soon climbs back up again.)

I have recently formated windows (but not the drive that has all the games and what not).

The odd thing is that most of the other computers do not have this problem (or not to the same extent as this one dose).

Is there any thing I can do to fix this issue?

Are these computers in your house connected to the internet through the same router? You also say to the same extent, do you game on these machines as well as your main rig?

Upvote 0
Also, make sure you're not running any peer-to-peer file sharing software. Limewire, Kazaa, BitTorrent clients, etc. - they all just chew your bandwidth up and spit it out, even if it doesn't appear that they're transferring data at a very high rate. Even if they're not transferring data at all. I've forgotten to turn Limewire off before and and found myself with an 800-900 ping. As soon as I alt-tab and close it out, right back down to sub-100 numbers.

Upvote 0
Also, make sure you're not running any peer-to-peer file sharing software. Limewire, Kazaa, BitTorrent clients, etc. - they all just chew your bandwidth up and spit it out, even if it doesn't appear that they're transferring data at a very high rate. Even if they're not transferring data at all. I've forgotten to turn Limewire off before and and found myself with an 800-900 ping. As soon as I alt-tab and close it out, right back down to sub-100 numbers.

I dont beleve I use any of these on a reguler bases. But thanks for that little bit.

unless Veoh counts bet even then I dont use it, (though some of my siblings do use it.)

The only thing I tryed that worked a bit was reducing the amount of proccesser time the computer uses on RO and other games. (the highist ping I got after that was 500 and often it was around 150-300).

Upvote 0