• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hidden And Dangerous 2 Review

H&D 1 and 2 were true classics. The missions are top notch, and I think they are realistic as well. But the game gives you the freedom of choice how to succeed in a mission. The first time I had to find the german pilot at the italian airfield I've done it (almost) silently, but second time I've tried it the way what SAS operatives used: going in high speed by jeeps and firing every weapon on every target of opportunity. :) Both ways were successful (but the second one needed extra luck to be honest with you), and both ways were really fun to do.
I never experienced such flexible gameplay in any other singleplayer game.
And yes, attention to detail is still exemplary, I can't name any other game which features such authentic environments which we can witness in the HD series. (Come on, Bothers in Arms which came out years later claimed it has the uber-realistic, never before seen environments, and all the maps literally seemed like carbon copies of the other levels - excluding elevation)

Upvote 0
H&D 1 and 2 were true classics. The missions are top notch, and I think they are realistic as well. But the game gives you the freedom of choice how to succeed in a mission. The first time I had to find the german pilot at the italian airfield I've done it (almost) silently, but second time I've tried it the way what SAS operatives used: going in high speed by jeeps and firing every weapon on every target of opportunity. :) Both ways were successful (but the second one needed extra luck to be honest with you), and both ways were really fun to do.
I never experienced such flexible gameplay in any other singleplayer game.
And yes, attention to detail is still exemplary, I can't name any other game which features such authentic environments which we can witness in the HD series. (Come on, Bothers in Arms which came out years later claimed it has the uber-realistic, never before seen environments, and all the maps literally seemed like carbon copies of the other levels - excluding elevation)
Yeah before Red Orchestra, Hidden & Dangerous (1&2) was the last word in fairly realistic WW2 FPS gaming. Like you say the freedom to accomplish the mission in any fashion you want (so long as it gets done) is great. Plus each soldier is an individual and he can die ever so easily never to be replaced so you end up playing missions over and over trying to preserve all your buddies through till the end. The realism of course is 900% better than the COD series in every possible way, from the way you are free to accomplish the missions as you see fit and not "ok kill this guy then hold off this scripted wave of Germans then advance to the next part and trigger the next pre-determined scripted AI attack" ala COD. To the realistic "one shot can kill you or your buddies so be very very carefull" Just like RL. All that combined with the awesomely realistic level design just dripping with atmosphere and you have a classic timeless series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Plus each soldier is an individual and he can die ever so easily never to be replaced so you end up playing missions over and over trying to preserve all your buddies through till the end.

So it's not just me who did that? :p

The Africa Canyon missions were sole distroying. Smashing through a German checkpoint in your jeep only to see one of your lads slump over in his seat from a stray head shot lol

The 2nd Burma mission was bad for that, lost so many men to arty or from a grenade in the tunnels after that.

Gotta admit tho, hated the Tirpitz mission. found myself screaming at the screen to swim faster lol

Upvote 0
Gotta admit tho, hated the Tirpitz mission. found myself screaming at the screen to swim faster lol

Well that actually reminds me about one funny thing once. I managed to drop a german body into the ocean so it saved me some trouble.

And when I got disguised and such, I just grabbed that aquatank where I left it and jumped over board without no-one noticing (expect that dead guy who was sleeping with the fishes).

Upvote 0
Did both.

I found the team AI wasn't too bad. Path finding was . . . interesting, but as far as combat they were fine aslong as you deployed them in a decent spot they'd cover you well. Give them a bren gun and they'll mow down the enemy, but they tended to **** with sniper weapons.

Enemy AI tho was a bit random. I've wiped out whole squads by covering a door way and watching them walk in one by one. The Burma missions were hard tho because the Japanese troops really did seem to favour charging to sniping.

And how ****ing annoying are dogs? :p

Upvote 0
I lost two men to dogs on the Norway mission. I was shooting at that squad of germans that come down the main road when I heard barking and thought "Dogs? This game has dogs? WhAT!AARGGG!! NOOOOOO THEY ARE KILLING MY MANS!" It was a very unpleasant experience.

Anyone else loose a man on that tower on the norway mission? I put a sniper up there to cover the team and I forgot about him. I told everyone to follow me and he just jumped straight down the 100ft tower to his death. Another unpleasant experience. Or when my men decide not to follow the correct path through the swamp and get themselves killed. Nearly 100% of the time they do it perfectly but every now and again they must think "This doesn't look so deep...*gargle*. And then there's the Burma tree bridge.

Upvote 0
So what do you guys think of the a.i? Did you play through the single player game with a team of a.i soldiers with you - or as a lone soldier?
A.I. was very decent on hardest difficulty and Teammates were annoying as hell so I played it all as Lone Wolf: the best experience you can get out of the game imo. :)

Upvote 0
Well to be honest I was on the edge of a heart attack when I realized there is someone who likes 'unrealistic' western front based game.
It's not as bad as you think. ;)

It's just a that a lot of people get sick hearing their "friends" talk how good CounterStrike: Source is over and over and over...
Or Red Orchestra bashers.

I know all about it. ^^
Luckily, I know how to physically discourage somebody very very quickly and easily. :D

Upvote 0
Who knows. So far almost every 'unrealistic' game, no matter which genre (with few exceptions), have been bashed around due it's unrealistic.
I own so many unrealitic games it's not funny. There's nothing wrong with liking unrealistic games when you just want to unwind and laugh or have mindless fun or just because they are fun & entertaining/interesting to play. There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying unrealistic games (whatever the genre). But sometimes people just want to play a realistic game like RO because while other unrealistic games are fun for a while some players (like me) have decided that they only want to play realistic FPS war games because they are quite simply tired of arcady WW2 FPS and want something more serious, realistic and skillfull to play. Right now I just reinstalled "Hitman Contracts" and I'm replaying it for the 2nd time. Realistic? Not especially. Fun & extremely entertaining? YES!

Upvote 0
Hahaha that airfield mission was awesome, I also tried it both ways and then my own way. This was basically to arrange my men in a firing line and then start a fire fight myself and retreat to our position drawing the enemy into a little gully where we cut them to ribbons and then moved in and mopped up the base.

I then took the Italian commanders hat and wore it for the rest of the campaign :D

Another funny one was the later airfield mission, I forget what it was about, but I basically walked one of my blokes in dressed in a Kraut desert uniform with an MP40, ambled over to these tank bunkers killed a few workshop guys and drivers, took a Tiger, destroyed the other Tiger and then drove over to where my team was hiding. We then all mounted up and went on a delightful little murder spree through the airfield and base laying waste to everything that moved.

I also did it again with a Panther in the last mission, took it and creamed the German roadblocks lol.

H&D2 just rocked!

Last edited:
Upvote 0