• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were some things in RO1's wound system that were a bit silly. Like when you would shoot someone crossing the street in the foot, and he would seem to almost come to a dead stop and SLOWLY continue his way across until you shot him again... that was always hilarious. So let's not go crazy idealizing RO1 or anything.

But there's things I miss. I do think taking a hit should hamper you more than it does. Right now in RO2 when I'm hit MORE OFTEN THAN NOT it's a bandagable wound. I think because most players aren't using bolt rifles, I tend to get hit by a PPSHor AVT round (I play Axis) at range and often those bullets don't have the punch to bring me down permanently. So one bandage and I'm good as new.

I miss having your gun shot out of your hand. Nothing makes you feel like "Oh damn that was CLOSE!". Also moving slower if shot in the leg would be nice. And CERTAINLY increase the weapon sway if you're wounded. People want that kind of thing because, honestly, if you get a kill in that state or survive an epic firefight wounded the sense of triumph is unrivaled.

That said I do really like the bleed out system in RO2. I like that people aren't always hit and killed at the drop of the hat, that's not necessarily "realistic" either.

There's a happy medium here, I expect it'll be found in a future patch.

Upvote 0
I've been thinking you need to take longer to bleed out on average....but bleeding needs to accelerate over time if untreated. It's probably too much to ask that the game could know when you're moving around, running, mantling....and increase bleeding from wounds based on that.

But the window for when you CAN bandage to save yourself is so small, you almost have to do it immediately or die. People have already gotten good at bandaging THE SECOND a close combat encounter is over, or the second they take a round and get back into cover. If bleeding were less severe to start with but got worse and people could do more while bleeding....(along with way longer bandaging time) I think it might hit a sweet spot.

Also, one application of bandages treats ALL wounds at the same time. While I think it's too much to say three wounded areas takes three bandages, it should take three times as long to bandage one wound as it does three. That would easily add time bandaging in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure, on paper it sounds great. We were all sold a 'detailed and complex' wounding system before beta and game-launch. Unfortunately, in-game it is a different matter. Players literally take a bullet anywhere (spare head and torso shots from bolties), duck down and bandage up in two seconds. Where is the complexity in that? Never once have I seen any depth in the wound system. Has your design team been smoking pot the past few months? Did you actually get a new one in to replace the original RO:I team?

Really it's great to see TW called out on things like this finally. In terms of pure gameplay there is very little difference between bandaging and cod health regen system other then a single button press. No actual consequences to getting shot, but bandaids are limited which I guess is the realism part.

Reactions: nebsif and Kenobi
Upvote 0
Uh no. Whether or not you're going to agree with him, you have all the power in the world to post like an adult and not a jerk who thinks he has the upper hand. If you expect more of Tripwire, they can arguably be expecting more out of you too. He's not insulting you, why don't you return the favor.

I don't normally register a username to a forum just to throw my two cents into a conversation, but I couldn't help it this time.

Kenobi has every right to voice his concerns, and he how he chooses to come across is his pejorative. There is a constant air of frustration around here because the people in charge keep side-stepping. Besides, what are we? A bunch of soccer-moms? Why do you feel we need to speak at a low murmur and forgive unanswered questions? We, as consumers, were lead to believe, reasonably, that certain ideas, features, and concessions would be made. Furthermore, these concessions were to be made with the pretense of realism. We were not delivered what we were told would be delivered, and some of us are upset.

Upvote 0
Some of you guys are taking this to such a personal level on SasQuatch that you'd warrant a punch out if you said it that way to his face -- which internet toughguys would never do.

The guy took the time out to join the discussion, seems to be speaking honestly (he actually seems to be the only one at least somewhat open on these things from TWI), and you wanna get personal with him because you think that somebody else has been lying. It's one thing to state your opinion in a calm way, but another to be a belligerant jackass.

I agree somewhat but his response came of as pretty lame excuse and telling us to live with it, which I must say is rather depressing.

Upvote 0
I agree that that is not how it should work and I'm pretty sure the rest of the team agrees on that too. I also see servers with latency problems - and I'm noticing that a lot of these occurances happen when everybodies ping is 100 something. I've seen weird things happen on servers that suffer from this. I'm not saying that is the cause, but I'm saying taking a Mauser slug in the chest and walk was not a designed feature.

Hehe yesterday I jumped into a trench on Spartanovka and shot a guy in the back with an 8mm round. He started to turn so I bolted and put another one into his side. He then hosed me with his PPSH and proceeded to bandage two what would probably be fist sized holes in his rib cage xD

Oh and I know I hit him because there was blood splatter all over the inside of the trench... also I was like two meters away xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bull. Did the design team do their research and take into account the previous rifle-orientated game that was RO:I? Did they take into account the prevalance of rifles over SMGs and Semi-Autos in the real war? Stating that we should be happy to 'have the challenge' as a rifleman is just a cop-out excuse, something that TWI seem to be dishing more and more out.

I can make SMG's more challenging if I squint my eyes or refuse to use Iron Sights. That would be artificially limiting myself though, same as I would be by choosing a bolt action rifle for the reasons SasQuatch suggested. If I wanted even more challenge with a bolt I could use the bayonet only I guess. In Ostfront I liked bolting because it was challengin, but you also knew the other weapons had challenge too or had situational uses, and you knew most other players were in the same boat

The game shouldn't be easy mode for some group of players and hard for others without there being a large payoff for playing "hard" mode. There's just no balance in the game. High rate of fire weapons have no difficulty balances like recoil, damage, sway, accuracy, spread etc, or even physical balances by limiting their amount as the ratio seems to be about 1/3 bolts on a full server (less if its not full), which is compounded by players able to pick up any weapon they find.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
He didn't tell you to "live with it." He gave you an opinion and some chose to ride him over it.

No, he's using a straw man argument.

It's like if someone told you that load times were being increased, and when you asked why, they answered, "Well NOW you can think more about your strategy while you're sitting there, and just LOOK at these new load screen pictures ... aren't they great?"

Upvote 0
Really it's great to see TW called out on things like this finally. In terms of pure gameplay there is very little difference between bandaging and cod health regen system other then a single button press. No actual consequences to getting shot, but bandaids are limited which I guess is the realism part.

As far as i know, bandaging only stops you from losing health. It does not regenerate your health points.

Reactions: HerrThomas
Upvote 0
Here's the thing man, if you guys just want riflemen to be "for a challenge" you might as well remove all class limits other than Commander/SL. Just let everyone grab whatever gun they feel like and be done with it. At the moment it's just a computer speed race to whoever can grab the "good" classes first, and the rest get the booby prize.

Upvote 0
You did not really answer the questions revolving in this topic.
Namely, how about that hero status and the rarity of the rare weapons being NOT rare?
Please dont pussyfoot around the crucial things, many companies do that and it gives them bad rep.

OK, i really appreciate some devs finally appearing here, its long overdue. So respect for that. But as the previous guy says, lets focus on what this thread is about. Complaints about bandages should go in its own thread. Here we are talking about the availability of the mkbs, which we were told were gonna be rare, as OP quoted in his original post, and hero status, which is MIA.

I still love this game so much, and i know im gonna stick with it, even more after modders fix the fantasy weapons, but we'd really like, now that we know that you are not ignoring the thread, to get an honest, straight answer about these two core gameplay issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's the thing man, if you guys just want riflemen to be "for a challenge" you might as well remove all class limits other than Commander/SL. Just let everyone grab whatever gun they feel like and be done with it. At the moment it's just a computer speed race to whoever can grab the "good" classes first, and the rest get the booby prize.

Another issue which I've tried to address but got shouted down by those with uber rigs and 1,000,00 MB/s connections. TWI proliferates all the automatic weapons, but there aren't enough for everybody -- roughly half -- so the guys with fast puters or connections (whichever is helping them load the new maps faster than other playrs) get their choice of both team and class every freaking game, hog all the goodies for themselves, and the rest of us get lmg or bolty.

If there isn't a FAIR way to assign teams and classes, then yeah, I agree, let's go COD and everybody can pick whatever they want. I don't understand why there can't be a 20 second delay from the first load to the selection screen until the buttons actually function, to give everyone except those with hideous load times an equal chance at the goodies. Hell, even auto assign, or something along those lines. Giving people with the best equipment the right to always butt to the front of the line is unfair bullscheisse and patently unfair. To me, it reeks of flat-out lazyness in terms of game design; how difficult can it be to design and implement a fair class and team assignment or lottery system???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another issue which I've tried to address but got shouted down by those with uber rigs and 1,000,00 MB/s connections. TWI proliferates all the automatic weapons, but there aren't enough for everybody -- roughly half -- so the guys with fast puters or connections (whichever is helping them load the new maps faster than other playrs) get their choice of both team and class every freaking game, hog all the goodies for themselves, and the rest of us get lmg or bolty.

If there isn't a FAIR way to assign teams and classes, then yeah, I agree, let's go COD and everybody can pick whatever they want. I don't understand why there can't be a 20 second delay from the first load to the selection screen until the buttons actually function, to give everyone except those with hideous load times an equal chance at the goodies. Hell, even auto assign, or something along those lines. Giving people with the best equipment the right to always butt to the front of the line is unfair bullscheisse and patently unfair. To me, it reeks of flat-out lazyness in terms of game design; how difficult can it be to design and implement a fair class and weapons assignment or lottery system???

A 'lottery' one can apply for non rifle weapons would be nice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.