• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

I assume by "left hill" you are speaking from the defenders perspective.

it originally was going to be open. But it made the map really huge. Meaning combat was sporadic. If the game had more then 64 players then yeah it would make it more interesting.
That bunker and the bushes near it are still massive headaches for the americans when german snipers post themselves up there. Cutting the germans off part way through the assault is better for gameplay in my opinion. Rather than the Americans repeatably being outflanked by the defenders whenever they make ground.

I don't think the lightbulbs are getting you shot either. People are just seeing you. There's enough light on the map for that to begin with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like to request a small change to Oosterbek. It would be nice to have a building accessible at grid G8 on the map. Which would allow attackers to outflank the defenders and cut off their reinforcement. Charlie objective is such a fortress it's often difficult to get it.
Apart from this, I'm still crashing on Caen Outskirts, which is sad. Would love to play that map.

Upvote 0
Raven1986;n2276522 said:
Apart from this, I'm still crashing on Caen Outskirts, which is sad. Would love to play that map.
Yup. Nothing kills a full server faster than Caen Outskirts. I'd like to see server admins remove the map from rotation until the crashing is fixed for everyone. HotW is already pretty barren, god knows we don't need stuff like this.

Upvote 0
Some feedback to the Ardennes Offensive Update.

It's good to see some new content. The new winter uniforms for the Germans looks nice and fit well into the new maps Elsenborn Ridge. (Great to see Elsenborn Sägewerk was spelled correctly. Not CoD style!)
Elsenborn Ridge is in some way a dream come true. To play the German campaign of Call of Duty United Offensive, which was never made.
Foy is a classic returning from Darkest Hour. Great to see it back in action. Players have been complaining they spawn into German MG fire upon map start. Maybe you like to have a look into this.

A major drawback is however we are still fighting Ivan and sometimes Tojo. Maybe you can just delete the American lines with Tojo. And as for the Germans. Check out Battlefield 1's awesome German battle chatter. It's emotional, it's correct, you are saying the right things to the enemy. Get your wallet out and pay for some German high quality voices.

Concerning the older maps such as Omaha Beach, sadly the houses on C7 nor C4 are accessible. They would aid in defending or attacking the corresponding objectives.

Oh and one more thing, you folks were worried about implementing Waffen SS skins, cause this might get the game banned in some countries. Darkest Hour has them since ... well ages, and you folks are using Fallschirmjäger skins. The breast eagle as well as the cap insignia display swastikas. So don't worry about the runes, you have already crossed that line. Just sayin ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh it does. The issue is quite simple here. The German audio is unfit and a major scratch on the Mona Lisa HotW team is painting.
Chance #1: Community made voices. You chose to call them inferior to your mod. No one will record voices after what you pulled off. Most certainly not for free anyways.
Chance #2: You rip them off of Call of Duty or Medal of Honor. Great copyright infringement there folks! You are sentenced to pay even more.
Chance #3: You pay some actors and get voices. As I said, ask those from Battlefield 1 as they are really immersive. Or ask Tripwire to record some.

More feedback on the update:

Saint Come Du Mont, well when the community said it's broken for Allies, they surely did not mean to ruin it up for Axis. The map's interiors lightening is too much. There is surely no electricity left in this town. And as some RO veterans once put it: "You only turn on the light at night if you wanna commit suicide." Obviously the majority of mappers is suicidal.

Elsenborn Ridge has been called imbalanced by Allied players. It's the same whiny **** that went on in the opening days of Red Orchestra 2. Good maps such as Pavlov's House or Commissar's House were ruined. Don't listen to them and their **** spewing.

Upvote 0
We think elsenborn balance is fine.

With Saint come du mont the allies never saw the 2nd half of the map. So things have to change. Still both times I've played it allows have lost. But I've heard allies have won it as well. Plus based on what you tell me you've seen the allies do well too. So it's in a better state than it was.

Voices. Even if we had you it's only 1 voice. Still need 2 more. And yeah the audio quality wasn't great with it peaking frequently. 75% of the Recordings redlined and the tone wasn't as varied. With tojo's remaining in the american lines… I've swept the american voices 3 times. It takes ages each time. And some still escape me.

I would love to play the mod more to improve it. But you know who is preventing me from doing that. I'm the devil apparently. It's been 6 months too btw.

Upvote 0
Now some more feedback:

On Elsenborn Ridge upon entering the Sawmill through the left front door (German perspective) I crashed consecutive times. No idea why, but my screen froze up.

Concerning Foy, I'd suggest several more resupply areas so TL and SL's can throw a large amount of smokes. However I'd avoid going for the Port Brest solution as this amount of smoke was just unreal. OR you implement a Bren Carrier. Yeah it's a British vehicle but we don't have anything else at the moment.

Carentan's Bravo objective has an invisible blocking volume between the building and the fence. Just right by the hole in it.

Well, you as the lead sound supervisor should and could have told me they were peaking too much, from early recording stages forward. Instead of "they are okay". Nah, I'm not saying you the devil, but I don't have a say in the server policy either.

Upvote 0
Raven1986;n2282347 said:
Now some more feedback:

On Elsenborn Ridge upon entering the Sawmill through the left front door (German perspective) I crashed consecutive times. No idea why, but my screen froze up.

Concerning Foy, I'd suggest several more resupply areas so TL and SL's can throw a large amount of smokes. However I'd avoid going for the Port Brest solution as this amount of smoke was just unreal. OR you implement a Bren Carrier. Yeah it's a British vehicle but we don't have anything else at the moment.

Carentan's Bravo objective has an invisible blocking volume between the building and the fence. Just right by the hole in it.

Well, you as the lead sound supervisor should and could have told me they were peaking too much, from early recording stages forward. Instead of "they are okay". Nah, I'm not saying you the devil, but I don't have a say in the server policy either.

I did.

The problem was you kept posting all your lines here. Everyone else here said they were amazing. But they praised everything even though half of it turned out to be disliked in practice, by the people who actually played the mkd. They like modders too much to criticise them lol. I'd already learned that happens. Our standards also changed.

We have to make those cut's sometimes. You aren't the only person who has made something for the mod and had it removed from the final product. Believe me I don't like having to do it. But I have to. Having to tell someone that something they worked so hard on isn't going in. It can make people upset and I don't like doing it.

As someone who speaks german I can see how you have a bigger issue with the germans saying the wrong things. But I weighed it up. Coming to the conclusion that more people would be annoyed by the sound quality than by the words they use. Thats a very hard call to make and partially subjective as it is.

Also interesting side note that you have no say. See Mord told me the opposite. Or more correctly he said only members get a say. Of which you are one.

Upvote 0
Last version has problems in files:

first there are duplicates of config files, with "( 2 )" in the file name
you have config file for non existent map file, leading to a problem while changing to this non existent map
you have typo in Hill 400 map config file: WF-Hill400B3 (twice) instead of WF-Hill400

you should really be careful with that, previous update had similar problems with config files for three or four non existent maps..

Upvote 0
omano;n2282540 said:
Last version has problems in files:

first there are duplicates of config files, with "( 2 )" in the file name
you have config file for non existent map file, leading to a problem while changing to this non existent map
you have typo in Hill 400 map config file: WF-Hill400B3 (twice) instead of WF-Hill400

you should really be careful with that, previous update had similar problems with config files for three or four non existent maps..

Yes someone must have clicked create copy rather than overwrite.

Upvote 0
Feedback on Hill-400:

Hill400 is a classic for the Western Front. However, the bunkers are a joke. German fortifications especially larger ones prevented the enemy from strolling in there as they pleased. Walking away from the spawn and getting banged by a Yank just few meters away from the actual spawn inside the underground bunker complex is a sad joke, if at all. German bunker entrances were always safe guarded by at least one stationary machine gun behind a narrow firing slot. No easy "fire in the hole!" for the Yanks.
Just google "WW2 German Bunker Design" and you get great sketches with dimensions. You really need to rework this map.

Feedback on Carentan:

Carentan is an older map just like Hill-400. My issue with this map is the little amount of windows you may use. Germans/Americans exactly know behind which window you are standing. Not good at all. Open up more rooms and windows for more intense house to house fighting. Also increase the ticket count for a more prolonged battle.

Feedback on Caen Outskirts:

The map is still a huge jerk to me. The longest time I was capable of running it did not exceed 5 mins. It always crashes. Possibly it's the RAM overflow, which is caused by the 32-bit bottleneck.

Feedback on Foy:

I do not know whether there yet has been a hot fix or not. However Americans are making good progress on the map now, at least most of the times.

Oh and something in general: The excessive use of the Sherman tank is nice but Germans need AT weapons. It's no longer 1942, it's mid-1944 to early 1945. Germans had Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck in their arsenal. Remember the US Bazooka was modeled after the German Panzerschreck. So it would be good to have this available.
Otherwise we need mobile AT guns, the Germans can push around and destroy the Shermans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0