• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

heroes in RS

I'm as confused as you.

By the way, out of interest, have you seen "Flags of our fathers" and "letters from Iwo Jima"?

Yes, we have all watched them - they are pretty much required watching for team members. I enjoyed both hugely. :)

We have also sat through our researcher's critique of what they did wrong in those films. :(

Upvote 0
IF (note that word 'if', please) katanas were in RS, they would be announced a long time in the future.

man_crying_1.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooo!! :( :(

Upvote 0
Yes, we have all watched them - they are pretty much required watching for team members. I enjoyed both hugely. :)

We have also sat through our researcher's critique of what they did wrong in those films. :(

I'm curious--besides the lack of any real tactics in most of the film's firefights and some subtle cultural errors in portraying the Japanese military culture and high command, what are some things they did wrong? It's been awhile since I've seen either film, but I didn't notice many inaccuracies at the time.:eek: Your researcher must have a sharp eye :IS2:.

Upvote 0
Well there was the fact that the Japanese MG nest in 'Flags of our fathers' was constructed of wood/logs on an island with no trees, the plane that flew the Japanese general in at the beginning of 'Letters...' was a post-war job IIRC and about 100 other things - nitpicky, I know, but that's what researchers do.

Upvote 0
Well there was the fact that the Japanese MG nest in 'Flags of our fathers' was constructed of wood/logs on an island with no trees, the plane that flew the Japanese general in at the beginning of 'Letters...' was a post-war job IIRC and about 100 other things - nitpicky, I know, but that's what researchers do.

That's just plain skills as far as I am conserned. :cool: I hope RS will be great :)

Upvote 0
Heck yeah. Heroes are defined by action, not designation.

I think some raggedy-*** marines would be nice to see on the battlefield ;)

Seeing as Rising Storm has already been designed to feature everything in RO2, from progression to unlocks to single player, I'm not even sure if removing heroes from the game is anywhere near the negotiating table. If that's the case, and Heroes and unlocks are going to appear in RS by default, then here's what I'd like to see as far as Heroes:

One. Per team. And he earned that title through actual matches, not by killing bots. Any historically rare equipment (eyeing that Type 100) should be accessible to him alone.

My view has always been that the rarer something (a rank, weapon, vehicle, etc...) is, the more significant it is to the player when they have the chance to try it. It becomes something to work towards, and once you have it, you feel more of an obligation to use it properly, since nobody else on your team has access to it.

Btw, if we're to see unlocks, you've probably heard/seen this a dozen times, but please allow us to select which ones we equip!

I have faith in your good judgement! :cool:
(seriously, that's not an ultimatum trying to bind you to creating the game a certain way. I honestly am confident that you guys will do a great job)

Upvote 0
Seeing as Rising Storm has already been designed to feature everything in RO2, from progression to unlocks to single player,

That would be sad.

Regarding your other ideas about heroes, I challenge everyone to step out of the box for a moment.

Consider: A hero is not a guy who scores a million points in a honor system so weighted towards success as to be meaningless.

A hero is the guy who scores three kills in 3 seconds, or the guy who gets in the cap just in time to save the cap, or the guy who gets ammo to a depleted MG. etc. Action in game defines the hero.

I truly believe that there is an opportunity in this game family to create a hero system unlike anything seen before. One based on action in game. The possibilities are endless, without any updates, save for perhaps updating a table once in a while.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see officers with their cotton collars pulled out over their tunics, and flapping old boot soles with tabi socks showing inside. :D Field caps should be sagging and ruffled up, buttons should be missing... rank insignia only on one shoulder with just the bare threads dangling off on the other... Shin gunto swords with cracks and missing chips on the blades... And of course GIGANTIC sweat stains on the armpits, all down the back, around the neck etc. etc. Yellow jaudiced eye-balls... missing teeth from malnutrition and scurvy.

These soldiers should look like they jungle is actively trying to kill them every day, and that the Americans are just a mere annoyance that comes after the fact.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
Personally, I don't want any rank system associated with this mod. At least no ranking system that makes you unlock other types of weapons or attachments. I don't want to have the community separated between playing ranked and unranked servers as well. I want to start playing this mod with all of the weapons and attachments available from the start.

I'm all for cosmetic stuff, like ranks that only exist for the purpose to make your player model more war torn as you progress in ranks, or whatever. Just don't separate it into ranked/unranked servers. I still wouldn't suggest a ranking system for such a thing.

Just some feedback.

Last edited:
Upvote 0