• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hero system question

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
Does the hero and level status will be based on class and/or team, or will it be one single common level up independently?

For example: if you get the hero status playing a Russian, will you automatically get it as a German too? Or... If you level up as a rifleman, will that level remains as a tanker?

I would like to see where instead of "hero" being a permanent rank, it is one player per team, whoever did the best the last match.

A lot of people like persistence(I don't really care, but many do), TWI is trying to sell games, not make a 3d history lesson.

A video game is supposed to be fun, its not a used car dealership where you need "bonuses" and "incentives" to keep playing, it should already be enjoyable.

Upvote 0
A video game is supposed to be fun, its not a used car dealership where you need "bonuses" and "incentives" to keep playing, it should already be enjoyable.
The same could be said of thinking only the format that's been used for the last 20 years is the right one.

Just for kicks though I hope there's an obnoxious sound and big flashing colored lights when you "level up."

Clearly TWI has no idea what they're doing here....because leveling in KF was a huge flop.

Upvote 0
Well I hate to burst your bubble but it sounds like you are going to level up to Hero status, based on what John Gibson said in the Markee Dragon RO2 Demo (the 30 minute one).

But that's just semantics, nothing necessarily official. It just sounded that way from the way he worded it.
In case you want to know what was said here is the link to the video YouTube - Red Orchestra 2 Detailed Gameplay - Interview with John Gibson
it starts at 9.45
(Im noob and don't know how to link a youtube video to start at a specific time :D)

Upvote 0
I would hope its not a permanent leveling, but it seems from the commentaries that it is. The problem with this is that several months after the game is out, most of the people will be hero status. So having a large battle where the majority of players are heros would defeat the purpose IMO.

It could be (and I think it is) a combination of class limits (which I understand there are) and leveling so if you reach a certain level you unlock the ability of heros but you can only have 2 per side or something. I saw a video that seemed to suggest you unlock the sniper gun in a similar fashion but there are still limits. That would be ok I guess, but then its going to be a "who can connect to the server fastest" race to pick the good classes.

I guess the latter if done, would be ok - not optimal, but I dont know how to do it any better. Class limits in any game have that problem anyway but not being able to set limits makes for boring camping matches or everyone runs around with the best classes possible making lower tier classes useless to include.

I guess my best suggestion would be to have a warmup time for everyone to connect. The best players from the previous round is given a prompt "you are chosen as the hero this round!" Then that player can either accept or reject moving it to the next best player if rejected (if they want to be nice or if there is a strategic reason for doing so). - But this way it is completely different from the way it will be.

Upvote 0
hopeful

hopeful

I hope that you when you achieve the rank of hero you can decide to turn it off or something so that you don't always give benefits to people and are just a regular soldier. The way I think it might work is even though you are a hero if there is already 1/multiple heroes(based on what the server sets it to) you are just as high a rank you can be without being a hero until the round switches and everyone alternates or something like that. Regardless i can't wait:IS2:

Upvote 0
I would hope its not a permanent leveling, but it seems from the commentaries that it is. The problem with this is that several months after the game is out, most of the people will be hero status. So having a large battle where the majority of players are heros would defeat the purpose IMO.

As I understand it - being a hero gives you access to the hero weapons. There are a limited number of hero "classes" per map. So even if everyone is of hero "status" it won't make a difference, as the class itself is limited to a very small number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like to see where instead of "hero" being a permanent rank, it is one player per team, whoever did the best the last match.

It doesn't "need" it but if it will keep the player base playing more frequently, then what's the problem.

So long as it doesn't detract from gameplay, that is.

Upvote 0