• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
I desparately need to stop this bad habit I have.

For as long as I can remember, I've chewed the inside of my mouth. I'll bite it on accident while eating or something, and then try to gently remove all the little pieces to make the inside smooth again.

I get canker sores a lot now, and found out that chewing the inside of your mouth can cause these to occur more often. I also found that chewing the inside of your mouth can lead to a higher risk of mouth cancer. :eek:

This is the worst habit I have. It's almost impossible to break, and when I try all I can think of is chewing it again. I feel like a tobacco addict trying to stop smoking.

If any of you have this problem and found a way to fix it, PLEASE tell me how.

I used to chew the inside of my mouth too but I never got addicted!
At some point it was rough and chewed up but once I stoppped doing it, it became normal and smooth again. I don't think I can give you any advice other than just don't do it! Try chewing gum instead or anything to keep your mouth busy..

Upvote 0
You chew the inside of your mouth because it always feels like there's something to chew on (sounds like duh what I just said, but just listen). If you have something out of the ordinary in your mouth, your brain is inclined to chew on it. What I'm saying is, if you let it heal, it would break the habit. My girlfriend also chewed on the inside of her mouth, and after nagging her left and right to stop, it finally healed. And, guess what? She doesn't chew the inside of her mouth anymore.

You just need to seriously, hardcore discipline yourself to not chew the inside of your mouth for like a week to let it heal. Once it does heal, you won't have any inclination to chew anymore.

Also, it's not uncommon for people to do this. :)

Upvote 0
Buy some lemons, if you feel the erge to bite your mouth then grab a lemon and bite into that... hard. Your mouth will puker up enough that you should be unable to chew your cheek, if not then take another hard bite. If that doesn't work then get some awful tasting mouth spray, most likely you will want to keep your mouth open to keep the fumes from going from the roof of your mouth into your nose. Now I would recommend a doctor or someone else before I try this step... over the top spicy food. I don't know about the effect it would have on the wound's healing process but you most certainly won't be thinking about biting your mouth while its on fire ;).

Upvote 0