• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Help to understand rates in killing floor

Dinamix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2012
Hello all , I am now using these rates ,but is it possible to optimzie more?what does MaxInternetClientRate and MaxClientRate?If i will increase more MaxInternetClientRate will be more lag or it will let use more data?

MaxInternetClientRate=10000
MaxClientRate=20000
NetServerMaxTickRate=41

Reactions: King Sumo
Actually, it doesn't change much.
Client hardly sends up to 8000 so 10000 is a safe value.
You could change download to 32000 but I doubt you gonna feel the difference.

Don't touch Tickrate or your server goes insane.

If you do change higher than 20000, then do netspeed 20000 on the client, your FPS cap online jumps to 120 and not 90.

might only need to do netspeed 2000 and not any server side modifications, not sure i dont play outside my own servers to test.

Upvote 0
The default client netspeed is 10000 right?

What I have noticed here is that if we have 1 player and about 30 monsters and everyone walking in the map then the server upload is a little less than ~10000 bytes/s. The upload drops significantly if they stop walking. If we have 32 monsters the upload reaches the maximum value (if MaxClientRate=10000), but this for 1 player. If we have 6 players we reach the 10000 bytes/s when we have about 26 monsters walking.

Upvote 0
The default client netspeed is 10000 right?

What I have noticed here is that if we have 1 player and about 30 monsters and everyone walking in the map then the server upload is a little less than ~10000 bytes/s. The upload drops significantly if they stop walking. If we have 32 monsters the upload reaches the maximum value (if MaxClientRate=10000), but this for 1 player. If we have 6 players we reach the 10000 bytes/s when we have about 26 monsters walking.
I have 20 server players and it lag on higer wawes from 6-7 when it's full.So i should also increase net to 20000 ?

Upvote 0
Hello all , I am now using these rates ,but is it possible to optimzie more?what does MaxInternetClientRate and MaxClientRate?If i will increase more MaxInternetClientRate will be more lag or it will let use more data?

MaxClientRate=20000
NetServerMaxTickRate=41

Any particular reason that you set the tickrate to 41, and not, say, 40? Seems strange to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any particular reason that you set the tickrate to 41, and not, say, 40? Seems strange to me.

I think That tickrate means some sort of like... CSS's FPS in a dedicated server.

If you do change higher than 20000, then do netspeed 20000 on the client, your FPS cap online jumps to 120 and not 90.

might only need to do netspeed 2000 and not any server side modifications, not sure i dont play outside my own servers to test.

Netspeed 2000? they use 2000 when server is idle with one player

Yes and it helps to lower players ping, today i will try to make higher tickrate ,may it help.

Takes up more RAM, and less lag if the players are nearer.
Overall lag reduced with higher tickrates if your netspeed can afford it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think That tickrate means some sort of like... CSS's FPS in a dedicated server.

Netspeed 2000? they use 2000 when server is idle with one player

Takes up more RAM, and less lag if the players are nearer.
Overall lag reduced with higher tickrates if your netspeed can afford it.

Ooops meant 20000 as per the other two places i said 20000

Upvote 0
Now is internetrate 10K ,clientrate 22k and tickrate 60 it helps only minor. Lag occures when many players are shooting at the same time with fast weapons fire rate (smg and other) .I will try today to make internetrate 20k and clientrate 20k and back to 40 or default (30) tickrate.
Sorry for grammar mistakes i am writing from my phone.

Upvote 0
What are your server/connection specs?

I am using dedicated server with:
1gb (kingstond ddr3) ram
Intel Xeon E3 3Ghz
100Mbps connection
15000rpm speed 20gb hdd.

The maximum usage overral was about 80-82 % and kf server was max about 50-60%. Ram usage was 35% once about 40 %.
Also it didn't changed much when made those setting (above post) i will try increase tickrate since it's default now.

Upvote 0
Ok i found that portal turret increase large lag and if playres are also shooting starting get lag (zombies doesn't lag much altghou) only firing example: using smg as normal updates how many ammo you got in lag you shoot about 30 shots ,but it shows that you only fired 5 bullets.On lag ram usage increase up to about 400mb.

Upvote 0

MaxClientRate=20000
NetServerMaxTickRate=41

According to this unrealadmin wiki:
(found in: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT) )
"What effect does it have in UT? Many ppl have seriously interesting views on this that easily can be put in parallel with the quotes from certain presidents in USA.
First of all. Higher tickrate does not improve ping. Very common misconception. What it actually does, is to reduce the time between each time the server handles incoming data, and sends out new data. So let me explain it in more complex terms.
By first explaining what tickrate actually is, I hope to have made you so confused you will believe the rest of the things I write in this document.
Tickrate is actually 'very very complex! It is the "Frames Per Second" the server is running at. Yes, it is so complex. A tickrate of 20 means that the server is doing 20 frames of action per second. To make it even more complex, lets just say, that it processes data 20 times a second. (Player movement, player firing, player deaths, player *****ing, player lagging, and the other more unimportant things 20 times a second). So. 1 Tick = 1 Frame. The server tickrate is the "framerate" at which the server is running on.
Ok, now that you are confused by the tickrate term, lets see how far it is between each tick update. since it says pr second, we will use 1 second, which is 1000 milliseconds. it's Per. so we gotta divide somewhere, let's try the following. 1000ms/20 = 50ms. OK! it might seem like there is 50 milliseconds between each tick. Let's try it the other way. 50ms * 20 = 1000ms. Oh yes, we reversed the equation and got what we started with. That means. A tickrate of 20, gives 50ms between each update on server."

I also found this funny, even though it explains more about the tickrate, compared to netspeed:
"Netspeed

What is netspeed good for? What does it do? Is Bin Laden dead? Unfortunately, I can only answer the 2 first questions. Well, seriously, the 2 first questions is actually 1 question... Err, anyway.
The netspeed decides how much data you want to send to the server each second. A netspeed of 5000 will try to send 5000 bytes of data each second. And yes, for the smart ones out there that already guessed it, netspeed of 13690 will send 13690 bytes pr second. Also, it tells the server how much data you want to receive each second. The servers seem to not allow going under 2000, clients have a minimum of 500.
Some interesting aspect with the netspeed, is that it limits your framerate. Your maximum expected framerate online with netspeed 5000 is 5000/64 = 78fps. You should not get more, you will often get less. So why /64 you ask? Well, it's kinda simple. Each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data. So the great doods at epic thought, let's do netspeed/64 and limit framerate that way, so the client does not exceed netspeed bytes sent pr second.
For those of you thinking:

OMG, I gotta set netspeed to 20000 immediately

let me just inform you that your hardware probably can't hold an even 20000/64 = 312fps average during an entire match anyway. Another bottleneck here, is your internet connection. If you got a state-of-the-art 9600 modem, it can only send and receive 9600/8 = 1200 bytes/second anyway, and what happens if you exceed that limit, is that data must wait before it can be transmitted to/from you. This causes the wellknown "ping spike". So use netspeed to make sure your connection does not get overloaded and "spiked". If the spikes last too long, you might even get packetloss, since the packets get pissed off waiting in queues and kill themselves.
I found a nice trick myself. I put my netspeed to refreshrate*64 (and then + some for a nicer rounder number). I got 85hz refresh, *64 = 5440, so I set netspeed to 5500. This gives a nice flickerfree experience when I play online. To be bloody honest, I had been experimenting with netspeeds for a while until I found 5500 to be most pleasant. I didn't know about this *64 thing at the time. Weird coincidence or facts, you try yourself.
Now I've said all about netspeed and effects on client to server. Let's take it the other way. What happens if the server wants to tell me too much. It can only tell me 5500 bytes pr second. The solution is quite simple. The server stops telling you stuff it feels is nonimportant. This has been carefully hac... errr balanced by the brainmonsters at Epic to give a great online gaming experience. Most important stuff like other players & bots have priority to be sent first. Then comes less important things, like projectiles & effects. So if the server has too much to tell you, it will put it off until it sees you have enough bandwidth to receive it. Thus, you get the infamous "rockets out of thin air"-syndrome. If it has to wait sending stuff too long, you might not ever receive it. The result of this is you going dead from invisible stuff, this is often referred to as "WTF??!" by the players affected."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to this unrealadmin wiki:
(found in: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT) )
"What effect does it have in UT? Many ppl have seriously interesting views on this that easily can be put in parallel with the quotes from certain presidents in USA.
First of all. Higher tickrate does not improve ping. Very common misconception. What it actually does, is to reduce the time between each time the server handles incoming data, and sends out new data. So let me explain it in more complex terms.
By first explaining what tickrate actually is, I hope to have made you so confused you will believe the rest of the things I write in this document.
Tickrate is actually 'very very complex! It is the "Frames Per Second" the server is running at. Yes, it is so complex. A tickrate of 20 means that the server is doing 20 frames of action per second. To make it even more complex, lets just say, that it processes data 20 times a second. (Player movement, player firing, player deaths, player *****ing, player lagging, and the other more unimportant things 20 times a second). So. 1 Tick = 1 Frame. The server tickrate is the "framerate" at which the server is running on.
Ok, now that you are confused by the tickrate term, lets see how far it is between each tick update. since it says pr second, we will use 1 second, which is 1000 milliseconds. it's Per. so we gotta divide somewhere, let's try the following. 1000ms/20 = 50ms. OK! it might seem like there is 50 milliseconds between each tick. Let's try it the other way. 50ms * 20 = 1000ms. Oh yes, we reversed the equation and got what we started with. That means. A tickrate of 20, gives 50ms between each update on server."

I also found this funny, even though it explains more about the tickrate, compared to netspeed:
"Netspeed

What is netspeed good for? What does it do? Is Bin Laden dead? Unfortunately, I can only answer the 2 first questions. Well, seriously, the 2 first questions is actually 1 question... Err, anyway.
The netspeed decides how much data you want to send to the server each second. A netspeed of 5000 will try to send 5000 bytes of data each second. And yes, for the smart ones out there that already guessed it, netspeed of 13690 will send 13690 bytes pr second. Also, it tells the server how much data you want to receive each second. The servers seem to not allow going under 2000, clients have a minimum of 500.
Some interesting aspect with the netspeed, is that it limits your framerate. Your maximum expected framerate online with netspeed 5000 is 5000/64 = 78fps. You should not get more, you will often get less. So why /64 you ask? Well, it's kinda simple. Each time your computer does an update, it sends about 64 bytes of data. So the great doods at epic thought, let's do netspeed/64 and limit framerate that way, so the client does not exceed netspeed bytes sent pr second.
For those of you thinking:

OMG, I gotta set netspeed to 20000 immediately

let me just inform you that your hardware probably can't hold an even 20000/64 = 312fps average during an entire match anyway. Another bottleneck here, is your internet connection. If you got a state-of-the-art 9600 modem, it can only send and receive 9600/8 = 1200 bytes/second anyway, and what happens if you exceed that limit, is that data must wait before it can be transmitted to/from you. This causes the wellknown "ping spike". So use netspeed to make sure your connection does not get overloaded and "spiked". If the spikes last too long, you might even get packetloss, since the packets get pissed off waiting in queues and kill themselves.
I found a nice trick myself. I put my netspeed to refreshrate*64 (and then + some for a nicer rounder number). I got 85hz refresh, *64 = 5440, so I set netspeed to 5500. This gives a nice flickerfree experience when I play online. To be bloody honest, I had been experimenting with netspeeds for a while until I found 5500 to be most pleasant. I didn't know about this *64 thing at the time. Weird coincidence or facts, you try yourself.
Now I've said all about netspeed and effects on client to server. Let's take it the other way. What happens if the server wants to tell me too much. It can only tell me 5500 bytes pr second. The solution is quite simple. The server stops telling you stuff it feels is nonimportant. This has been carefully hac... errr balanced by the brainmonsters at Epic to give a great online gaming experience. Most important stuff like other players & bots have priority to be sent first. Then comes less important things, like projectiles & effects. So if the server has too much to tell you, it will put it off until it sees you have enough bandwidth to receive it. Thus, you get the infamous "rockets out of thin air"-syndrome. If it has to wait sending stuff too long, you might not ever receive it. The result of this is you going dead from invisible stuff, this is often referred to as "WTF??!" by the players affected."

Hi ,thanks for it ,i knew what is tickrate ,but didin't knew what is netspeed .So i should as you writed make 5500 ,becauce using 10000 or 20000 is the same problem having.

Upvote 0