• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Help! The Halloween update screwed up my map!

DxVentura

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 14, 2013
I really, really need help!
I was working on this map for almost 3 months, and now for some reason, the lights don't work. The last time I was working on the map was right BEFORE Killing Floor was updated, and the lights were working. Now for some reason it isn't working anymore :C
It's kind of a Sewers map, and I added TriggerLights to the map (with bInitiallyOn=True, meaning that the lights didnt need to be "Activated" so they would work, they would automaticaly start to work when we played the map). The only reason I used triggerlights to brighten the map instead of ordinary lights was because I was having a really bad time making ordinary lights flicker, so I used TriggerLights instead. Do TriggerLights with light effects don't work anymore? If so, is there ANY way to make them work again? I could replace all of the TriggerLights with normal lights, but that would take ages, due to the fact that my map has over 300 TriggerLights, and I also can't make ordinary lights have light effects.

Can anybody please help me?

Thank you very much :D

Ventura

Thanks for your reply :) Yea, I see that the code has been changed :C
So, now what do I do? Do I have to replace every single triggerlight with a normal light (which is gonna be pretty hard and is gonna take a lot of time), or is there a way to make the lights work again? Why would Tripwire change the code anyway? :c

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Holy ****, we used trigger lights widely on KFO-Foundry. If those are broken, then the atmosphere of the map we're trying to create is completely lost. I haven't noticed yet, because the code I wrote for this map is broken too, so we can't even open it anymore.

Ouch, hope all ends well. You have dedication so hopefully wont take long at all.

Upvote 0
** EDIT:
Actually no. PlatformIsOpenGL() returns correct value. I tried to extend TriggerLight to revert code changes made in the latest build, but it doesn't help. Seems like the issue is in native code...

Tbh I don't understand why Tripwire tried to disable dynamic lights under OpenGL mode in a first place. Yes, under OpenGL dynamic lights look primitive and unrealistic, but at least they are doing their job: making place lighter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We are looking into Trigger Lights. Changes were made to the OpenGL rendering path to address textures not showing up in many maps. It is intended as a temp fix as we work towards fixing many of the problems in the Open GL rendering path.

I understand why you have turned off trigger lights for OpenGL. But they do not work for Direct3D too!

Upvote 0
Who made the decision to turn OpenGL on anyway's?

We have been playing the game fine for years on DirectX and Software rendering .

Unless it's a change for the Mac players? - Is it a change for the Mac players?

Linux and Mac players have been using OpenGL. Also making OpenGL available in windows was better then the non working software rendering mode. That led to many support issues.

Upvote 0
That is why we are looking into seeing what has happened. They should not have been turned off.

There you go, free fix including better network optimization and an option to set it to be disabled on OpenGL:
Spoiler!
I have a feeling I know network architecture in UE a little better than some in TW.
Feel free to say if I missed something in there.

Upvote 0
There you go, free fix including better network optimization and an option to set it to be disabled on OpenGL:
Spoiler!
I have a feeling I know network architecture in UE a little better than some in TW.

Haha. Burnt. Nice one Marco! - Please fix this ASAP! My maps are going absolutely mental with all the triggerlights (I put sounds on them - Naughty naughty!)

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

This improves network replication, but doesn't solve dynamic lights issue. The real peoblem is that none lights place on the map with bDynamicLight=True are working. Not only trigger lights, but also flickering lights, pulsing etc.

Upvote 0