• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help! KF crashes at startup!

(Have to add this is a copy-paste from Steam, since no one's been responding for hours)

Hello, the game started crashing for me out of nowhere randomly every time I boot it up with the following displayed :

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2598 MHz with 4095MB RAM

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (9729)

Error setting display mode: No acceptable display modes found (D3D_OK). Please delete your KillingFloor.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- FindBestMatchingMode <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 004E004C 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

I was subscribed to 2 workshop mods - Uncensored Stalker and Siren, and a mod from the main composer restoring unused sountrack on one of the maps.

What I've tried so far :

1) Unsub from the mods ;

2) Verifying the files afterwards which resulted in the same, so I ended up deleting the System folder and verification afterwards, which allowed the game to start.

I changed the settings to max just like before, together with a few tweaks regarding the mouse and audio, and I exited the game in order for the changes to apply.

And the game refuses to launch again.

CPU -> Intel Core i5-11400F ;

GPU -> Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 6GBs (reused from old PC) ;

RAM -> Crucial Ballistix DDR4 16GB (2x8) 3200 MHz ;

SSD -> 2 TB Intel 660p, NVMe, M.2 ;

GPU drivers were updated 2-3 days ago, so they should be the newest rn.

Please help!

(Side questions :

1) Is it possible to increase the corpse/limbs limit or make them stay on the ground for longer without breaking the game ? ;

2) Any recommendations regarding better surround sound in the game - I'm using RAZER BlackShark V2 ?)

Had the same issue and ended up here looking for help. Reading your post rang a bell. I updated my gfx card drivers yesterday...
So I just uninstalled the nvidia drivers I installed and was able to run the game again.

I uninstalled every single NVidia related driver using the "Add or remove programs" built in Windows 10, and then cleaned up with CCleaner. I restarted my PC as well, and now I got this upon launch :

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-11 224247.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 224247.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
While we no longer offer any direct support on this, make sure you've run through the items listed in the KB here:

The most likely cause is a corrupt file/folder, or a driver issue related to newer drivers not interacting well with the game.
I'll make sure to take a look, thank you for replying!

Upvote 0