• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design HELP! Downloading Package <map name> failed: Error opening files Duplicate UID

Kasder

Apr 25, 2019
I am trying to host a custom map on my dedicated server.
It "runs" on my server but no one can join as they have the following errors:

Downloading Package 'map name' failed: Error opening files
Duplicate UID

I can run the map on solo by placing it in D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm
I usually placed my map folder in another location instead of this D:\Users\Username\Documents\my games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Unpublished\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm

Here is my steps
After I am done with the map editing I will save file, save levels and save all packages.
I will build all. Paths, lighting etc etc..
I will then cook the map but I don't know if it cooks completely. The console output is something like this: Success - 0 errors 0 warnings execution of commandlet took: 3.0 seconds
I will then host the map by placing it in D:\SteamCMD\kf2server\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm

But I can't join due to the errors above.
I tried clearing cache by searching for whatever package name that comes out in the error above and deleting the file. And I tried re joining the server to no luck.

Does anyone know which step I am missing? Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Map location needs to be In all player's
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps
as well as in the server's Maps folder.

All players must have the exact same version of the map as the server.

Unless you have custom parent materials - you do not need to cook maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can set it up for workshop redirect download. However this means setting the workshop item to public, meaning anyone can download it.

What I do is set the workshop item to friends only, get my friends to download it and I also download the same version. Copy the map from my local cache and paste it in my Server's maps folder. When I update the workshop item, they just need to unsub and resub to force a new download, you will also need to do the same.

Its not as automatic as workshop redirect but allows you to iterate privately. Workshop redirect also can be a bit slow to update on servers so the above method is the most effective for testing.

Upvote 0