HELP! Downloading Package <map name> failed: Error opening files Duplicate UID

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Kasder

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 25, 2019
I am trying to host a custom map on my dedicated server.
It "runs" on my server but no one can join as they have the following errors:

Downloading Package 'map name' failed: Error opening files
Duplicate UID

I can run the map on solo by placing it in D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm
I usually placed my map folder in another location instead of this D:\Users\Username\Documents\my games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Unpublished\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm

Here is my steps
After I am done with the map editing I will save file, save levels and save all packages.
I will build all. Paths, lighting etc etc..
I will then cook the map but I don't know if it cooks completely. The console output is something like this: Success - 0 errors 0 warnings execution of commandlet took: 3.0 seconds
I will then host the map by placing it in D:\SteamCMD\kf2server\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps\kf-mapname\kf-mapname.kfm

But I can't join due to the errors above.
I tried clearing cache by searching for whatever package name that comes out in the error above and deleting the file. And I tried re joining the server to no luck.

Does anyone know which step I am missing? Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Delta69er

Sep 13, 2017
Map location needs to be In all player's
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps
as well as in the server's Maps folder.

All players must have the exact same version of the map as the server.

Unless you have custom parent materials - you do not need to cook maps.

Last edited:

Kasder

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 25, 2019
Is there anyway for them to download the packages/maps directly from the server? Since I'm the server admin, I can make changes to the server files.

Does putting it in the steam workshop help/bypass this problem?

Delta69er

Sep 13, 2017
You can set it up for workshop redirect download. However this means setting the workshop item to public, meaning anyone can download it.

What I do is set the workshop item to friends only, get my friends to download it and I also download the same version. Copy the map from my local cache and paste it in my Server's maps folder. When I update the workshop item, they just need to unsub and resub to force a new download, you will also need to do the same.

Its not as automatic as workshop redirect but allows you to iterate privately. Workshop redirect also can be a bit slow to update on servers so the above method is the most effective for testing.