• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HELLFIRE! Husks-only Mutator

Must be hard to read the first post in a thread ^^.

Who knows

i'm contemplating working on the "Scary" ZED's that were brought up in another thread if i can find a way to replace specific monster classes

I know how to add attacks, change weapons and particles, make custom particles/effects/etc. i just cant get specific replacements to work

it's more or less my next project once this is whitelisted

Upvote 0
A friend and I both have this mutator installed properly, MutHellfireF.int, MutHellfireF.u and MutHellfireF.ucl in the Systems folder, but only the hoster of the listen server can see the husks.

Something I'm doing wrong?

Not sure, it works on my listen and dedi so long as everyone has it, Lemme do some digging

Though, try this, in Killingfloor.ini under engine.gameengine, at the very bottom of that section, add:

ServerPackages=MutHellfireF

(i know this fixes mutators like INeedBodies, adding to first post)

EDIT: the above serverpackages fix DOES COMPLETELY fix the invisible husk issue, but not the failing RG Logic on the fireball, the fireball is currently being moderately reworked so that it will properly ignite targets it passes through, not just targets hit by the blast, this will fix the player immunity gained by holding the high ground

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you not read the post DIRECTLY above yours?

to quote myself:

"2. change the husk fireball damage type"

AKA: Make them damage firebugs, they wont afterburn them, but the firebug will take FULL damage from impacts, and on suicidal thats about 35 damage a hit, +r6 firebugs have to make it past wave 1 (especially solo) with their start weapon being utterly useless against them

Hence, i'm modifying and buffing the husks in the mutator itself to make them a far scarier and more dangerous overall foe, as if 14+ of them wasnt bad enough

Then seriously, what's the point of being a Firebug? Husks are immune to the only weapons they get bonuses on and they avoid hardly any of the real damage. I understand that it's for balancing, but it tips it too far in the OPPOSITE direct, with Firebugs being almost useless...

Upvote 0
Then seriously, what's the point of being a Firebug? Husks are immune to the only weapons they get bonuses on and they avoid hardly any of the real damage. I understand that it's for balancing, but it tips it too far in the OPPOSITE direct, with Firebugs being almost useless...

Having them 100% immune to even suicidal husks is worse than the husk having 90% fire resist (a full clip will kill several on suicidal)

again, it's in the same vein as "Why be a zerker on poundamonium" where the zerker does almost no damage and dies in a matter of 1-2 hits and theres 30+ FP's at times (Espec on suicidal)

So it was either have an immune damage farmer, or a slightly useless nonimmune damage dealer (For the record, a good firebug on this mutator can burn and pull a whole group into a nice area for a demo or support, as he wont die as quick, because he will resist the afterburn, while doing a bit of damage to the whole group at once, it's just pointless to solo as)

Upvote 0
Having them 100% immune to even suicidal husks is worse than the husk having 90% fire resist (a full clip will kill several on suicidal)

again, it's in the same vein as "Why be a zerker on poundamonium" where the zerker does almost no damage and dies in a matter of 1-2 hits and theres 30+ FP's at times (Espec on suicidal)

So it was either have an immune damage farmer, or a slightly useless nonimmune damage dealer (For the record, a good firebug on this mutator can burn and pull a whole group into a nice area for a demo or support, as he wont die as quick, because he will resist the afterburn, while doing a bit of damage to the whole group at once, it's just pointless to solo as)

Better idea: Disable Firebug, period, for the mutator. Solves all the problems.

Upvote 0
Better idea: Disable Firebug, period, for the mutator. Solves all the problems.

then why dont we go ahead and disable firebugs and bersekers on poundamonium, demomen and zerkers on five alarm, and bersekers on mine as well along with medics just because they all have a hard time solo'ing

Think for a second, your logic here is amazingly, hilariously, STUPIDLY flawed, my mutator isnt the only one with this problem - just the only community one thats ever been made, it has entirely different standards and expectations to be whitelistable

Upvote 0
i dont see what's so idiotic about disabling the firebug. it's a dumb perk and you need a sure fire way to make sure they don't ruin this mutator.

Did you just read the last 3 posts and post?

The damage type on these "Hellfire" husks is Custom, it damages everyone (except those with blanket resists) EQUALLY, and partially ignores armor (by 25%-ish) Firebugs take damage like anyone else - they just dont get afterburned

the PROBLEM right now is that direct hits from them, like the normal husk, do no damage, this is being changed by (Currently) Switching the fireball to use railgun (Crossbow) Logic with it's changed damage type and an "Ignition" that lights you on fire (that does Burn damage) on the actual trail

This means in v4 Whitelist:

1. They can damage several people in a line without having to have the projectile explode

2. they can no longer be jesus-spotted against using high ground

3. they will still do the normal ground/wall impact (it's LawProj with Xbow logic stuck in) causing area damage

4. they will do 1-3 above while also being slightly faster, tougher, harder to decap

5. Firebugs get a reprieve of sorts, the switches will be Vice-Versa'd, husks will be reduced to 45-65% fire resist (from 90-95%) but be immune to the ignite from the flamer, so firebugs WILL do "Good" damage (Low damage, yes, but with no target cap, long range, and rail logic, it's suprisingly effective and aimed at a group - you need one)

Trust me, i've been way the everliving heck ahead of everyone in terms of balancing this since i started on it

Again, this mutator isnt really aimed purely at solo players, it's aimed at a balanced group, an "instance" of sorts, you need a good balance of players to win it (even with V3 where they cant damage you on direct hits that dont cause a splash) due to the overwhelming firepower of them (ha, ha) i just need to finish balancing out the range aspect of it to stop potential jesus-spot antics before they begin

(For the record, i've got 113 3+ person games with level 6 perks logged on this mutator since i started working on it at varying difficulties from beginner through suicidal)

Upvote 0
Not sure, it works on my listen and dedi so long as everyone has it, Lemme do some digging

Though, try this, in Killingfloor.ini under engine.gameengine, at the very bottom of that section, add:

ServerPackages=MutHellfireF

(i know this fixes mutators like INeedBodies, adding to first post)

EDIT: the above serverpackages fix DOES COMPLETELY fix the invisible husk issue, but not the failing RG Logic on the fireball, the fireball is currently being moderately reworked so that it will properly ignite targets it passes through, not just targets hit by the blast, this will fix the player immunity gained by holding the high ground

we have this on our dedicated server, and when we try it out, nobody can see the husks, we all have the mutator insttalled, and the serverpackages line added to the killingfloor.ini, i can see the husks when i solo, but not on the ded server.
do we have to add that line to the killingfloor.ini on the server?

Upvote 0
we have this on our dedicated server, and when we try it out, nobody can see the husks, we all have the mutator insttalled, and the serverpackages line added to the killingfloor.ini, i can see the husks when i solo, but not on the ded server.
do we have to add that line to the killingfloor.ini on the server?

Yes, Everyone and the server has to have it added to Serverpackages

Otherwise, the dedicated will only load the spawns, but not the controller for the graphics themselves, so everything will be invisible

Upvote 0
still doesnt work.
all the ini's have the lines added, all have the mutator files.

Is it loading in the dedicated window?

you should see it load Serverpackages MutHellfireF

If that's not happening, you've got a problem somewhere with an errant letter, space, or mis-placed file, works just fine on both my crappy listen server and my dedicated, no invisible spawns

Upvote 0
not using a dedicated server that is right next to me, it's in new york, using gameservers.com servers.

all the files are in the system folder, the killingfloor.ini has the ServerPackages=MutHellfireF added in the engine.gameengine list.

i enable the mutator in the webadmin, restart the map, join, and then die from invisible husks.
i can run it fine using solo mode, but that doesnt help with the server any.

want me to post the killingfloor.ini and screenshot of the system folder?

or should we all wait until this is included in the next patch(es)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0