• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

helicopters' collective- only moving up to maximum or down to minimum- no fine tuning/holding at levels in between

theSelf

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 16, 2021
Hi all,

Only just got Rising Storm 2 Vietnam- I've spent ages using the third party joytokey application to bind the helicopter controls to my joystick (which works great if anyone prefers to use a joystick or xbox controller- wish the game came with hotas compatibility stock tbh though) but either way whether flying by keyboard /mouse or a controller it seems the collective is either set to continually going up till it's maxed out or continually going down till it's at a minimum- I was expecting and hoping you could pull collective up and when you stop, the collective stays at that last position and not continue going up to the maximum or down to the minimum..is there any way around this so I can fine tune and manage the collective like real helicopters (or real airplane throttles for that matter) so that once you stop pulling up or down collective (default keys 'shift' and 'ctrl' keys respectively on the keyboard) and stop pressing those keys, the collective stays at the last remaining level and not continue going up or down which otherwise makes it harder to control?

The advanced flight mode is enabled yet still I have to hold the key for up collective to keep it going up (if I don't hold the key the collective doesn't stay in the position/ level it was at when you stop using the up collective key..it instead when no longer pressing up collective key automatically drops down to minimum/ no collective and so the down collective key (left ctrl) seems pointless as the collective goes down to the minimum/ lowest position any time you're not pressing the up collective (left shift) key anyway.. are we not able to make the level of collective stop in any position we want (eg. 10%, 30%, 70% e.t.c) as for me it's either only continually moving up to 100% (so long as the up collective key is pressed) or otherwise as soon as the up collective key is no longer pressed (regardless of whether the down collective key is pressed or not) it's continually moving down to 0%, without the option to fix it at a given 'percentage'? I was expecting the moment you release the up collective key the collective would stop in its last position it was in immediately before releasing and the same with the down collective key..

Also even at minimum lowered collective it takes a long time to descend - is there any option to make the descent realistically faster when the collective is at the minimum/ lowered?

FYI- I'm a real world heli pilot, playing this for fun and not expecting realistic flight characteristics but was hoping that the collective would act the way I describe at least...

Thanks for any feedback

Reactions: Arcames
Hmmm, advanced flight model is exactly as you describe with the collective staying put on whatever percentage you leave it at. Unfortunately I don't what is causing it to not work for you.

As for landing, I'm only a decent (in game) pilot but for landing the huey I always fly around 50% collective, go in for a landing fast and low keeping my collective at 50 while doing a sharp 180 degree turn to bleed off speed, level out and come close to a hover at around 5-10m off the ground, then lower my collective to 0 to gently touch down. If you want to be fancy you can hover 1-2m off the ground and your passengers can still get out, helpful if the LZ isn't flat and to get out of a hot LZ quicker.

Reactions: theSelf
Upvote 0
Hmmm, advanced flight model is exactly as you describe with the collective staying put on whatever percentage you leave it at. Unfortunately I don't what is causing it to not work for you.

As for landing, I'm only a decent (in game) pilot but for landing the huey I always fly around 50% collective, go in for a landing fast and low keeping my collective at 50 while doing a sharp 180 degree turn to bleed off speed, level out and come close to a hover at around 5-10m off the ground, then lower my collective to 0 to gently touch down. If you want to be fancy you can hover 1-2m off the ground and your passengers can still get out, helpful if the LZ isn't flat and to get out of a hot LZ quicker.
thanks for your reply and tips.. do you think uninstalling and reinstalling the game will fix the collective issue I have (which sounds like it isn't normal for the game) or any other settings need changing or specific game files edited? Very strange it's doing that for me only when it's not normal for the game otherwise..

Upvote 0