• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Helicopter Gunship

Now that the Devs have re-added the flying vehicle code, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing this in-game:

282_2-1.jpg

The FI 282 Kolibri (Hummingbird) was an unarmed reconnaisance helicopter used by the Germans. I was thinking it might be interesting to see what would happen if one was to arm it. :)

Armament:
  • Two MG34's attached on pylons, with ammo being drawn from a central storage unit amidships. The MG's would have fixed, reinforced barrels to withstand sustained fire.
  • Eight R4M rockets (same type as used on the ME-262) mounted on stub wings. Rockets would be tipped with HE - effective against infantry but minimally effective against tanks.
Usage:
  • Scroll wheel would function similar to a tank turret:
    * Loose position, where you can look around at the world
    * Targeting position, where you're looking through the gunsight.
  • Primary fire triggers MG's.
  • Secondary fire launches rockets.
  • Altitude controls could be tied to either Lean Left/Right buttons or crouch buttons.
Maps:
  • Obviously, this is not the kind of vehicle you'd want on a Kaukasus or a Basovka. A helicopter needs space to breathe. It would be right at home on maps such as Barashka and Arad.
  • Custom maps could be designed with this vehicle clearly in mind.
The main problem is, of course, that the Russians didn't historically have anything to counter this. However, the helicopter is completey unarmored and unable to withstand much in the way of heavy fire (hell, the fuel tanks were mounted right underneath the pilot's ass....). A well-placed PTRD shot would bring it down.

Some wartime photos of it in action:

helo2029.jpg

In service with the German Navy:
helo2033.jpg

Flightline:
helo2030.jpg

Hehe, interesting way to carry passengers:
helo1775.jpg

An RC version (pretty cool!):
P1010018.jpg

Animate it?

1) Create an animation for each "status" of the blades and rudder:
  • Blades Motionless
  • Blades Starting Up
  • Blades Full rotation (looping animation)
  • Blades Spinning down
  • Rudder left
  • Rudder right
2) Animation Triggers:
  • If there is no one in the cockpit, blades will be motionless.
  • When someone climbs in, trigger "Starting Up" sound and animation.
  • After "Starting Up" finishes, loop "Full rotation" animation indefinitely.
  • On the exit of the pilot, play "Spinning down" animation.
Note: Animations A, B, and D I've already done for my UT2004 Fireblade vehicle. On the FB, when you climb in, it retracts the landing gear. When you jump out, the gear comes back down.

As far as "no flying vehicles" - like I said, this is not for every map. However, imagine something on the scale of RO-Kalinin (the huge tank-only mod map) with this.

Now, if somebody would just come up with fixed MG emplacements to put up some AAA, we'd be in business. :D

Upvote 0
Dest said:
[/list]You can rotate the blades entirely with code. Only stearing should be animated with 1 frame animation.

Yeap, I'm aware of that, but I need to get my coding back up to speed before I do that. An animation would just be a pretty quick method of doing it, though coding it would work nicely as well, since you can adjust the speed of the rotation per engine output.

I worked with a coder on the Apache helicopter which was released for UT2004 as a beta. It actually featured realistic helicopter controls, with collective and rotor tilt. It wasn't very popular, unfortunately, since it was a very different animal than the controls for the Raptor and other UT2004 flying vehicles.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Yeap, I'm aware of that, but I need to get my coding back up to speed before I do that. An animation would just be a pretty quick method of doing it, though coding it would work nicely as well, since you can adjust the speed of the rotation per engine output.

I worked with a coder on the Apache helicopter which was released for UT2004 as a beta. It actually featured realistic helicopter controls, with collective and rotor tilt. It wasn't very popular, unfortunately, since it was a very different animal than the controls for the Raptor and other UT2004 flying vehicles.

RO is a realistic FPS, so I think you should implement the proper controls as you did the that Apache to keep it realistic, and so it isn't abused. (Uggghh.. sappers and pionieren zipping around, landing, drop satchel, take off, next tank....)

Upvote 0
Capt.Marion said:
RO is a realistic FPS, so I think you should implement the proper controls as you did the that Apache to keep it realistic, and so it isn't abused. (Uggghh.. sappers and pionieren zipping around, landing, drop satchel, take off, next tank....)

Waiiiiiitttt a second..

If you are a drop-satcheler.. you don't need to land! that'd take to much time ;)

Upvote 0