• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hear me rant!

Nope. I've put shadows on low, AA off, AO off and it's made practically on diffence at all in my fps. That may work for gpu/cpu combinations that aren't gimped by whatever in the code is causing the poor performance on machines that should run the game well, but for people like the OP and me, it does NOTHING. Nor does cutting the sound quality to low and the channels to 16. And THAT, in and of itself, should tell you that the problem lies in the code/game, and NOT in the settings selected by the player. Then again, some folks don't just want to admit to plain facts and common sense when they have an agenda to protect.

First, let me appologize, because I am about to be nasty and mean; AND im going to damn well enjoy it!

In a few minutes of research of the CPU listed in your signature it would seem that you bought a clunker. I really hope you dident pay too much for it or got it quite a while ago. Let me elaborate, your i5 650 has similar performance to my nearly five year old Q6600, and thats before I throttle the Q6600 up over 1GHZ per core with an OC. Which blasts my performance up another 25%. Ergo, my five year old CPU has 25% more processing performance than your nicely branded "i series" turd. ( in the synthetic tests I found for your cpu that I have also run personally).

Not to mention its a dual core with hyperthreading. And you have physics being run on the CPU because its an AMD Card isntead of a Nvidia card. In case you dont know, and Im damned sure you dont, Hyperthreading offers a performance hit on a single thread(~20%), but then gives you a second thread per core. Threads in this game like the main thread and the draw call thread need the maximum amount of power possible. So your CPU is a double bottleneck inside a turd.
Son, thats a bad combo multiplier to have, the Unreal tournament guy would say Combo whore right now but even he is choking on the shyte that is your excuse for a gaming cpu.

Then there's your video card
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5
Which is less powerfull than a 4870, which is already an ancient piece of tech. Never mind how it gets pommeled when compared to the 4870x2 2Gig model that I have.

And after that shocking wake-up to the turd festered machine you have, you want to come play a brand new video game on highest settings because your computer is "good" (Im sure that's what they told you at future-shyte) and they should just optimize it to make it work.

The generation of console based video games has certainly spoiled a lot of gamers out there into just assuming that level of optimization and visual trickery is easy & available on a lower budget game( read less then $10,000,000). ( Gta 4's dev cost was over 100,000,000).

I play on all medium settings and I dont gripe about it, and I get 60 fps average with dips to 40 and jumps to 100.

caveat one: Game performance *WILL* jump for everyone not running a very powerfull CPU when the sound is no longer cpu based.

Caveat two: I've had the performance fixes fubar with my performance as well, so there are some oddities there. But even if without those you should not expect to run on anything above medium.

do yourself a favour:

i5 2500K ~220$
AMD 6850 130$ ( CF if you can )

Last edited:
Reactions: Icey_Pain
Upvote 0
First, let me appologize, because I am about to be nasty and mean; AND im going to damn well enjoy it!

In a few minutes of research of the CPU listed in your signature it would seem that you bought a clunker. I really hope you dident pay too much for it or got it quite a while ago. Let me elaborate, your i5 650 has similar performance to my nearly five year old Q6600, and thats before I throttle the Q6600 up over 1GHZ per core with an OC. Which blasts my performance up another 25%. Ergo, my five year old CPU has 25% more processing performance than your nicely branded "i series" turd. ( in the synthetic tests I found for your cpu that I have also run personally).

Not to mention its a dual core with hyperthreading. And you have physics being run on the CPU because its an AMD Card isntead of a Nvidia card. In case you dont know, and Im damned sure you dont, Hyperthreading offers a performance hit on a single thread(~20%), but then gives you a second thread per core. Threads in this game like the main thread and the draw call thread need the maximum amount of power possible. So your CPU is a double bottleneck inside a turd.
Son, thats a bad combo multiplier to have, the Unreal tournament guy would say Combo whore right now but even he is choking on the shyte that is your excuse for a gaming cpu.

[URL]http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5[/URL]
Which is less powerfull than a 4870, which is already an ancient piece of tech. Never mind how it gets pommeled when compared to the 4870x2 2Gig model that I have.

And after that shocking wake-up to the turd festered machine you have, you want to come play a brand new video game on highest settings because your computer is "good" (Im sure that's what they told you at future-shyte) and they should just optimize it to make it work.

The generation of console based video games has certainly spoiled a lot of gamers out there into just assuming that level of optimization and visual trickery is easy & available on a lower budget game( read less then $10,000,000). ( Gta 4's dev cost was over 100,000,000).

I play on all medium settings and I dont gripe about it, and I get 60 fps average with dips to 40 and jumps to 100.

caveat one: Game performance *WILL* jump for everyone not running a very powerfull CPU when the sound is no longer cpu based.

Caveat two: I've had the performance fixes fubar with my performance as well, so there are some oddities there. But even if without those you should not expect to run on anything above medium.

do yourself a favour:

i5 2500K ~220$

Don't believe everything you read, my friend. This machine runs everything I've thrown at it on high-ultra settings, except for this game. Every total war game. Civ V. MW2. Black Ops. Bad Company 2. The entire Dawn of War series. Clunker my eye. You seem to be part of the "it's not our game, it your computers" crowd.

The funniest part of it is, it actually ran GREAT after the last big performance patch prior to the October 7th patch. I got a STEADY 40-50 fps, and often in the 60's, with settings mostly high-ultra. Then the October 7th patch killed it.

So, I hate to be mean, too, but nice try, fanboi. Keep on truckin'.

P.S. The damned game only uses 40% of most cpu's power, anyway ... why won't you just admit that the game is poorly optimized?

PPS. Learn to read. I've posted repeatedly that low, high or ultra settings make practically no dif in performance. I never said I expected to run the highest settings. I'd be happy with consistent perf at medium settings, but I SHOULD get great perf in high settings based on TWI's OWN published, recommended specs! Why, oh why, do you guys keep making crap up that the posters you respond to NEVER SAID?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're kidding right? The game is the 'culprit', stop being stupid.

I was more reffering to the specific aspect of the game in relation to your hardware that's causing the issue. So if you'd feel less attacked you would not only be able to refrain from calling me stupid, but it also makes sure that your sentences don't become mere irony.

Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5

do yourself a favour:

i5 2500K ~220$

Your confusing some people with the details because they think the issue is/should be black and white when it really isn't. What they want to hear is:

Other game run good on my computer (grunt), this game optimization suck. Bad.

:D

Upvote 0
The thing that are confusing people is that for most games it's only the graphic card that matter. There is usually only a 1-3 fps difference between a almost 5 year old processor and a new one. Been a few exceptions where it often were the cpu that was the bottleneck like Halflife 2 (at least when it was new), Arma2 and GTA4 but they weren't as extreme as RO2 which pretty much require a current generation high end cpu just to run smoothly.

Graphics are very subjective and there are games out there that run way smoother than RO2. That they might not have as good graphics from a direct technical standpoint doesn't really matter, does it.

RO2 IS badly optimized and it's the number if draw calls that is the main cause. To say "No, it's not badly optimized, you just don't have a fast enough computer." is only valid to a certain extent.

Reactions: CuriousOrange
Upvote 0
So I "upgraded" my PC with a Sapphire HD6950 Dualfan card (my old card was a Palit GTS450).

Let's just say my GTS ran Witcher 2 on lowest details with 25-30 fps, I plugged my 6950 and got 40-50 FPS on ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA (Athlon II x4 640 3.0 CPU bottleneck, it should run even faster when I overclock it a bit).

Here's the rant part. RO2 runs like **** on the HD6950, you saying I can't run the game on ultra with this card? Just please don't give me that bull****.. Sound spikes and lag are just making it even worse. I'm a university student. I work part time and have just a small amount of time for actually playing games. I buy a great GPU to be able to enjoy that playtime but I can't, cause this engine fails so hard and after all my patience and awaiting patches and fixes, nothing is happening. And don't get me wrong. I'm here on forums since the game came out, patiently awaiting fixes and patches, convincing myself that things got better with patches which already came out (let's face it, they did not).

Suffice it to say, I'm giving RO2 a massive pause, which is sad, cause I really enjoy some of the people here on forums, and like the community in general.

Keep that negative rep coming...

Play something else until Skyrim comes out, there are plenty of awesome games out there.

Upvote 0

Bloody heck, I was writing a response to that and firefox decided to crash. Not going to bother re writing it entirely.

Have you tried disabling Hyperthreading?
Also get GPU-Z and monitor your GPU usage while playing HOS.

Lastly from a tech side and as used as a dead horse to be beaten by the devs. This game is still running DX9, so the draw calls are all single threaded, and the way they have everything jerry rigged now cant push data to the GPU fast enough.

I get many of the same problems ( cpu @ 60%, gpu's in crossfire sittin @ 30% usage in AFR Rendering)

I never said the game was well optimized, and I doubt I qualify as a TWI fanboi since I have been very critical and harsh on their decisions over the last two months..

edit: Also, your right, I should'nt have snapped at you in particular. I've just seen far too many people coming on these forums with antiquated hardware whining that they cant run everything in ultra...

Last edited:
Upvote 0