• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hear me rant!

skewp

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
Croatia
So I "upgraded" my PC with a Sapphire HD6950 Dualfan card (my old card was a Palit GTS450).

Let's just say my GTS ran Witcher 2 on lowest details with 25-30 fps, I plugged my 6950 and got 40-50 FPS on ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA (Athlon II x4 640 3.0 CPU bottleneck, it should run even faster when I overclock it a bit).

Here's the rant part. RO2 runs like **** on the HD6950, you saying I can't run the game on ultra with this card? Just please don't give me that bull****.. Sound spikes and lag are just making it even worse. I'm a university student. I work part time and have just a small amount of time for actually playing games. I buy a great GPU to be able to enjoy that playtime but I can't, cause this engine fails so hard and after all my patience and awaiting patches and fixes, nothing is happening. And don't get me wrong. I'm here on forums since the game came out, patiently awaiting fixes and patches, convincing myself that things got better with patches which already came out (let's face it, they did not).

Suffice it to say, I'm giving RO2 a massive pause, which is sad, cause I really enjoy some of the people here on forums, and like the community in general.

Keep that negative rep coming...

Last edited:
It has been said many times that RO2 is more heavy on the CPU than on the GPU. What CPU have you got?

I know everything that has been said, and I wrote my CPU in my post. Try to actually read it before replying. That still doesn't explain why the game ran better with my crap low-mid end gpu and it runs like **** on my med-high end card. On the same CPU.

Upvote 0
I know everything that has been said, and I wrote my CPU in my post. Try to actually read it before replying. That still doesn't explain why the game ran better with my crap low-mid end gpu and it runs like **** on my med-high end card. On the same CPU.

I can think of a few things you probably haven't done that may help, but with that attitude, I'll just wish you a crappy break :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That still doesn't explain why the game ran better with my crap low-mid end gpu and it runs like **** on my med-high end card. On the same CPU.

Your new uber-powerful GPU is choking your crappy CPU, which could have been able to cope with an equally crappy GPU.

Other than that- it has already been proven countless times that AMD GPUs tend to have way more problems with this game than Nvidia.
If you had bought this card specifically to play RO2, then blame yourself for not doing enough research beforehand.

Reactions: Moyako and Xienen
Upvote 0
Oh and by the way a 6950 really isn't as fast as you think it is.
It's fast enough to run any game on the market maxed, Witcher 2 with ubersampling maybe the exception. Definitely fast enough to run RO2, or so you would think.
CPU was the weakest link before, it's the weakest link now. If you upgrade your CPU you will see a noticeable increase, that and y ou can wait for patches because the game still has a lot of optimization coming (I hope and think anyway).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's fast enough to run any game on the market maxed, Witcher 2 with ubersampling maybe the exception. Definitely fast enough to run RO2, or so you would think.

Perhaps it is, the game is not optimised to the fullest but they are working on it and it will take some time to fix.

As for your claims that you can run things on the fullest, what games are you comparing RO2 with? I certainly know of no game that manages to have such aesthetics.

Battlefield 3 for example, loads of shaders loads of destruction, and yet the buildings are barely if at all furniturised. And yet I'd try and see you run that on the max @ 1920x1200 once the full game comes out.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it is, the game is not optimised to the fullest but they are working on it and it will take some time to fix.

As for your claims that you can run things on the fullest, what games are you comparing RO2 with? I certainly know of no game that manages to have such aesthetics.

Battlefield 3 for example, loads of shaders loads of destruction, and yet the buildings are barely if at all furniturised. And yet I'd try and see you run that on the max @ 1920x1200 once the full game comes out.
On the beta ultra but not quite ultra settings I had constant 60FPS in windowed mode, I doubt the actual ultra will suddenly not let me run the game in full screen. Not that I will play it in the first place, what a boring piece of ****.

And what are you talking about anyway? Have you even looked at benchmarks or are you making stuff up as you go?
HD6900-78.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I "upgraded" my PC with a Sapphire HD6950 Dualfan card (my old card was a Palit GTS450).

Let's just say my GTS ran Witcher 2 on lowest details with 25-30 fps, I plugged my 6950 and got 40-50 FPS on ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA (Athlon II x4 640 3.0 CPU bottleneck, it should run even faster when I overclock it a bit).

Here's the rant part. RO2 runs like **** on the HD6950, you saying I can't run the game on ultra with this card? Just please don't give me that bull****.. Sound spikes and lag are just making it even worse. I'm a university student. I work part time and have just a small amount of time for actually playing games. I buy a great GPU to be able to enjoy that playtime but I can't, cause this engine fails so hard and after all my patience and awaiting patches and fixes, nothing is happening. And don't get me wrong. I'm here on forums since the game came out, patiently awaiting fixes and patches, convincing myself that things got better with patches which already came out (let's face it, they did not).

Suffice it to say, I'm giving RO2 a massive pause, which is sad, cause I really enjoy some of the people here on forums, and like the community in general.

Keep that negative rep coming...
Take a look at my specs (sig) and tell me how I feel when I run the game on almost all utra and few high check marks,get to see up to 100FPS and then after 10-15 min gameplay FPS drop to low 30 ish with lag and microstutter.....I wish they implemented DX11 we would of seen much more usage on our GPU's.

It has been said many times that RO2 is more heavy on the CPU than on the GPU. What CPU have you got?
CPU intensive? not for today standars my CPU is being used somewhere around 40-45%.
this has been discussed so many times dude,not all UE3 games lack in hardware usage like RO2,but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
Take a look at my specs (sig) and tell me how I feel when I run the game on almost all utra and few high check marks,get to see up to 100FPS and then after 10-15 min gameplay FPS drop to low 30 ish with lag and microstutter.....I wish they implemented DX11 we would of seen much more usage on our GPU's.

Sure your CPU doesn't throttle?

Upvote 0

CPU intensive? not for today standars my CPU is being used somewhere around 40-45%.
this has been discussed so many times dude,not all UE3 games lack in hardware usage like RO2,but it is what it is.

50% out of 6 cores is pretty good for an UE 3 game to be honest :p
The rendering thread of the engine isn't multi-threaded, that's partly why fps is low.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On the beta ultra but not quite ultra settings I had constant 60FPS in windowed mode, I doubt the actual ultra will suddenly not let me run the game in full screen. Not that I will play it in the first place, what a boring piece of ****.

And what are you talking about anyway? Have you even looked at benchmarks or are you making stuff up as you go?

Oh I've read the benchmarks, but unlike you I don't really bother with benchmarks that do not directly relate to actual ingame performance of the game I'm comparing it with. That Unigine engine really isn't used for anything other than benchmarking, and perhaps some unpopular games that nobody will ever play.

That's why I'd be more inclined to use a picture like this one:
HD6900-74.jpg

Same website, same topic and this is from a shooter that came out more than a year ago, and the graph is not even with graphics on the maximum. Red Orchestra 2 is a september 2011 game.

So I ask you, have you looked at the benchmarks? 37 FPS with drops to 23 FPS aren't exactly what I call fluent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh I've read the benchmarks, but unlike you I don't really bother with benchmarks that do not directly relate to actual ingame performance of the game I'm comparing it with. That Unigine engine really isn't used for anything other than benchmarking, and perhaps some unpopular games that nobody will ever play.

That's why I'd be more inclined to use a picture like this one:

Same website, same topic and this is from a shooter that came out more than a year ago, and the graph is not even with graphics on the maximum. Red Orchestra 2 is a september 2011 game.

So I ask you, have you looked at the benchmarks? 37 FPS with drops to 23 FPS aren't exactly what I call fluent.
Nor is 45 with dips to 27, it seems the GTX 580 isn't a very good card either. If only AMD or nVidia could get off their lazy arses and make a good card for once! You are clueless, kind sir. The fact that you even go to "Metro 2033 is old, RO2 is a 2011 game" speaks for itself.

Though of course, RO2 should be the most hardware intensive game on the market. No current gen graphics card should be able to handle all those bricks, eh? The fact that it's unoptimized as balls for (some) high end cards and runs on Dx9 has nothing to do with it. The card is the problem, not good enough for a game with "such aesthetics" as RO2.

Upvote 0
Nor is 45 with dips to 27, it seems the GTX 580 isn't a very good card either. If only AMD or nVidia could get off their lazy arses and make a good card for once! You are clueless, kind sir. The fact that you even go to "Metro 2033 is old, RO2 is a 2011 game" speaks for itself.

Though of course, RO2 should be the most hardware intensive game on the market. No current gen graphics card should be able to handle all those bricks, eh? The fact that it's unoptimized as balls for (some) high end cards and runs on Dx9 has nothing to do with it. The card is the problem, not good enough for a game with "such aesthetics" as RO2.

I'm sorry that only because I differ in opinion from yours, you'd rather label me as clueless than come up with actual arguments from an objective perspective instead of the personal attacks from a sarcastic one.

I've already admitted that I believe that the game is partially to blame. While you meant this as a sarcastic remark, I think it holds true.

If only AMD or nVidia could get off their lazy arses and make a good card for once!
Actually this is a lot less weird as you think, the actual speed gains in performance the last few years has been disappointing to say the least. Videocards could have been much faster, but there really hasn't been much motivation for rapid development.

And while Directx 9 is obviously an issue, they are already looking into DirectX11 support, so no reason to rant about that. I don't see why you compare the 580(which is faster than the 6950) and 6950 to the actual highend line of videocards such as the 590 and the 6990. Dual-gpu is exactly what is dedicated to running every bit of graphical detail on the very highest.

Though with a little bit of tweaking, you can already enjoy graphics that nearly equal those that are maxed out for much less of a performance hit.
This means that it's not too hard to straighten the performance issues out until the actual implementation of performance improvements occur.

Now feel free to rant on, but that really won't get you anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your new uber-powerful GPU is choking your crappy CPU, which could have been able to cope with an equally crappy GPU.

Other than that- it has already been proven countless times that AMD GPUs tend to have way more problems with this game than Nvidia.
If you had bought this card specifically to play RO2, then blame yourself for not doing enough research beforehand.

I did not buy it to play RO2 specifically. I bought it cause it slaughters every other game, except this game, apparently. Then again, nothing runs this game with acceptable performance unless you tune your graphics down. Still, the sound stuttering and general sound problems make the game stuttery and far from enjoyable. I can of course reach 40 50 fps on ultra with this card. But it STUTTERS so hard it's like I'm playing on 10-15 fps all the time.

1. Turn shadows from ultra to high, there's no noticable difference and can give you upto 30+ extra FPS.

2. Lower the amount of Anti Aliasing from ultra to medium, the performance gap is just too big.

3. Turn off ambient occlusion, one thread frame lag.

Oh and by the way a 6950 really isn't as fast as you think it is.

yea its an utter piece of crap card, thx for letting me know.:rolleyes:

I can think of a few things you probably haven't done that may help, but with that attitude, I'll just wish you a crappy break :rolleyes:

Why even bother posting?

Reactions: Hirmuinen and Goten
Upvote 0