• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HDTV Antennas

Yeah, looking at the options since cable is so expensive and I probably only watch 10 or less of the channels anyway 95% of the time. I would get the major networks and some live news to supplement Netflix and Hulu as I stated, plus they would be available if the internet goes out. For the most part its free after you buy the antenna and install it.

Where I am in northwest NJ, I'm well within range of the major stations out of NY (~ 40 miles) and possibly Philadelphia, although at this point, the HD quality would be in question. Not really looking for a budget antenna since a month or two of saved cable bills will buy a decent long range antenna. TV has no built in antenna and there is only a few 'local' channels within 20 or so miles.

Also, looking at either mounting the antenna in the attic or on the roof. I'm sure the roof is slightly better for reception, but wonder about weather/wind issues.

Upvote 0
I had a digital antenna connected to my plasma a few years back. Worked just great for local stations. It was a real cheap HD rabit ear style antenna (cant remember the brand) and I just set it on the window sill of my living room window. Didn't have any issues and I was about 10 miles fom the towers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I live in rural usa. Closest tower about 110 miles away. Using a directional HD antennae I could reliably pick up stations as far as 150 miles away. This was when HD just went live and was in its infancy (and prior to us going to satellite.) The antennae wasn't anything like what you see today.

If it were me, I'd pick up a cheap $20-$30 dollar one and see if it didn't meet my needs. I can almost guarantee you that it will pick up your local channels with no trouble. (Unless you live in the basement and are surrounded by large pine trees.)

Upvote 0