• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design HDR Lighting question for mappers

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
I haven't seen UT3, or played any UE3 based games, so I don't know if this has already been implemented before.

This has to do with the differences lighting an indoor area compared to an outdoor sunlit area.

Can you realistically light a scene where there are no internal lights inside a house, or very very low levels of light. In this case the avatar's "eyes" adjust to the darker situation like our eyes really would.

Or do you still need to equalize the lighting artificially with the outdoor area? In which case somebody outside can easily see a well lit opponent inside through a window, when in real life, this wouldn't be the case.

Basically an HDR question.

The eye adjusting to light intensity isn't really HDR. HDR basically allows more precise values for light intensity. 0 being black and 1 being pure white. Without HDR some very bright surfaces would be clipped to 1 and very dark surfaces to 0. With HDR you can have even darker/brighter surfaces and still being able to see the details of it, by allowing lighting values beyond 0 and 1.
That's my impression on HDR, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The thing you're talking about is tonemapping. And RO:Ost has it, or some form of it.

Upvote 0
The eye adjusting to light intensity isn't really HDR. HDR basically allows more precise values for light intensity. 0 being black and 1 being pure white. Without HDR some very bright surfaces would be clipped to 1 and very dark surfaces to 0. With HDR you can have even darker/brighter surfaces and still being able to see the details of it, by allowing lighting values beyond 0 and 1.

The thing you're talking about is tonemapping. And RO:Ost has it, or some form of it.

So ROOST has dynamic tone-mapping? Can I have some examples?

Upvote 0

i'm curious where you're getting these terms from. in order to associate a word to a concept, you must have read something that gave you that idea.

i searched tone mapping and apparently it's more of an aesthetic consideration that pertains mainly to still images. the thing the op is talking about is dynamically changing light intensity that simulates how the eye adjusts to light. such as what you experience when you move from a dark environment to a bright one.

Upvote 0
Well basicly HDR is brightness and lightning range which cant be presented in any monitor at all.

So basicly with camera i take 3 shots on 1 target.
1 is very dark
2 is normal
3 is bright

those differences i make by limiting how much lightning i let to camera cell have.

And thats is a one hdr image.

Then i make a one photo from those 3 three by useing those 3 different lightning. The result isnt anymore a HDR as it got just normal range of
lighning, but its based on HDR tecnic.

How that all work ingame i dont know. Maybe it doesnt got anything to
do with HDR at all, but because result looks same its called HDR.

HDR photos
http://images.google.fi/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fi:eek:fficial&channel=s&hl=fi&source=hp&q=hdr%20photo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Upvote 0