• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Having trouble with a few aspects of my map

Dragonought

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 12, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm new to map making although I've had some minor experience in maya, mudbox, and unity3d. I have read up on some tutorials including the mapping guide yet I still seem to be running into some issues. First off whenever I open my map in SDK, I get a missing resources list that say the following resources were not found when loading the map and that they were set to NULL, yet I still see them when I'm looking around in my play test. My second and third issue seem to be with specimen spawning and trading rooms. I can't seem for the life of me to get them to work even with the tutorials help. I make a small room I want as my spawn room, add a blocking volume for the players that is the same dimensions as the room, then add a zombie volume again with the same dimensions as the room. Still nothing happens when I play test or even when I set zombiedebug to true which apparently I should see 6 green shapes if the spawn worked. I am attaching my map below it is still missing some static meshes in certain rooms and the zombiespawn/trader rooms if someone could take a look at it and tell me what's wrong it would be greatly appreciated. Any advice and tips are also appreciated!

http://www.mediafire.com/?5mcp653aa7carhx

To make zombies spawn your ZombieVolume must be at least 256x256x256, it doesn't matter if the ZombieVolume is bigger than the room, if zombies have enough space to spawn they will spawn.

Edti:Well I noticed that smaller sizes works, I had problems in the past with ZombieVolumes too, because I used the Vertex Editing tool or making copy/paste or duplicate the volmes. Just take the brush in place and create the volume. You can move it but do not change his size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, reason I wasn't able to spawn zombies is cause of the blocking volume issue. Now I'm running into two more problems though, first off can someone give me a run down on how pathing works? How far apart do they need to be and how many do I need? For example If I have one big room do I need to fill it with path nodes so they travel in it or just throughout hallways? Second issue is now whenever I try to save my map I get an error saying Couldn't save package - maybe file is read-only? It doesn't tell me what package/file is giving me the error so for the life of me I don't know what I need to delete/remove to fix it.

Also, I've been trying to get my friends to try the map out themselves to test for any bugs. The first time I sent the map in it's early stages it worked by sending them the map file and them putting it into map folder with the KF- requirement for name. Sadly now after many changes to the map and my friends wanting to play a newer version, even though we are doing the same process, now when they launch a solo game in Killing Floor the map doesn't even show up on the map list despite it being in the folder with the KF- handle. Yet when I try launching killing floor (not through SDK) and try the same I see it on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Quick question, and thanks for the help thus far. How do I make it so I have a door pre-welded with a very high welding capacity so I can put treasure behind it for those who take the time to unweld the entire thing? I know a few maps have done this and I've changed almost everything with the KFdoor mover properties that seem like it would raise the welding capacity but when i play test it it's still unwelding about as fast as any other door.

Upvote 0