• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has it really been five years? :(

wtcoverviewwest1ha7.jpg

More here: http://www.zombietime.com/wtc_9-13-2001/

Warning: Slow Site.

Upvote 0
I'm not fighting Fogh's war. Our soldiers should fight his logic, it's not my responsibility, it's up to them to realize it's worthless getting killed down there.

My family and freinds are down there getting shot at, and trust me, they didn't chose to go there, they signed up for peace keeping in Kosovo before this whole mess hit the fan.

Upvote 0
I clearly remember the day, me and two mates had just gotten back to the apartment we were renting from the day at college, and we had tv on, when there came a notice that there would be a news broadcast about a terror attack in the us.

We switched right over to cnn, and there the two towers were burning, and i think the pentagon was too.

There was some false report about an explosion at the congress building, and i remember a sinking feeling that this time there was a war on.

Needless to say, we were stuck to the tv the whole day. There was a huge feeling of support for the US during those days, and there was minutes of silence in the college the next day.

That was my memories from the day, i will leave this thread without any political musings from my part.

Upvote 0
I was asleep when the planes had hit both towers, but I remember as I was waking up hearing 'Building collapsed' but I thought it was a movie from my TV. After I had gotten all of my school stuff, I was heading out the door but as I turned around to ask my dad if he was ready I saw the TV and realized that something awful was happening. My mom made sure I didn't go to school, so I had to stay at home with my dad and watch the TV all day. But after a couple of hours I was getting too upset about what had happened.

So I jumped on the computer and started playing C&C Red Alert 2 so I could get my mind off what was happening on the TV. But as I was playing, a mission playing as the US had you defending the World Trade Center against the Soviets. I felt pretty sick as I was playing and I had to stop... The day after was just bizarre, everyone was quiet and didn't say much.

Upvote 0
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/news/articles/wtc/1year/numbers.htm

New York, WTC, World Trade Center, Ground Zero, Statistics, September 11, 9-11

Death, destruction, charity, salvation, war, money, real estate, spouses,
babies, and other September 11 statistics.

The initial numbers are indelible: 8:46 a.m. and 9:02 a.m. Time the burning towers stood: 56 minutes and 102 minutes. Time they took to fall: 12 seconds. From there, they ripple out.
  • Total number killed in attacks (official figure as of 9/5/02): 2,819
  • Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343
  • Number of NYPD officers: 23
  • Number of Port Authority police officers: 37
  • Number of WTC companies that lost people: 60
  • Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402
  • Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614
  • Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658
  • Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 22
  • Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115
  • Ratio of men to women who died: 3:1
  • Age of the greatest number who died: between 35 and 39
  • Bodies found "intact": 289
  • Body parts found: 19,858
  • Number of families who got no remains: 1,717
  • Estimated units of blood donated to the New York Blood Center: 36,000
  • Total units of donated blood actually used: 258
  • Number of people who lost a spouse or partner in the attacks: 1,609
  • Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051
  • Percentage of Americans who knew someone hurt or killed in the attacks: 20
  • FDNY retirements, January

Upvote 0
I was home, turned on the tube just after the first plane had struck. Everyone thought it was some kind of horrific accident. When the second plane hit all the local broadcasts started coming on about how it wasn't an accident, and the air bases near here (well, in the state anyway, SC) were going to their highest alert level, Fort Jackson was locked down, so on and so forth. Then the towers started to collapse and no one could believe it. I still don't get how they could just collapse, but this isn't the place for that.

The only new yorker I know had a brother there, he was just about to the door when the first plane hit. He turned around and ran, he was one of the lucky ones. Here's to those who weren't *raises glass*

Upvote 0
I could not believe the scale of the destruction. I had to imagine it to some degree because I have actually never seen the WTC before its destruction but watching the news you could get a good sense of it. I went to NYC a few years later on business and visited the site and then could not believe it even more. Insane.

The strangest thing for me about it though was the silence around my house -- I lived about 3 blocks from LAX at the time and to go outside and not hear any planes at all was very strange.

I think one figure that hits me is the 3,000 plus kids that they say lost a parent that day and that the average age of them is (or was) only 9 years old. This was on some documentary this last weekend, HBO i think -- it was the first time I had heard the number. Very sad. Very wrong.

Upvote 0
I just remembered another somewhat personal "encounter" with 9/11: it was about 2 years ago, my wife and I were shopping for a house and we went to one open house and looked around. It was a strange house in its layout, but when we asked about it one of the things they were required to divulge was that the previous owner had committed suicide in the house. It turned out the wife of the owner was one of the passengers on Flight 11 (the first to hit the WTC.) A couple years later, the guy just could not go on and killed himself in the house. Very sad and very grim.

Upvote 0
I remeber I was locked out of the house with a friend who had come round after school. We walked into the city center and literally everyone was talking about it. I kept on hearing people say "another one hit" and then "one of them's going down" standing in the que at Burger King. Later we decided to go see a film (I think it was Enemy at the Gates, could of been Zoolander) to waste time before my parents came back.

At around 10 o'clock we made our way home and my parents didn't even care where we had been, they were watching the news and I just said "ah! That's what they were talking about". I didn't really care back then tbh.

Upvote 0
I remember, I was going to my class as an office aide. I walked in and everyone was clustered around the TV in there, which was never turned on. Nobody was talking. I kind of wormed my way through people, and saw the first tower with smoke coming out of it. I just thought "Wow, that's a nasty accident. Someone flying too low, I guess. I remember seeing those towers last year when I went on a vacation to Ireland and I left America from JFK."

Later, as I was walking through a room delivering something, (every class had the TVs on) I saw the second plane hit the other tower. At that point I thought "Ok, there is no way in hell that that could be a coincidence." Later came the news of Pennsylvania and the Pentagon. And finally, for a change of pace with footage other than two crumbled towers & the Pentagon, CNN would show Palestinians cheering for the attacks and burning American flags.

My school was right next to an Air Force base, and we had tons of military parents coming and checking out their kids that day.

I'm just preparing myself for when the next terrorist attack will hit. The London and Madrid bombings reminded me that there is still is still a chance that, one day, we'll walk into work or school and have another long day of silence, staring at the news.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the odds of another day of silence are pretty good. Let's just hope it's not on this scale ever again.

It was an end to some innocence, in one regard: before this happened, all the "experts" said that if you were on a plane being hijacked, you should just sit there, shut up and wait it out and you'd be all right. So much for THAT wonderful advice.

Here's to the courageous passengers of United Airlines flight 93. I can only hope I'd have the guts to do the same, to still care about other people - the ones on the ground - in that situation.

As far as being ready for the next big "whatever:" it's a good idea. I live in a land of inept, uncaring government and earthquakes (California.) It's reccomended we keep an "earthquake kit" here, with 3 days worth of stuff. I'm planning on a week, with supplies that will allow me to extend past that if I need to. After seeing what happened on Sept. 11, and the aftermath of Katrina, I can't take as much for granted anymore.

Ragnar: I think I know what you mean by "documentaries." They're anything but.

Upvote 0
I was lying in bed sleeping. My phone rings. It's my dad.

"Turn on the news."
"Why?"
"You'll see"

"Holy ****! What the **** happened?!"

He explained what happened as best as he could and CNN filled in the rest. But boy, was I scared. My mom was flying out of Newark to Texas for business that morning and with the news reporting up to seven other hijacked jets, I was scared ****less. The part about one of the flights coming from Newark wasn't helping me either. We could not make contact for her and I was on the verge of tears, fearing the worst. Was she on Flight 93? **** **** ****, what was her flight number? Our fears were finally relieved when she called us several hours later and told us she was fine and she was at Newark (I forget if her flight took off or not).

I was at Ground Zero today, paying my respects and fighting with the 9/11 denier crowd. Very, very sad hearing all those names read aloud. Took nearly two or three hours for them to read it all.

Never forget.

Upvote 0
and fighting with the 9/11 denier crowd

You mean those idiots are so disrespectful that they showed up today at Ground Zero?! Wow, I mean if they have a different opinion about the event they should at least have enough respect to let the people that lost loved ones have a day of mourning without b.s. controversy.

Probably descendents of the losers who spit on Vietnam Vets when they came back.

Upvote 0