• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

hardware driver advantage?

Private Who?

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Texas
OK so I got a new gaming mouse this weekend, and it has this feature where one left-click can be set to respond as either 1, 2, 3, or 4 round bursts. This is pretty handy I suppose with SMG's or semi-autos. BUT here's the thing with bolt-action rifles: if you set this mouse to the '2' setting on the left button, you can fire and operate your bolt with one mouse click instead of two. Maybe some of you have a mouse that can do the same thing, but I had never seen one quite like this.

Would that be considered a glitch? Is that perhaps an unfair advantage over someone without such a mouse, when RO is specifically set up to require you to click an extra time to rebolt your weapon?

The down-side to this mouse is that IF you have your left button set to anything other than '1', throwing a grenade is instantaneous and it doesn't fly very far, so if you intend to use burst fire mode...you put yourself at a DISADVANTAGE with grenades. You can cycle through these settings with the click of a button....but so far that is sort of a pain in the rear.

Anyway, back to the question at hand: left-click on '2' with bolts - glitch or no glitch?

Seems more trouble than its worth really, after a round or so of using a bolt action even a person new to RO will probably begin to add the extra bolting click after each shot instinctively, whereas using that mouse set up means every time you use another weapon or menus you've got to remember adjust your mouse setting.

Nothing more than a gimmicky 'on the fly' macro, could maybe be kinda useful in one or two games.

Upvote 0
yeah that's what I found after a night of using it. At range, it was sorta cool to fire/bolt in one click. I suck too much with bolts for it to matter much anyway, and yeah you're right....I found myself having a hard time getting used to NOT clicking a second time to bolt. It had no effect on semi-auto rifles, but it did allow for 3-4 round bursts with SMG's. I need to try it with Killing Floor and see if that game is more suited to it. Maybe, maybe not.

Overall, I kept it turned off most of the night, but it was still a decent buy for a laser mouse with 800/1600/2200 dpi. The biggest draw-back is like I said with the 'nades. That right there is enough to keep it turned completely off for RO.

In case you're curious: the mouse is the Wolf King Trooper. Cheap, but a decent buy and a pretty good budget upgrade from my old and ailing optical mouse.

Upvote 0
Manual bolting wasn't put in Osfront to make it harder, it was put in to give the user the choice to bolt or not. In the mod days, you'd automatically bolt the weapon after firing, which could leave you stuck in the bolting animation. For example, if you fired at someone in close quarters and missed, you wouldn't be able to bayonet them until you had finished bolting. If someone wants to use a macro or something like that to make themselves bolt automatically, it's their loss.

Upvote 0