• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hardcore realism mode.

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I don't mind leveling and heroes and rare weapons etc, that may be fun in its own right, but I also want an EXTREME REALISM MODE , to counteract the free for all mode, while the "regular realism" mode can be more of a balanced in between.

I want to see it where it is completely realistic, no leveling, few rare weapons, appearance would depend on time and place etc. I mean I'm talking maps where say for example, the Germans have very little stamina and ammunition, but are heavily dug in, while the Russians have to charge across open fields, but all get smg's and ten grenades, just like in real life, so on and so on.

Of course I want standard loadouts, I want to see every Russian have a drum mag and stick mags, Germans using Russian weapons, very few pistol, officers should get more stamina and look healthier then enlisted men, all riflemen getting bayonets etc.

This game mode may not always be fairly balanced or easy, but like I said it would make the super hardcore realism people happy, while there would be a more moderate and more arcadey mode available too.

Last edited:
I don't mind leveling and heroes and rare weapons etc, that may be fun in its own right, but I also want an EXTREME REALISM MODE , to counteract the free for all mode, while the "regular realism" mode can be more of a balanced in between.

I want to see it where it is completely realistic, no leveling, few rare weapons, appearance would depend on time and place etc. I mean I'm talking maps where say for example, the Germans have very little stamina and ammunition, but are heavily dug in, while the Russians have to charge across open fields, but all get smg's and ten grenades, just like in real life, so on and so on.

Of course I want standard loadouts, I want to see every Russian have a drum mag and stick mags, Germans using Russian weapons, very few pistol, officers should get more stamina and look healthier then enlisted men, all riflemen getting bayonets etc.

This game mode may not always be fairly balanced or easy, but like I said it would make the super hardcore realism people happy, while there would be a more moderate and more arcadey mode available too.

Scale the idea back just a bit (they are not going to make different maps for this sort of thing that play like Lyves krovy, it's not gonna happen), and you have a good idea there that could be implimented.

Basically, what it needs to be is a RO-classic mode, where everyone gets the stadard equipment they should have, and none of the fluffy extras, basically what Ost and the mod gave us, nothing more and nothing less, with no special abillities or perks, no special guns, just the classic skill based RO gameplay and authenticity that a lot of us are going to want.

If there was such a mode, or server preset if you will, that was official and that i could easilly filter for in the server-browser, then i woulden't be so worried about HoS. Well, assuming we'll get enough servers running this mode/preset anyway..

I seriously doub't TWI is going to make a mode that will be everything the Realism-squads have allways dremt of, from their perspective it's probably to much work for something that is to niche, but the above, a Ro-Classic preset, they certainly could make, it really only needs to be a server preset that sets the game up with the bare-bones of Ost, realistic loadouts/classes, perk stuff disabled.

Upvote 0
Good idea and how about limiting some classes even more? For example even less smgs, maybe only six per 32. I think thats about right unless its an assault squad.

Absolutely, both realistic loadouts, and a realistic number of the different classes, basically what Ost gave us, a game that's very rifle focused (unless the theme of the map calls for something different, IE the battle was actually fought by an Assault squad).

Upvote 0
Anything outside of Realism and relaxed realism falls under the custom heading, where server admins can have many options under their control. Some of which will allow them to talk realism mode further.

This makes me excited for possible server option combinations!
Also, In soviet russia, i thought yoshiro = is2?
Shows how much i know about soviet russia i guess.:eek:

Upvote 0
If there was such a mode, or server preset if you will, that was official and that i could easilly filter for in the server-browser, then i woulden't be so worried about HoS. Well, assuming we'll get enough servers running this mode/preset anyway..

Me wants this!
+1

Maybe categories in custom:
- 1-5 settings off
- 6-10 settings off
- 10 or more settings off.

So if you want extreme realism, you can tick the last option. This will not specify it a whole lot, but it might take half of the servers (the ones with only a few minor adjustments) away to make searching for 'extreme realism' easier/faster

Upvote 0
Basically, what it needs to be is a RO-classic mode, where everyone gets the stadard equipment they should have, and none of the fluffy extras, basically what Ost and the mod gave us, nothing more and nothing less, with no special abillities or perks, no special guns, just the classic skill based RO gameplay and authenticity that a lot of us are going to want.

That is all I want. Ideally I would like two "realism" modes:

1) "Extreme Realism". Just like what Grobut describes.
2) "Realism". The same as above, but with the silly weapons so I can try them out every now and then.

And in addition to these modes:

3) "Relaxed realism" or whatever it is called now.

I doubt it will happen as that is 3 different game mode types + custom mode servers.

Upvote 0
One thing I don't like about server filters is that often times some really excellent server setups get filtered out because of one small detail. I think at times people get a little over zealous with their filters and miss out on finding a server that is taylored to their needs. (Filtering out for bots would be a good example. Just because the admin adds a few bots for those few times when numbers are low doesn't mean the server sucks).

After a time, most people will find their 'favorite' servers and servers they will play on regularly. It would be a shame to pass one up because it you've filtered out servers that play 'firefight' and you miss out on an excellent server that includes all you other criterea but tosses in a firefight map every 10th map or so.

An admin editable server description pop-up in the browser would be nice.

Hmm. ....can servers run mixed map (mixed gametype) rotations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=54430

In the interview posted in that thread they mention some upgrades.

PPSH upgrades:
stick mag
50 round drum mag (not sure if he corrected himself afterwards or if this is a upgrade)
72 round drum mag

And bayonets as a weapon specific unlock which I guess you need to grind it for each individual gun.

From what I have understood you will have to unlock these in ranked in order to play with them in custom. If this is the case I think a gamemode like this serve a purpose even though you can customize servers. A gamemode that overrides the ranking where you can play with a more historically accurate load out without the need to grind to get there.

Sure I will probably get the unlocks eventually, but especially at release I rather enjoy the game using the weapons I grown to love rather then work to get them.

Upvote 0
I do not mind unlocks like drums, bayonets, or even enemy weaponry. It gives a sense of achievement in that sense.

But I hope that the mp40-II won't be a regular update for the mp40 but really a hero based rare weapon. I don't mind rare weaponry, as long as it stays somewhat rare.

If like the "elite assault" class can pick like a Mkb or a mp40-II then that's fine by me, as long as after 2 year you wont have everybody running around with a mp40-II so that it stays rare throughout.

I'm not bothered that much by the Mkb especially as it bring a different layer of game play to the game, with having assault rifles. But I hope that people with the MP40 won't be able to always start with a mp40-II once they reach a certain level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0