• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hard drive questions

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
OK, so I just found out in my Computer Science class that I'm going to have to learn Linux, have quizes over it, etc. So, I am planning on installing Fedora Core (the build our school uses).

I have a master (C: ) drive with 60 gigs of space and another slave (H: ) drive with 320 gigs of space. I currently have Windows installed on the C Drive (I've had it forever) and have ported most of my apps and games to the H Drive (got it for Christmas).

I plan on installing Windows onto the H Drive, then uninstalling it from the C drive, formatting the C drive, and then installing Linux onto the C drive. I tried just using partition magic on the H drive to create another partition for linux, but it froze on boot.

So, if I copy my registry from the C drive over to the new copy of windows, (just the games values which I have manually changed anyway when I cut-pasted the games from C to H) will it work?

Will you use the linux after the class? If not I would say buy a cheap IDE HDD and just load linux on that one. Places like computer stop have Wester Digital 40 GB hard drives for around 50 bucks, or go to a PC recycler and get a used or recert drive. Cheaper and not as much of a headache as trying to move windows around. If you dont want to buy one, look into gparted, it is the ****. A bootable GUI partitioner that can detect, read, create, grow, shrink, move, copy and check most well known file systems.

Upvote 0