Hard drive questions

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SnotRocket

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
OK, so I just found out in my Computer Science class that I'm going to have to learn Linux, have quizes over it, etc. So, I am planning on installing Fedora Core (the build our school uses).

I have a master (C: ) drive with 60 gigs of space and another slave (H: ) drive with 320 gigs of space. I currently have Windows installed on the C Drive (I've had it forever) and have ported most of my apps and games to the H Drive (got it for Christmas).

I plan on installing Windows onto the H Drive, then uninstalling it from the C drive, formatting the C drive, and then installing Linux onto the C drive. I tried just using partition magic on the H drive to create another partition for linux, but it froze on boot.

So, if I copy my registry from the C drive over to the new copy of windows, (just the games values which I have manually changed anyway when I cut-pasted the games from C to H) will it work?

SnotRocket

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
Yeah but I don't want elitists giving me 50 pages of documentation as to HOW it might work or might not work, I just want a straight answer.

Donut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 19, 2005
If you just cut and paste the games(Ive done that too), all youd have to do is go into the new Windows intalls registry, and change the install drive letter for the games(best to do after a full reg import though).

Capt.Marion

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 12, 2006
Beantown
be careful, i've reformatted and re-installed windows several times from doing exactly that, minus the Linux stuff...

Vasili_Tyorkin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 21, 2006
Cascadia
Will you use the linux after the class? If not I would say buy a cheap IDE HDD and just load linux on that one. Places like computer stop have Wester Digital 40 GB hard drives for around 50 bucks, or go to a PC recycler and get a used or recert drive. Cheaper and not as much of a headache as trying to move windows around. If you dont want to buy one, look into gparted, it is the ****. A bootable GUI partitioner that can detect, read, create, grow, shrink, move, copy and check most well known file systems.

radix

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Germany
I would recommedn you buy/dl vmware (vmware.com) and create a virtual pc and install there the linux stuff especially if you don't know what are you doing.