• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Happy 10th Birthday to Halflife

The Star Wars game name is Force Commander.

That was it!. Thanks, Anyway I think I installed the demo, wasn't impressed.
With Blueshift I remember me and a friend played it for about 4 hours and completed it. Opposing force was my favorite out of the two. The amount of variety in Half life was brilliant.

Upvote 0
Despite knowing about Half Life from publications of the time, it wasn't until 2000 (I bought it the same time as Deus Ex) that I actually purchased it. And even then I refused to play it until I'd finished Deus Ex.

Even playing Deus Ex before it - didn't dull the experience at all.
It still is one of the best fps games I've played. Which is a shame considering how far we've supposedly come.
Even playing it (assuming you aren't one of those people who can't play old games because they look "old") these days is still an enjoyable experience. Nostalgia aside.

The Half Life "universe" has sadly moved away from the things that made it entertaining, Half Life 2 is highly regarded (for some reason) and the franchise is destined for assumed greatness thanks to the work of HL1.

If I can I'd also like to remember Unreal, which was overshadowed entirely by HL1...also 10 years old this year!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even playing it (assuming you aren't one of those people who can't play old games because they look "old") these days is still an enjoyable experience. Nostalgia aside.
I could play Half-Life 1 any moment because it definitely was epic in some kind, you just have to think of all the games/mods that came with it back then. It definitely shaped an era and my personal gaming history as well. If I just think of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat(whether you like them or not) and mods like Vampire Slayer, Hostile Intent(god I loved those lol) etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unreal was totally awesome. I just was the old style of FPS, where you just had a level and fought your way to the exit. Barely any scripts and text message only presentation. It was still great with awesome graphics and a very good atmosphere. Also the Skaarj were very good villains.

Unreal 2 wasn't even developed by the same team it's just the same name.

Upvote 0
Yeah, basically Unreal 1 got me into playing deathmatch in the first place. Since I never played on LAN parties a lot and internet was still freaking expensive in Germany back then, it was the only chance for us poor offline people to play some deathmatch. The funny thing was, when I finally got to play Unreal Tournament against real people I could actually hold my own against them.

I always found Unreal slightly better than Half-Life, though I own both plus the addons (only opposing force, never bought blueshift). Half-Life just got worse once you reach the alien world levels and the final fight was kind of lame. I'd much rather have fought the g-man or someone along that line. You guys do realize however that it was half life that started all the heavy scripting people here like to hate so much?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New trailer for Black Mesa Source is out
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oGlhgVz5r6E&fmt=22

Looking very, very nice, it even has a release year now ;)

Thats too much awesome packed into one video. +1 point for Insane detail on the tram ride (the part you pass through for 5 sec ingame must have taken 100+ working hours to make :D). +1 for amazing outdoor skybox. +1 for the tentacle monster animation. -1 for fugly gordan freeman model wtf.

Upvote 0