• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Halo 3 Clip

I can't wait till Halo 3, I'll probably buy a 360 just to get and play that game. I mainly just like the story and single player campaign of the series though, not a huge fan of the multiplayer. I thought the ad was kind of a rip-off though, with the kids taking up the first 17 seconds. I know the kids are probably John and Kelly, but their inclusion in the ad seems pretty pointless other than to make a bit of irony. The M.C. looked pretty badass in the rest of the trailer, and I think the only reason for whipping out the pistol was to show us that the old one is back.

Upvote 0
I don't get the point of teasers for games. There's already hype for it. Showing me a rendered cutscene doesn't make me want it anymore, because I know it's just that; a rendered cutscene.

If it's only in Alpha stages than by the time it's released the hype gained from a teaser like this will already be washed away by the wastes of time. Just don't get it.

Upvote 0
I don't get the point of teasers for games. There's already hype for it. Showing me a rendered cutscene doesn't make me want it anymore, because I know it's just that; a rendered cutscene.

If it's only in Alpha stages than by the time it's released the hype gained from a teaser like this will already be washed away by the wastes of time. Just don't get it.

Its their money, not ours. I personally don't mind watching a pretty cool teaser.

Upvote 0
So far everything released is nothing to shout about. I would be suprised (and impressed) if Halo 3 isnt just HALO 1/2 with improved graphics.

Right on sheepdip.

Who is impressed by FMV anyway?

"other games want you to feel like you're in a war movie, while RO is meant to make you feel like you're in a war"

Seems like Bungie are going the opposite way and just want you to feel like you're watching a movie.

Games are INTERACTIVE, its time to leave the cutscenes behind. Gaming needs to grow out of its infancy.

Halo, much praised for its "brilliant" story can be summed up in 2 words.

Fighting aliens.

Hell maybe put a 3rd word in.

Hero fighting aliens.

I don't need badly written and acted generic cutscenes interrupting generic gameplay.

Christ i am so sick of people comparing everything to Halo. If this had just been a PC shooter no one would even know about the game.

"Its their money, not ours. I personally don't mind watching a pretty cool teaser."

Its not a teaser. A teaser implies a small part of what you will get. You will not be playing anything like that. What you will be playing is a slightly updated version of Halo 2, and that was one of the blandest most generic shooters ive ever had the displeasure of playing.

The only reason it gets a mention is it was the first half decent FPS to be on a console.

" The game is still in Alpha testing, showing a gameplay video right now would be pretty tough to do. Take a gander at the E3 announcement trailer, it may not be gameplay but at least its an in-engine video. I think the story is more interesting anyway."

People always use this kind of excuse when people criticise useless hype.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING OF THE GAME TO SHOW THEN DONT SHOW IT.

Did Spore, one of the most promising games ever conceptualised, start with some corny FMV scene of evolution. No, Will Wright did an HOUR LONG talk on the game with lots of in depth footage of gameplay.

This kind of pandering is just what fan boys live on.

You are buying a brand, not a good game.

Have these videos shown spectacular in game graphics never seen before? No.

Have they shown unparrareled levels of physics and interactivity? No.

What have you got.

Master Chief (COOL NAME!) shooting aliens. Wow, who would have expected it.

Halo has NEVER done anything original. Everything that has ever been in a halo game can be traced to a previous FPS that did it better.

Just because XBOX and Halo are hyped doesnt mean its anything special.

It comes down to COOLNESS. If you're a teenager and your idea of great film is explosions and shooting, you need to shut up about games having "great stories". There have been very few well written games in the history of gaming, (the lucas arts point and clickers were usually of a very high standard), if a short cutscene is enough to get you excited about a game that has shown no signs of doing anything than selling you the same game as it did before but with slightly better graphics, then i suggest you raise your standards.

Rant over.

Upvote 0
I don't personally have a problem with cool CG scenes, just as long as no one is lead to believe that they're in-game stuff. Activision had some troubles with that in the UK a few years back, I believe?

To the game itself, I don't understand all the fascination. People who herald it as the greatest game ever made really need to play some more games :) It was good, and possibly one of the best console shooters of all time following Goldeneye 64 and Turok (GE because it came first and had the same party elements, Turok because it was and is just genious [the first one anyway, the sequals all pretty much ****ed]). And I agree, had Halo come out as a PC release title, it would have gotten good marks and then slipped away into history. Sometimes I almost wish it had, just to spare everyone the trouble of Halo 2 hype/game and now Halo 3 hype/game! :p

EDIT: Bloody hell, my laptop only wants me to post in HTML for some reason. Fixed the wall o' text

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do agree with AKA about cutscenes, seems one time devs were straying away from FMV's for cutscenes and trying to use the game engine to produce a them. Obviously this helps with immersion, and usually makes you appreciate the game a bit more. I always find that fully rendered FMV's break the feel that you get.

I suppose it's down to individual game though. Some CG cutscenes are awesome.

And about HALO, Microsoft used it very sucessfully to market the Xbox. Quite honestly without it nobody would have bought one.

But this doesn't change the fact it was supposed to be released on the PC in 1998/9, or that when it was released about 5 years late, it was a buggy run of the mill piece of crap that couldn't stand up to other fps released at the time.
It's now one of those franchises that a you'll clearly see milked, and then loved by critics for no good reason.

HALO was a good console shooter, not the best, but good. HALO 2 was the same, but shorter and had a less "story" (if you could call it that). HALO 3 will likely be the same deal. Same gameplay. Better graphics.
This FMV looks good, but it's a FMV. It's just trying to build up some hype.
No doubt HALO fans will go "OMFG AWESOMES!!!" despite the fact it shows nothing and the only screenies released are nothing to look at either.

But, gentlemen...we're better than this.

Upvote 0