• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun Sounds

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
That's exactly how it currently is, for me at least. Get a better sound card.:p Or turn up your volume, that helps seriously!:)

MOST of the sounds are.. except the G43 and StG44. The G43 sounds like a .22 rimfire rifle, really high-pitched... The StG I can understand sounding a bit different because of the Kurz ammo, but it sounds more like a pistol. I think the quality is really high, and they're loud enough, but the pitch of the G43 is the one that bugs me the most.

Thinking about it a bit, the pitch of the G43 sound is almost exactly like the PPsh. The G43 isn't going to sound like it's loaded in 8x57 no matter what the volume is turned to. :p

I had a gun sounds thought, and someone commented about the moving parts on automatics. I was thinking back on shooting my M1 Carbine, when you were the one shooting it, the sound of the action cycling would transmit through your cheek. It made a really neat "clinKOW" sound whenever I shot it.

Upvote 0
{YBBS}Sage said:
I had a gun sounds thought, and someone commented about the moving parts on automatics. I was thinking back on shooting my M1 Carbine, when you were the one shooting it, the sound of the action cycling would transmit through your cheek. It made a really neat "clinKOW" sound whenever I shot it.

Yeah, that would be neat to implement as well. Guns really do sound different when you're the one firing them. I assume they also sound different when you're in front of the muzzle than when you're behind it.

What bugs me is people that say stuff like "no, you can't do that with the Unreal engine." If I remember correctly, Tripwire has a full license to the engine, including all the source code. They can do anything with it that they want, provided they have the programming skill to make it happen (which isn't a criticism if they don't, because engine programming is the most difficult part of game development).

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
Yeah, that would be neat to implement as well. Guns really do sound different when you're the one firing them. I assume they also sound different when you're in front of the muzzle than when you're behind it.

You're exactly right. Firing a rifle is far more of a loud, indistinct 'boom' when you fire it, but sounds completely different at distance.

Also, no computer game or movie has captured the true sound of a round zipping above your head. Fascinating to listen to - there's a high pitched 'Crack' (the bullet breaking the sound barrier) and then the 'THUMP' of the rifle being discharged.

Upvote 0
haha, that 5.56 sound sounds like a richochet, you have to listen for the pop afterwards.

Heres the problem with these links to sounds of guns. When your standing there, either shooting or watching next to a real gun, it sounds totally different then what is heard in a film or recording. I have a Mauser K98 (either from 42 or 44, I havent checked the markings recently), and that thing sounds like a cannon. Up close there is reletively no crack to it. When I'm spotting for it, I can feel the overpressure of the thing go off and all I hear is a quick "BOOM". But the noise of me spotting for it is totally different from what I hear when I'm shooting. In fact I barely even notice the sound of it when I'm shooting it, but thats because the way the sound waves go out of the end of the barrel.

I've also shot a lot of 9mm. My WW1 luger makes a "Pop Pop" noise. And when I shot the mp40 it made a " Fwapopopopop.......Fwapopopopop" noise.

I also have an sks, and the 7.62 x 39 is as close as your gonna get to the stg44 round. It makes a distinctively different noise than the K98 but it still makes a "BOOM" kind of noise, like quiter but higher pitched, like a "BAOM". But you can slightly here the spring and bolt making a "shink" noise as they are working, but it is very very slight.

Also the thing about semi's and bolts is they do make a different noise, but as much of a noise as between the Gewher 43 and the K98, not really. Sage was right about the M1 carbine (I have one of those as well), It makes a really neat "clinkow" noise. So I would assume the Gewher 43 does something slightly like that.

Now the problem with all of this, is that I'm shooting with hearing protection on, so I lose so more types of sound then. I have shot my sks without hearing protection on, and thats when I heard a distinctive "crack", but the noise was a mix, it was like "BOWACKshshshsh". That "shshshsh" at the end of that noise was what I heard for the one and a half seconds my ears were ringing afterwards (What was wierd is it wasnt quite a ringing but like my ears got overloaded by the overpressure, its really hard to explain"

As an added note, the farther you get away from the guns firing the more the sounds turn into a popping noise.

So all in all, RO has the best complete assortment of sounds, but I do believe some are a little off in terms of how deep the sound sounds and the general sound itself. For example the Luger and the mp40 are to deep and lack the distinctive "pop" of the 9mm and some of the larger rifles lack the "BOOM" of the power behind the round. Also (this is on pure speculation from shooting other weapons) I believe the Gewher 43 doesnt quite get the "BOOM" or the "Clinkow", though I could be totally wrong (on the Gewher that is).

I do believe RO has done a fantastic job, the sounds mixed together sound great, just some of the sounds are off.

Upvote 0
Sound is one of the main problems with first person shooters in my opinion. The simple fact is that if it were possible to implement gun sounds the way they are in real life, people would be a lot less inclined to go running around as they are shot at. If it were possible to get the feeling of power down better, then people would probably use cover more, etc., as they would be much more intimidated/scared. It would be much more immersive. But, because of engine limitations, and also the simple fact that recording and mixing sounds as loud as guns is kinda tricky, I don't know if it's really possible. It would be cool though.

That said, I think overall RO has done a great job.

Upvote 0
this game has the most impressive sound i have ever experienced. i think the people behind that game have done a superb job.
some weapons might sound a little different from their originals though. especially the mg42. i showed the game to a war vet and he indicated that the gun sound is similar to the mg3, so, not really simulated in the game, especially when listing to it from the distance.
those guys who have fired machine guns and/or assault guns might agree when i write that 160dbA are difficult to squeeze into a recording or sound engine. one guy wrote that he could here the metallic parts klinking and klanking. it

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
Are you sure you guys want the gun sounds to be even louder? Seriously, if they become even louder you might damage your hearing. This is still a game, remember. If you want your eardrums being punched out go fire a real gun.

Read this too by the way:

Article by Pete Townshend (The Who) on headphones being the cause of his bad hearing
No matter how loud the sounds are made, it will still not kill your ears on normal volume (that would be around 25%). But yeah, make the gunshots too loud and it will become distorted and washed out.

Upvote 0
LukeFF said:
Military-grade rifles do not "slap your lungs" with shock waves when you fire a round.

Not to doubt your knowledge, but last time I stood w/in 5 feet of my friend shootin his AR15 (16" barrel, standard flash suppressor) with standard Remington loads, I could most certainly feel it in me! (it felt like a short but strong gust of wind, ripping right thru me) I don't think it was the concussion, either. (although it was like sitting next to that .30-06 express....)

I'm no expert, were any of the 7.62x54R loads or 8mm (7.92x57) Short Mauser loads quite as powerful as the .223 Rem/5.56x51 NATO loads?

Upvote 0
Capt.Marion said:
I'm no expert, were any of the 7.62x54R loads or 8mm (7.92x57) Short Mauser loads quite as powerful as the .223 Rem/5.56x51 NATO loads?

They're both worlds more powerful than a 5.56 NATO. I wouldn't even use that for hunting deer, it's not powerful enough, but the other two are.

I still say that the only sound I really have a big problem with is the G43. It should sound SIMILAR to the Kar.. but it has this wierd whistling crack going on. It's so distinctive, you know every time someone shoots one, no matter what part of the map they're on.

Upvote 0