• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun Sounds

Realistic Sounds in Games

Realistic Sounds in Games

I like the sounds in this game, and ive never fired any of the guns featured so I cant comment on how realistic they sound. However, I have fired or been around many other guns, and while the sounds in games may be what the guns' recorded sounds are, they never quite capture the "feel" of what the guns sound like. I dont mean concussive force, just how you perceive the guns.

This was why I never like the sounds in games like Medal of Honor. I have no doubt that the sound engineers captured sounds from real weapons, but thats not what they sound like when you're around them. One game Ive played that came close was America's Army for Xbox (terribly buggy game, good sound). In the middle of a fire fight, after the m249 and all the m16s going off around ak47s for a few seconds, most of the gun sounds turned into loud, echo-y bangs and pops. The sounds quieted down as well, as youre actual hearing does around loud noises, making it hard to hear the soldiers around you yelling orders.

Another example is the movie HEAT. New gun sounds were mixed and recorded to capture the experience of firing off assault rifles in downtown Los Angeles.

The guns still kept a bit of a signiture sound to them in AA, but they all were very loud.

Upvote 0
The gun sounds in RO are some of the best I've heard but a microphone can't pick up everything your body senses when you fire a rifle. For one the rifle itself carries the soundwaves of the explosion along with the recoil through itself and into your body. Its kind of like when you talk and your voice sounds completely different to you than it does to everyone else. Its because the sound waves are getting to your ear directly through your body along with the soundwaves that travel through the air. So in a way a microphone will never capture how it sounds to fire a gun of any kind in real life.

Upvote 0