• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gun Sounds

I'm with Lemur on this one. The gun sounds need a total overhaul, along with many of the other sounds as well (how come a T34 can sneak up behind me without me hearing it?).

Real gunfire is an earpiercing *CRACK* which echoes off in to the distance, and it should sound like that for all the weapons. For example, the PPS and the PPD fire the same bullet at nearly the same rate, but in the game it's easy to tell the difference between the two. This makes it obvious that the sounds are more stylized than realistic. In reality, gunshots sound more alike than different.

A few conclusions I've come up with about this subject:

1. Large caliber, low velocity rounds (PPS, MP40, pistols) should have more bass than rifle shots.

2. Small caliber, supersonic bullets (K98, Mosin, and the machineguns) should have less bass kick, but they crack like crazy because of the sonic boom. They're also louder because they displace more air.

3. Aside from the sound of the bolt operating, there shouldn't be any difference in the sound of the semi-automatics vs the bolt action rifles.

Another problem with RO's sound is the mixing. The guns should be way, way, WAY louder than the footsteps or voices. It's tempting to make compromises to make the game easier to hear when playing at low volumes, but I think it ends up ruining the player's situational awareness when someone can be shooting at him at relatively close range and he doesn't hear it.

It was a good idea to have two seperate sounds for each weapon, one for close and one for distance, but it needs some work. Instead of playing one sound or the other, is it possible to play the two sounds together, varying the volume of each independently based on distance? This way you could have an idea who is shooting by how far away they are, rather than memorizing the sound each friendly and enemy weapon makes.

And by the way, here's the way the MG42 should sound:
http://www.nazarian.no/wep.asp?id=163&group_id=13&country_id=120&lang=0&p=7

People would be a lot more scared of machineguns if they sounded like that.

Upvote 0
I agree about the G43 sound. I've always wondered how 8x57mm could sound like .22lr...

Semi-auto vs bolt sound? Yeah, there can be a bit of difference, but not a whole lot.

Avneger said:
1. Large caliber, low velocity rounds (PPS, MP40, pistols) should have more bass than rifle shots.

2. Small caliber, supersonic bullets (K98, Mosin, and the machineguns) should have less bass kick, but they crack like crazy because of the sonic boom. They're also louder because they displace more air.

Problem: all of the Soviet SMGs in this game use 7.62mm Tokarev, which is smaller caliber than the 8mm used in the Mauser, and the same diameter as the 7.62x54R in the Soviet rifles. Plus, even the lower-velocity rounds from pistols and such are still supersonic. Hell, even .22lr is transonic.

The "bassier" sound in pistols, etc., is (from my own experience shooting different length/same caliber pistols and rifles - a .22 pistol with 1 1/2" barrel doesn't sound anything like a .22 rifle) the shorter barrel letting more pressure escape behind the bullet. You're hearing the (parially wasted) powder charge explode.

I'd say that pistols shold be more of a staccato "pop!" with rifles running more toward an echoing "pow!".

I love most of the gun sounds in the game, and think they got them pretty good sounding. I just don't agree with the PPD/PPS comparitive sound, or with the .22lr sound of the G43.

Or, for that matter, of the StG44's sound.. It's still a rifle, but sounds more like a rifle chambered in a pistol round.

In case you wonder: Soundblaster Live! 24 bit. Cheap, I know. :p

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
I'm with Lemur on this one. The gun sounds need a total overhaul, along with many of the other sounds as well (how come a T34 can sneak up behind me without me hearing it?).

Real gunfire is an earpiercing *CRACK* which echoes off in to the distance, and it should sound like that for all the weapons. For example, the PPS and the PPD fire the same bullet at nearly the same rate, but in the game it's easy to tell the difference between the two. This makes it obvious that the sounds are more stylized than realistic. In reality, gunshots sound more alike than different.

3. Aside from the sound of the bolt operating, there shouldn't be any difference in the sound of the semi-automatics vs the bolt action rifles.

Another problem with RO's sound is the mixing. The guns should be way, way, WAY louder than the footsteps or voices. It's tempting to make compromises to make the game easier to hear when playing at low volumes, but I think it ends up ruining the player's situational awareness when someone can be shooting at him at relatively close range and he doesn't hear it.

It was a good idea to have two seperate sounds for each weapon, one for close and one for distance, but it needs some work. Instead of playing one sound or the other, is it possible to play the two sounds together, varying the volume of each independently based on distance? This way you could have an idea who is shooting by how far away they are, rather than memorizing the sound each friendly and enemy weapon makes.

From your post its obvious you know little in the way of the limitations of the UT engine.

Many of your comments are fairly subjective, YOU may not think they are realistic, but Xancerman has done an absolutely amazing job of getting the most realistic weapon sounds i've ever heard into this game engine. I trained as a sound engineer and I work as a voice producer irl, i also am producing the sound for the burning sands mod, and we're going to have a very hard time getting weapon sounds as good as ROs.

Making weapons sound as loud as they would in real life would POP most peoples tweeters in their speaker systems, they need to be compressed hard! The UT engine also does not allow the flexibilty in mixing sounds that you describe.

With the engine limitations I cannot imagain a better audio experience from a WW2 war game, nothing out there compares, CoD2, BF2, or any of the rest.

Upvote 0
I think the sounds are very nice apart from the G43. Also, the automatic weapons could do with the metallic sounds of the moving parts. Like along with the sound of the burning gases released a loud *klack klack klack* when the bolt and gas cylinder move back and forth.

Frankly I have no experience from firing automatic weapons without hearing protection, but with hearing protection the metallic sounds were very distinct, and especially with a ZU-23 -2 firing right next to you, it really felt almost like you were shooting airsoft guns, except for the loud sound of the moving parts.

While firing without hearing protection then again, it might be that it's lost in the higher frequenzies of the burning gasses bursting out.

Upvote 0
Tak said:
Gunfire is a sharper, more 'crack-like' sound than popular culture would like to have you believe. Hollywood (and I'm sure game studios too) commonly mix gunfire with things like cannon blasts and engine 'backfires' to achieve a more bass-filled and dramatic effect.

In short: the RO sounds ain't broke, they're the best :)

The last time I fired my M44, my neighbors thought I was firing a cannon... :D :p

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
That's exactly how it currently is, for me at least. Get a better sound card.:p Or turn up your volume, that helps seriously!:)

What exactly qualifies as a good sound card? In any case, that's irrelevant, because I think most of the weapon sounds were better in the mod. I was disappointed when I started up Ostfront for the first time, fired my Mosin for the first time, and it sounded like the shot was way off in the distance. It just lacks punch.

Upvote 0
My main gripe about the sounds is that they lack the lungpunch effect that firing off centerfire rifles IRL has.

Oh yeah, and the fact that if your speakers are turned up loud enough to hear your own footsteps, then if sounds were truly realistic, you would be deaf after about the first two shots in game.

RO does a good job with sounds, considering the limitations present in engine and in human ear construction.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:

Your right, they could be better. But they are the best in any WW2 game out now. Maybe when the RO team gets their hands on better technology and equipment will the weapons sound 100% realistic.

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
Making weapons sound as loud as they would in real life would POP most peoples tweeters in their speaker systems, they need to be compressed hard! The UT engine also does not allow the flexibilty in mixing sounds that you describe.
That's true. If they are made too loud, the sound will get distorted and washed out. I've done a little bit of sound editing before, although I am not professional and only have general knowledge of sounds.

Anyways, I haven't heard the gunshot sounds from RO:O other than from videos and such, but I've never fired a gun, so I wouldn't know how realistic they are. However, most games have uber bassy gunshot sounds which sound like crap when it's overdone since overdone bass distorts the sound.

Oh, and one thing worth mentioning: The bass doesn't only come from the gun, it also comes from the sound stinging your ears. Ever hear something loud and feel it stinging your ears? You can also feel the bass. So whether a certain gun doesn't have much bass or not, it would be cool to add some bass to consider that ear stinging effect.

Upvote 0
Here is a video of me firing an M44. While the M44 is not in the game, an M38 is. They have the same length barrel and sound the same. There is some bass on the shots in this video. If you have the right speaker (I.E. SUBWOOFER) you will notice it.

By the way, ignore the sticky bolt. I had been firing a lot of czech Silver tip and the bolt was sticky then. I have since cleaned it and it functions great now.

http://media.putfile.com/Shooting-an-M44-Mosin-Nagant

try it now

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sichartshofen said:
For those of you that like the mod sounds better, you can extract them from the utx files and use them in Ostfront. This should only be for personal use. So don't start editing them and releasing soundpacks.

The G43 does sound like a 22. It has that pathetic pop sound a .22 rifle does.

I liked the sound of the g43 in cod 1.That was the best i ever heard.

Upvote 0