• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Guide] Beginner Player Guide

Here's an issue I'm having as a new player with some maps.

I'm getting swarmed cause I'm alone.

I'm not talking about running off from the group and getting killed, that's totally my fault. What I referring to is when I first join the game and by the time I've made it to the trader my team has already geared up and gone to a section of the map to defend. Seeing how there's no radar or "find player" feature, I'm forced to random run around the map in hopes I find them. Most of the time I don't luck out and get murdered in which I wait to re-spawn in which case I just die again.

Any tips to avoid this cycle of dying.

At higher and higher difficulties, there's sometimes no option but to move on without you. Some especially difficult maps have traders that take ages to reach from the spawn location.

What you want to do is if you manage to join while you're still able to see where your teammates are fighting, take a note of their camp location. They will most likely go back there unless they say something in chat. If you're unsure as to how to get there, note that you can press the middle mouse button or whichever button to which you have alt fire binded to go into free spectate. If you're getting lost a lot trying to get to the location, perhaps you should try getting used to the map by playing on an easier difficulty.

If that doesn't work, then it might be best if you just make a beeline towards the camping location. Forget betting new weapons for now, just try to stay in the back and take aimed shots with the 9mm. If your perks aren't high enough level yet to get a free weapon upon spawn, then you should go sharpshooter so as to get that extra little bit of damage. Make sure to stay alive though or this will just further perpetuate.

Upvote 0
Here's an issue I'm having as a new player with some maps.

I'm getting swarmed cause I'm alone.

I'm not talking about running off from the group and getting killed, that's totally my fault. What I referring to is when I first join the game and by the time I've made it to the trader my team has already geared up and gone to a section of the map to defend. Seeing how there's no radar or "find player" feature, I'm forced to random run around the map in hopes I find them. Most of the time I don't luck out and get murdered in which I wait to re-spawn in which case I just die again.

Any tips to avoid this cycle of dying.

One thing I have noticed with many players of all levels (more common in lower, but still): Many take WAY too long in the trader. You need to know what you're going to get before the wave even ends, get it and get out. I understand you can't just know your weapon loadout the first time you play a perk, but once you learn your preference, don't waste any time. If it takes you any longer than 5-10 seconds in the trader, depending on the situation (you may just need ammo, which should take only a few seconds, or you may need to scroll down to buy an off-perk weapon, which could take several), then you're taking too long.

Tip: You can double-click to purchase/sell your weapons. This saves you the trouble of moving your cursor to purchase and sell buttons.

This may or may not be a problem that you have, but it is good info for all and overly common.

Upvote 0
Hello Slavek! I'm new here but have already played the game so I thought perhaps I could help a little (pick some bones) with this guide.

Firstly, you mention precautions against raging fleshpounds, however maybe you could also mention 'scakes, to a lesser extent'. I guess it's also part of KF etiquette...?

Also, newer players may not realize this but can mortally injure a team is that they can block the trader door. I've seen a few times where a new player spends 50 seconds idling in the entrance, the rest of the team behind him going ping ping ping at him with the knife watching the 'Next Wave Incoming' text flash on-screen. Just thought I should mention that.

Smoke clouds, too. Part etiquette, part demo's responsibility. Putting it in either section may help?

Perhaps remember that Support and Demo both get increase in number of nades and damage :3

For the Sharpshooter's weapon rundowns:
The Lever-Action can only stun scrakes at level 6, as this is a beginner's guide maybe write 'at higher levels' or 'at level 6' at the end of that line.
The MK23 pistol is an MK23 pistol, it seems your finger slipped and wrote a 4 instead of a 2.
The M99AMR (maybe include the AMR? Optional haha): A very important part of the rifle is that the ammunition costs $250 a pop. It'd be horrible for a new player to finally save up for the gun only to discover (to their horror) that buying just ten rounds of ammunition would break the bank.
And maybe mention the sharpie is quite good at taking scrakes, too (if that isn't made obvious)

For the Demoman's launched grenades I'm quite sure they all behave identically (not 100% sure) but if they are it may be worth mentioning. May be.

For the Commando's FN-FAL rundown, it's written in a different style from the rest. Instead, maybe in each weapon's rundown its differences may be mentioned. The AK-47 and the MKb do not have special optics; the SCAR and the Tommeh weighs 1 block less, and perhaps simplify the FAL's rundown to the basics as with the other ones and write '10% higher rate of fire than SCAR' or something. Iunno, sorry :c
Oh, and it seems you're missing a description for the MKb. Here:
MKb: Higher accuracy, lower recoil and higher price than AK-47, otherwise identical. Also has only iron sights.

It also does seem for the medic, you didn't list the Schneidzekk :V
Oh yaah, and the Medic gets nades that release a small cloud of green gas that heals teammates and damages specimens.

Support's Vlad the Impaler (AKA Vlad 9000): A magazine-fed nailgun that behaves like a shotgun. Shoots quickly with bouncing shots.
(TBH all my suggested descriptions feel a little odd, not sure why feel free to edit)

Now for the Zerk's and Firebug's (only missing the trenchgun) weapons I know nothing of so sorry :c you'll have to get someone else to fill you in on them

About the specimen rundowns:
It may help to make it clear that the bloat's head is almost embarassingly fragile and anything more than a single 9mm shot would pop it like a party bloon.

And under Fleshpound: When I first joined all the guides I've seen says that it can rage when it gets 'frustrated', never elaborating on how that worked. Maybe keeping it short: 'can rage when shot at or line of sight is kept for too long (~10s)' works.
And maybe the half damage from everything but double damage from explosives can encourage nade-throwing and demo nuking.

And maybe under the 'Tactics' sections maybe include the most important tactic of all (right behind teamwork actually): Headshoots. Can't stress that enough :I (Maybe also mention the crunchy noise upon successful headshots)

Well that was my first post haha :p I hope it was helpful and not to sandpaper-esque but have fun~!
Oh yeah, and I don't have the DLC so I can't help with the flair guns either :c sorry)

Last edited:
Upvote 0