• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenades?!

Jaksi123

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 21, 2010
So Grenades. :eek:

I hate them. :mad:

In Red Orchestra Ostfront i die to grenades all the time.

I wouldnt like to see so many grenades on this RO2HOS.

I think in class "Strelok" they hadnt so many grenades with them. :confused:

So i think it will be better if only assault squad have grenades on default.

Guz i just dont like grenade spam. It so stupid. :(

And second they are so hard to see in ostfront.

Thats my point and i like to see some changes in next game.

I think in ROOST the small size of some maps makes nade spamming a regular occurence.
Hopefully slightly bigger maps may curtail that, at least so its not too extreme.
The start of danzig is just hilarious, to see that many nades in the air at one time is funny and sad.

One nade instead of two wouldnt bother me, or even having to collect them from an ammo pile near the spawn to get some.

Upvote 0
I'm just gonna put what I said kinda offtopic in the other grenade thread:

Grenades already annoy the hell out of me. I know the loadout you get and damage they cause is generally "realistic" but they are NOT used in a realistic fashion....99% of TKs are done with grenades, and most people will forgive it, so people don't worry so much about where they toss them....compare this to real life where you'd have to be absolutely certain of where your enemy and friends are located before using them, and you quickly come to the conclusion that there is a real overuse of grenades, not just in RO but in most shooters.

I think it could be addressed quite easily...RO already models armies with a set size using the reinforcements system...why not also model the amount of AMMO each side gets to use. This way mappers could limit grenades, satchels or other items as required.

I think this would work very well, and could also still be considered realistic. Once the ammo is gone, it really is gone....
I will add to this that I first posted this idea about 3 years ago when RO first came out...dunno if it's still on the forum somewhere, but I think it's obviously better to pool ammo on a per player basis to make things fair...I think this system would greatly enhance RO...I was playing Stalingrad on TWBs server tonight and it felt like 50% of the deaths were from grenades...not so fun.

I'm guilty of getting easy grenade kills probably like everyone else here, but if we limit them and the mapper can assiagn a set amount on a per player basis - people will be much more cautious before "wasting" them and actually conserve them for those instances where there is dire need to push forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylle and Hoak
Upvote 0
i dont think grenades are so used because they are plentiful, rather because they are timely...

if an enemy sprints out of sight behind a wall during a firefight, throwing a grenade takes, what, 2 seconds? IRL an infantryman would have to put his gun somewhere, pull out the nade and THEN check it for throwing.

tl;dr make it take longer to switch to grenade, problem solved :)

Upvote 0
i dont think grenades are so used because they are plentiful, rather because they are timely...

if an enemy sprints out of sight behind a wall during a firefight, throwing a grenade takes, what, 2 seconds? IRL an infantryman would have to put his gun somewhere, pull out the nade and THEN check it for throwing.

tl;dr make it take longer to switch to grenade, problem solved :)

It depends if the soldier has a belt to hold his gun..

Upvote 0
So Grenades. :eek:

I hate them. :mad:

In Red Orchestra Ostfront i die to grenades all the time.

I wouldnt like to see so many grenades on this RO2HOS.

I think in class "Strelok" they hadnt so many grenades with them. :confused:

So i think it will be better if only assault squad have grenades on default.

Guz i just dont like grenade spam. It so stupid. :(

And second they are so hard to see in ostfront.

Thats my point and i like to see some changes in next game.

You hate grenades? Why? Grenades are absolutely awesome devices to clear rooms or force enemies out into the open.

Limiting grenades are we? Dude you can't be serious, if nades are limited everyone will throw them instantly as he knows that if he doesn't they are lost.

You hate the nade spam and it's stupid? The nade spam is not stupid at all. People know the maps and throw nades there where they expect enemies, so if you're killed then, the enemy did a good job. Secondly nade spam is a very good ability to keep the enemy from running through a certain ally, street etc. That's why it will still be there in the new game as the veterans will recognize certain sites are similar to those they've been fighting yet.

Nades being hard to see? Good god, don't make me laugh! What do you expect? Red flashlights and sirens? There will be no grenade danger icon, simply forget it.

The only thing about nades I'm sometimes annoyed is the throw distance it sometimes "feels" kinda short

Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
Grenades were very powerful weapons and could kill you from distances further than you could throw them, so I would say it's probably acceptable that their lethality is toned down a bit for gameplay purposes.

Small maps with lots of players often have zones where large groups of enemies tend to bunch up (i.e. danzig, zhitomir, krasnyi oktyabr) and most of the grenade spam is players who don't think twice, blindly pull out their grenades as soon as they spawn and then fling them towards these zones desperately hoping for kills. The problem here is that the grenade is very easy to accurately throw - there is no free-aim element as with the other weapons, as a result it doesn't take a lot of practise to be able to consistently land them where you want them.

I've lost count of the number of times (invariably on public servers) when an enemy sees me and instead of getting into cover or raising his gun, pulls out a grenade and begins the ill-advised zigzagsuiciderun which is an easy kill for any reasonably experienced player. Of course, the same tactic works very well against casual players and so it propagates through the ranks until every man and his dog is doing it, eventually reaching a point where the en masse grenade spam is so intense the only realistic options are to avoid the area or hope you get lucky with your own speculative grenade/shot.

Conclusion: Grenade throwing is too easy for the level of accuracy it gives. If the average player gets good enough to take the prospective suicide grenadier down before he throws the grenade this problem would be reduced. Grenade spammers are unskilled greedy bastards who don't think and are desperate for kills!
:IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2::IS2:

p.s. using grenades as flashbangs is a very useful tactic

Reactions: Hoak
Upvote 0
Somehow I would imagine that you would notice grenades being thrown close to you due to the sound it makes when it hits the walls or ground. Adding that should make it easier and more realistic to notice the grenades. Another thigns that makes you get killed by grenades more often is the inability to run away from a nade as soon as you see it coming your way. Like if you are in IS mode bolting your gun, takes sooo long before you can start getting out of the way that you often die although IRL you would have gotten away =(.

Upvote 0
Somehow I would imagine that you would notice grenades being thrown close to you due to the sound it makes when it hits the walls or ground. Adding that should make it easier and more realistic to notice the grenades.

You don't hear it unless it's really quit which it seldom is. However, you cover a bit more space with your view as you in real-life can more easily look around more. Also it's really easy to warn, hear others warnings and understand that it's directed to you.

The first point would need everyone to have track-ir or similar and the second 3D voice communication. First is a bit to much to require from people but the second could be done but would certainly not always be used.

Automatic yell if you see a grenade close to you could be done but I can see a lot of scenarios where the grenade is visible on your screen but you don't spot it yourself.

Upvote 0
I HAVE SOLUTION!

Because there will be database collecting information
about players, and allowing to use limited classes
(squad leader etc.) based on that.

What if,
If you do 5 nade TK's, let say in two weeks you dont
get nades at all on next 10 played hours.

Offcourse it should be server option so that servers
can keep this option dissabled. So that it doesnt
affect to clan matches, and that it wouldnt be too
hardcore rule for new players.

But in the end it would make end to that "lucky nade"
thing. Where people just throw nades and wish to be
lucky, but end up to get 3x TKs.

Also it would be realistic. Because no-one wouldnt give
soldier grenades, after he have take out own troops
with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tossing things into walls and floors do sound quite a lot. The sound matters if you are in the blast radius of it, so it does not have to travel very far. It would sound less on dirt ground though ofcourse. I have no doubt that it would often be possible to notice the sound in the "background sound of ROOST" if the grenades made a realistic sound when hitting stuff. Will be "background sound in ROHOS" be bigger than in ROOST? I dunno, I just know that being able to hear the nades hit the wall/ground/floor when it's near you will decrease the efficiency of the nades without reducing the reality in other aspects.

Upvote 0