• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Greatest Classic Maps?

If your talking true classic maps (which for me means being played around RO's peak by large numbers and many servers) I believe Stalingrad Kessel really is up with the all time greatest maps in PC online gaming.
If you're looking for a custom 3rd party map it has to be Lazur.
I haven't been playing that much lately so hard to say- but these 2 don't seem to feature as much as they should.

Upvote 0
Custom Classics to add to list

Custom Classics to add to list

Add Tractorworks to the list that used to be played a lot. Also, there was a custom map that was in the works where there was a bridge over a very steep canyon where the German's spawned in the tunnel and had to rush to the bridge or go right, down into the canyon. Soviets were on the opposite side defending. Some really serious infantry action went on for quite some time. Haven't seen that map in ages. Muddy Tigers was actually pretty good and the level designer tried to get Soviet tank riders by putting T34s next to platforms. Just a bit more tweaking due to the Russian Spawn being blown away at near the Ruins B spawn point. Another map that's missing now is a train station left side, river right side in town, and a church objective in the middle. Really well done and balanced but no longer played that I can find. My last I'd add was the map where the entire action was in a large building of some kind. Train station perhaps? There were cellers and basement rooms that you had to satchel a door or a wall to get into the objective or open a new entry point. Needed some serious work though since Germans had only one entrance into the building and Soviets stopped them cold. Had turrets and walls to run around. Needed to bring more game play aspect. Oh, one more that I almost forgot is the one where the Germans attack the post office, then the train station, then the final objective of the Church. There used to be some serious infantry play and the map was quite balanced. Usually came down the Soviets barely holding onto the church at the end. Actually, there is another good one and that was the one where the Germans had to cross a river at two bridge points to get into a Soviet village. The first objective were artillary pieces just over the river and then various parts of the village. That was combined arms and quite good. How can I forget the other combined arms where there was a river crossing for Germans and the Soviets had to blow the bridge to stop the German tank advance? Clown cars, sniper rifles, the works. That was a good one that usually was intense to the very end. Factory II needs to be on the list too. It's a great improvement over the first version and is close to being exceptional. As you can tell, I don't remember any map names but have definetly played way too much RO over the last few years!!! :D

Upvote 0
Plenty of good old maps... When it comes to maps from the mod, Volkhov River was one of my favourites. I also liked Koitos (too bad there so many bugged versions out on the different Ostfront servers).

Red Square was also great... I would LOVE to see Red Square on a 50+ player server. Would be awsome!! Mappers: You should make that one! ;)

But Stalingrad Kessel, that was such a popular map when playing the mod, is still one of the best maps out there:D

Upvote 0
Berlin
Jucha
Spartakovka
Donets
Warsaw
Poniry
Ambush
Sevastopol
Karlovka
Kharkov
Moscow Highway
Road to Berlin
Koitos
Nabruska
Rostov
Red God of War

and so many other maps should be in that list and I hate not remembering the names of them all, of course, those maps are from the mod version of this game, there are a lot of other great maps for RO:Ostfront, but they are not being played, mainly because the most popular servers like "the wild bunch" only run oficial maps

Upvote 0
Plenty of good old maps... When it comes to maps from the mod, Volkhov River was one of my favourites.

I am humbled sir.

.. I've got a version of VolkhovRiver-Classic.rom ready... except I haven't been able to put the time into getting the spawns working correctly... it's just been sitting on my HDD for almost a year now tbh.. :/

Upvote 0
Rostov
Moscow Highway (One of the few maps that forced teamplay in publics)
Berlin
KrasnyiOktyabr(Mod & Ost)
Kauk (I prefer the Ostfront version)
Koitos (Still got what it takes, just some more guys need to play it a bit more to realise this map is one of the best :p)

If I had to choose one overall, it would be KrasnyiOktyabr. This map has stood the test of time very well and is still played in public and clan wars

As for custom maps, BDJ, Tcherkassy & Zhit from ost. Love playing these maps. From the Mod, Volkhov (spelling) was really good.

And yes, of course Sparta ;) Who could forget suicide alley.

If RO2 comes out, I am sure we will look back on a lot of the Ost maps and wish we still had them if they don't make it over.

Upvote 0