• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Grand Theft Auto V

Spoiler!

The 11th of february already passed.
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
I'm honestly excited. It makes me think of the South Park episode where the kids are waiting for the Terrence & Phillip teaser trailer. I know it will probably not show much and not answer any questions but I must admit that GTA is my secret indulgence.

It is a mainstream game, played by more kinds of gamers I would never want to associate myself with, but to me the whole catalogue of main games in the franchise are brilliantly written and crafted gaming experiences. A lot of people were thrown off by the more grounded and serious tone of GTA4, and honestly the violence and tragedy in it was a bit heavy on my conscience at times (random pedestrians being killed or wounded during my escapades even) but I also relished in it. Previous games were fun sandboxes to explore, mess around with and enjoying the clever writing. GTA 4 felt a lot more real and if you really get into the character of Niko it is a very deep adventure.

I hope GTA 5 remains a character driven human experience with an interesting main character. A lot of people could not get into San Andreas because they didn't like playing a black gang member, but I kind of hope for another protagonist like Carl Johnson but with a more serious and tragic GTA 4 tone to the adventure. Niko being a man with a tendency for violence getting into trouble with the criminal underworld against his will was an interesting dynamic, and he is my favourite GTA protagonist for it. It almost made it feel like GTA 4 was offering you the chance not to be a sociopathic murderer, although the main story inevitably forces you into criminal activity and murderous rampages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stupid Americans. Month-Day-Year is a stupid date format. Why can't they be smart and use Day-Month-Year like all the smart nations?

Well, I'll give it this - for organizing files by date Y-M-D is quite useful. For everything else it's utter bollocks and confusing to the rest of the planet :p

I hope the setting will be in Europe - Paris would be awesome, with a soundtrack of French Hip-hop, Ra

Upvote 0
Based on this and this and the design of the logo, I would speculate that it's gonna take place in Los Santos (LA) and in the modern era.

I also have this bad feeling that the map will be nowhere near as big as San Andreas and might even be smaller than GTA IV. The reason being that the game will most likely still be developed for current gen consoles. Due to the fact that the thing that sells the most in todays market is great graphics, they will need to make sacrifices in the "openworldedness" if they wish to compete with other AAA titles.

Upvote 0
I hope the discrepancy between gameplay (where you're mercilessly killing innocent civilians en masse because your "employers" have a problem with them - at the best of times, because at the worst you're just driving on the boardwalk to see how funny the old ladies get thrown about when you hit them at high speeds) and story (where your character has a problem with violence for some obscure reason and is hesitant to commit any sort of crime) is less jarring in GTA V. They dropped the ball on this in GTA IV.

That aside, the GTA games have always been brilliant. Even more so when they went 3d. The radio stations alone made it worth playing the games!

Upvote 0
I hope the discrepancy between gameplay (where you're mercilessly killing innocent civilians en masse because your "employers" have a problem with them - at the best of times, because at the worst you're just driving on the boardwalk to see how funny the old ladies get thrown about when you hit them at high speeds) and story (where your character has a problem with violence for some obscure reason and is hesitant to commit any sort of crime) is less jarring in GTA V. They dropped the ball on this in GTA IV.

That aside, the GTA games have always been brilliant. Even more so when they went 3d. The radio stations alone made it worth playing the games!
I actually thought this worked quite well. Niko has a history of violence both with crime and war which he tries to run away from but because of Roman's debts he ends up rubbing shoulders with the Liberty City underworld and is soon pushed over the edge. An often overlooked and easily missed line of spoken dialogue comes early in the campaign where you fight a knife wielding man in a warehouse near the water. You are supposed to knock this guy out and take his knife and leave him. Should you knock him through the window into the water, Niko will regretfully exclaim that he promised himself he wouldn't kill anyone in this country.

Early in the story Niko quickly becomes jaded and indifferent to American life and "relaxes" into a sociopathic casual approach to death and killing, because apparently he finds this new country to be just like the war back home. By the time you unlock the Bohan safehouse, Niko is only looking out for himself and Roman, looking to amass money, kill his new arch nemesis and find the traitor that got his friends killed in the war. I thought the transition was quite believable, the "I don't want to kill anyone" phase ends early but not too abruptly.

I had a bigger problem with the lapse between gameplay and story in Red Dead Redemption where the story assumes you're trying to be the hero. Going around robbing and murdering people doesn't suit John Marston at all. Niko Bellic works because he comes to America with hopes of leaving death and suffering behind, but finds himself relying on it yet again. Though never stated in the game I assume he may have committed atrocities in the war and beneath his wisecracking indifferent attitude is a very disturbed individual.

Granted, the "best" protagonist of any GTA game has to be Tommy Vercetti in Vice City. From the very beginning he is described as an all out psychopath, and his goal in life is to kill his way to the top of the criminal underworld. His ambitions and murderous personality perfectly matches whatever playstyle the player adopts.

Upvote 0
I always thought the satire, comedy and general spoofing in the GTA verse was layered on too thickly. There is almost no subtlety and it wears a bit thin after a while.

San Andreas was the culmination of this and easily the worst in the series and I was glad they took steps to create a less comical and more realistic world with GTA IV. Hopefully V can continue this trend :)

Upvote 0
I actually thought this worked quite well. Niko has a history of violence both with crime and war which he tries to run away from but because of Roman's debts he ends up rubbing shoulders with the Liberty City underworld and is soon pushed over the edge. An often overlooked and easily missed line of spoken dialogue comes early in the campaign where you fight a knife wielding man in a warehouse near the water. You are supposed to knock this guy out and take his knife and leave him. Should you knock him through the window into the water, Niko will regretfully exclaim that he promised himself he wouldn't kill anyone in this country.
At which point (probably on the way there alone, the way my brother drives, lol) you'll have killed enough people already that even in countries without the death-penalty they'd hang you for crimes against humanity...:p

I see where you're coming from, and the difference is subtle but there, and it's all in the character:

In RDR at least Marston constantly acknowledges he is a bad man and the way I saw his character is that he wasn't done with the violent life he had lead because he thought it was morally reprehensible! In fact he defends his actions on multiple occasions!
In his screwed up little rule-set he did right! The only sin he actually seems to have a problem with is betraying his wife and whoring around.
Mentally, he is a child. Fell for the first woman who was interested in him, even though he knew she was a whore (not my words) and even though she's kind of an ***, and he feels great for doing anything for her, although he really does it to feel better about himself.
This misplaced loyalty is what drives him and it's the only moral rule he has (and interestingly, that's the one sin the game won't let you commit! You can't visit whores)!
Other than that though, he's a cold-blooded killer and blasting a man to bits doesn't seem to bother him more than pulling the wings of a fly would bother a normal person.

So, while I played an "honorable" John Marston, because ridiculous rampages are just that, ridiculous, I really don't think the occasional robbery or dragging someone behind your horse would bother the character a whole lot.

Niko turns out similar later on in the game. He's also a tragic hero who wants to leave his violent past behind but falls back into the same patterns (except they're more psychotic now because he isn't in a war-torn environment of pure violence anymore but a civilized metropolis).
He wanted to quit violence for the sake of quitting violence though! Not just for the sake of staying out of trouble!

The story of how he is coerced, pushed, forced and driven to become a stone cold killer once more is cool, but as a player, and this is the problem I was referring to earlier, you can be a psychotic monster way before it should happen to the character.

Upvote 0
I always thought the satire, comedy and general spoofing in the GTA verse was layered on too thickly. There is almost no subtlety and it wears a bit thin after a while.

San Andreas was the culmination of this and easily the worst in the series and I was glad they took steps to create a less comical and more realistic world with GTA IV. Hopefully V can continue this trend :)

I'm quite the opposite, I GTA SA was the best of the series for me because there were so many things to do besides the storyline. When I played GTA IV I was dissapointed because the storyline was pretty much the only thing to do in the huge open world, couldn't gamble, increase your skills, tune your car, etc. In GTA IV you got lots of money but nothing you could do with it.

Upvote 0
I agree with crusher about the other things to do.

Also I'm personally a bit miffed with all these games that make you the "nice" person in all the cut scenes, who "really doesn't want to be there", yet the moment the cut scene ends you can run over a group of people and he might say "glad this isnt my car!" like he cares more about the teeth that are now imbedded in the carbon fiber of his Porsche than he does for the 10 people who bit the dust to put them there.

The storylines have always felt extremely synthetic to me. To some extent I can attribute that to being part of the GTA world ( over the top ). I have however, really enjoyed the radio and TV bits of the game, as they are a good dose of satirical humor.

He'res hoping the next GTA will have highly customizable cars again, did anyone play GTA:SA and not like that one part of the game?

hmm yes, if they have "buddies" who call you every 30 minutes again... well then I'm just crossing my fingers they let me shoot every one of them. OR let me put my phone on sleep / busy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I though that GTA SA was too unfocused, and I thought GTA IV was the better game for restricting it a bit. Not a better sandbox, mind you, but a better game.

I just hope they finally manage to get the shooting controls right. If there's one thing that plagues GTA (and Red Dead Redenption, for that matter) is that no matter the platform, Rockstar's shooting always is awkward for me, resulting in me having to fight the controls as much as I have to fight the enemies. Now GTA IV and RDR certainly did improve on that, but it's still not ideal.

Reactions: EvilAmericanMan
Upvote 0